“First Class relaxation”

Tschuggen Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Arosa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Just back from the Tschuggen in Arosa. What a great hotel. In brief, the best ski resort hotel I have stayed at in Europe. Why? The easy access to the slopes with the private monorail lift. You have breakfast, you walk down one floor, get your skiis or board...walk 25 meters and then whoosh up the hill in a private james bond style monorail...and then, ski or board. Easy. Also - the Spa. Not as big or as 'natural' as Terme Vals - my other fave, but amazing. the massages were excellent, the 'saunameister' was an experience and the pools were clean, warm and rejuvenating in a great architectural space. The food - only ate at the Bunderstube... if in switzerland, go swiss. Excellent - and a bowling alley for dessert! loved it...kind of kitsch but kind of fun. The other two restaurants looked great, but they are formal and stuffy. Men need jackets...which, tells you the age profile of guests. Not that it is a fussy old hotel... but, you have to have a few Francs/Euros/etc. BUT, it is worth it. I want to come back and see it in the summer.

Rooms are quiet, (get one facing the valley) - beds great, housekeeping excellent, and robes/towels a plenty... honestly, one of the best hotels I have stayed at ever. Loved it. And, the front desk/concierge/etc - all staff, were helpful, friendly and courteous. Amazingly well run.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris_Battersea

Reviewed October 29, 2010

As usual with a member of the LHW group, this hotel was excellent. Extremely friendly and personal welcome (they knew our names when we arrived!) from the hotel director, excellent concierge who provided extremely accurate information about local restaurants and the exact dishes we were looking for. To top it all off, we were upgraded to a huge suite with hi-tech facilities and were offered a free welcome drink of our choice. Got the best sleep ever -- we had to continue with our trip, or we would have stayed on.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2010

The Tschuggen Grand Hotel - wow! My wife and I stayed here in the last week of the summer season (beginning of October). To be honest we were really lucky with the weather: three days of sunshine, and then it snowed on the day we were leaving. Due to the odd time of the year the hotel wasn't full, and we were thrilled to be upgraded to a Loft Suite. We looked up the price of a Loft Suite afterwards, and I can say I'll never be paying to stay in one, so it was great to get that upgrade for free, and to have the superb views every morning from our two balconies.

The Tschuggen is up at the top of Arosa (Innenarosa), and you can walk to the centre of town in about 15 minutes from the hotel. It's not a great location for hitting the town every night, but if you're happy to stay put in abject luxury then that doesn't matter.

There are honestly too many great things to mention in detail, so here's a quick summary:
+ The staff quickly learn the names of the guests (how do they manage this?) and greet you by name when they see you. I loved this!
+ The standard of service if very high. Our favourite waiter (a Mr. Slim) was very professional and friendly, and spoke to us in excellent English. Then I heard him use German at the next table, and French at the table after that. Wow.
+ The food is amazing. On the first night we had cheese fondue outside under the stars, the second night in the romantic LaVetta and in the Grand Restaurant on the third evening. Breakfasts have a huge choice, and many cooked-to-order options are offered at no extra cost.
+ The spa area is extensive, and very nicely architected. It was a pleasure to use, or even just to laze around and read a book there.
+ There's a "James Bond stye" automatic monorail at the back of the hotel that can take guests up the mountain in just a few minutes.

There isn't much to detract from all the wonderfulness, but if I had to search for something I'd mention:
+ The price is not cheap. And it gets dearer in the winter season. I still think the value is worth it, but at the same time it is rather a lot.
+ There's an enforced dress code in the winter months for both men and women in the Grand Restaurant. Some might like this, but it's not my thing.

So, overall, we were both highly impressed by The Tschuggen Grand. Great staff, great food and a beautiful spa. I hope we'll be back some day, when the wallet has recovered.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mcnally64
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed at the Tschuggen Grand Hotel the first week of Easter.

From the pick up at Arosa station to drop off the service was second to none. Although my partner was gutted as we had to turn down the Maybach for the Merc people carrier due to the amount of ski equipment we had - only to see his student sister arrive in it later.

The rooms were what you expect from a 5* hotel - breakfast a sumptious affair with plenty of choice.

The Bergoase Spa is a wonderfully designed piece of architecture. The Spa had plenty of equipment to choose from, plenty of classes (Yoga tutor exceptional). The only downside at the Spa was the pool and the parents who did not abide to the 'allocated kids splash time' peace and tranquility at the Spa did not always prevail !

The Tschuggen also has it's own private mono rail which whizzes you up to the ski slopes in a couple of minutes - luxury.

Hope to be back soon......

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2010

A great five star hotel oozing with quality and no expense sparred on the decor, rooms and general impressions at first were great,
The spa was also stunning.
A couple of points I would like to make concern the fact that despite the hotel beeing virtually empty (summer season) the staff didn't bother to adress me by name. I was the only person in the bar on two evenings and I was just a room number. Petty perhaps but when you stay in such a prestigious hotel unusual.
My second point relates to the foood. Really very mundane and nothing special. Very disappointed by the standard and did not feel that it justified a five star hotel. I was under the impression that budgets were tight. Not so I was told but I would suggest you did bed and breakfast as the food was not the highlight it should be and when you pay so much I regarded as a let down.Other guests felt the same and it was no match for other hotels in the area in Pontresina or Davos.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed at Tschuggen over Easter holidays with two small children. Service and atmosphere was great and welcoming. Spa was one of the best facilities visited also welcoming children. Particularly, every small detail was well considered in this hotel including interior design. I would definately recommend this hotel for other visitors too.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We won two nights in this hotel. Everything was fabulous, the rooms, the view, the staff , the food and especially the wellness oasis. Arosa is not particularly exciting, but the walks out of ski-season are breathtaking and your stay includes an Arosa card that gives you free bus, train and cablecar travel.
Warning: bar prices can be astronomical, but we noticed some of the off-season half-board deals for three days for a couple are pretty good value. Our friends visited us for the day and immediately booked a three day break for their daughter. I think the ski season prices are up there in the stratosphere but for a break in the flowery meadows of summer, an amazing train ride from Chur plus all the pampering and attention you can take, it couldn't be better.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rasputin2016
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arosa
Arosa Kulm Hotel & Alpin Spa
#1 of 33 in St. Moritz
Grand Hotel Kronenhof
Grand Hotel Kronenhof
#1 of 21 in Pontresina

Been to Tschuggen Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!