The Steigenberger is touted as the grand-old lady of hotels in Davos.
Most rooms have a very nice view south onto the Jakobshorn ski area.
It is in the city centre next to the main road.
We were looking for a super-restful stay with our parents, one of whom is in poor health.
So we chose what we thought was the "best" house in Davos.
From Hotelplan, a major Swiss tour operator, we were offered a good deal, only to find out that once you included dinner, the good deal turned into quite an expensive stay. We took it anyway, as we wanted the certainty of good care offered by five stars and the Steigenberger brand.
On our arrival we were informed that this 5* house had overbooked.
Overbooking in a 5* house??
We were sent to a 4*. Which turned out be the newly built Hilton Garden Inn, a great place!
We still had to take our supper at the Steigenberger, but they had closed their main restaurant for a group, so we were shifted downstairs. The food was good.
The next day we tried to check into our rooms. We arrived at 1130, and were left to wait until 1430 in the lobby. We were offered no coffee nor anything else, nor any clue as to when we could get into our rooms.
The director of the hotel was nowhere to be found.
The staff reacted miffed at our questions as to when we could move into our rooms.
My parents needed to retreat to their room, but were left hanging in the lobby.
The staff was fully aware, but took no interest.
When we finally were shown two junior suite rooms, the decoration was predeluvial, at least fifty years old in style, mismatched, with half of the items looking as if they had come from IKEA or a second-hand shop, and the other half from a Victorian retirement home.
One of our rooms stank horribly of heavy smoking.
Upon pointing this out, we were immediately given another room, which had been redecorated recently, and was correct.
Missing items: No ironing board, nor tea or coffee facilities in the rooms at this 5* Steigenberger.
The TV was modest. The lights had no central switch.
The 4* Hilton next door had had all of these items, plus a much younger and more fun crowd.
The WLAN was advertised at 19.- CHF per day, but upon checking was given out for free.
The breakfast buffet was great, but the waiter-delivered coffee service always slow. A couple espresso machines in the breakfast room would have done wonders.
Dinner was pompous. The food itself sometimes great, sometimes barely average.
The hotel left us with a feeling that the juniors were running the place while the real management had left them to play with the old house. There was no inner core to the exercise, things were hit and miss.
This hotel is in dire need of a total revamp. It is not a 5* as the term is understood around the world.
This summer of 2013 they are supposedly renovating - besides overhauling all the antiquated facilities, they will also need to put a much more disciplined and guest-oriented management in place.
If you can, book yourself into the new Hilton Garden Inn, or into the Intercontinental that is under construction.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stylish and legendary: the Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvédère combines the traditional charm of a Grand Hotel with the exclusive comfort of a modern building. Located centrally at Davos Platz, the guest can not only spend a fascinating winter holiday in the Steigenberger - it is also possible to enjoy a varied sporting holiday in summer. After skiing or a long walk, relax in the hotel's own wellness area with its sauna, steam bath and its spacious bathing landscape. The town in Graubünden is particularly famous for the World Economic Forum which is held there every year in January and for which the Steigenberger Grandhotel caters for the guests' culinary wishes. As far as conference planning is concerned, our staff can always be counted on to provide creative ideas, such as, for example, a day's meeting in an alpine chalet. And for our holiday guests our staff always has special holiday tips for events in the skiing and holiday region of Davos Klosters. Please note Between January 6 and 30 2016, the hotel will undergo essential renovations for the Annual Meeting Davos. The spa area will not be available from January 16-25, 2016. We ask for your understanding that noise cannot be completely avoided during this time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Belvedere Davos
- Steigenberger Belvedere Hotel Davos