“Good hotel but expect to pay for it!”

Tschuggen Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Arosa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Overall a good place to relax and pamper yourself!!

I must admit driving to the Tschuggen Grand hotel, I didn't think very highly of the 1960's type building for the accommodation area but it redeemed itself once inside - some areas like the bar reminded me of an old fashioned disco area but then again, I think this is more down to taste!!!
We had the basic room which was nice and functional - not overly decorated or had any wow factor but it was comfortable so can't complain.

The spa area had a special design and we loved spending time there. It was quite big as well.

Breakfast was plentiful and you could order to your heart's content.
Dinner was delicious also. We had a set course meal and the waiters did a good job serving us.

The hotel does offer a free activity card for ride on their rail and other surrounding activites - unfortunately it rained the whole time we were there but be sure to take up the offer if you stay here!

Overall, I think this hotel delivers in terms of service and amenities but expect to pay for it! It's not a particularly cheap hotel to stay in but if you can afford it - why not?

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travellingmaster

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Our stay at the Tschuggen Grand Hotel of Arosa has been superb .The service is incredibly good with every single employee going the extra mile in a very friendly way and being empowered to take immediate decisions. The Bergoase swimming pool is wonderful. I have been alone in the large lap swimming pool (29°C) every day of our stay. The second adult pool is warmer (35°C) and meant for pleasure as it’s full of jacuzzis and waterfalls including a small external pool that you can reach from the inside pool. We did not use the fitness or spa center that looked great. Rooms and cleanliness are perfect with all expected amenities from a 5 stars hotel. Food in the various restaurants is exceptionally good. Arosa’s hiking possibilities are great (although optimistic in their signage duration if you are not an athlete !. The hotel is uphill vs the city center but there are multiple ways to get everywhere in the village through nice "pedestrian only" alternatives. I would definitively recommend a stay in this hotel during the summer months as this is a gem in the Alps.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2011

This is the 5th year my family and I have returned to the Tschuggen Grand and it is without doubt our favourite family 5 star hotel in Switzerland. There is something for everyone, little ones, teenagers, and adults. The private Tshuggen lift up the slopes is just heavenly, the spa out of this world, the swimming pools amazing, the games room fab, staff couldn't do more to help/so friendly - if I had to make one criticism it would be that the main restaurant for dinner tries to be a little to trendy with the food and could do with sticking to slightly more main stream dishes. Markus Breu from the Arosa ski school is an outstanding teacher as well as great fun - highly recommended.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AnnieFSLondon
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stayed (4) nights last week with my wife in a queen size room (room 115, more on this later). First time skiing in Switzerland and it was truly memorable. While I have little to compare, I can't imagine the setting and ski conditions to be much better elsewhere. Highly recommended. Now to the Tchuggen Grand...

Cleanliness: No complaints. Everything was in tip top shape at all times during our stay.

Service: What I would expect from a 5-star hotel. Everyone including car driver, manager, wait and spa staff was really friendly and accommodating. We especially enjoyed the sauna master (Midol I believe is how you spell his name) who provided us with special complimentary treatments and advice. We were greeted separately by the manager both upon checking in and out, which was nice.

Location: Unbeatable if you are there to ski, which I have to imagine is the case. On site is a ski shop with full rental and storage service. We were fitted after we arrived with no issue. We really loved the private ski lift which is for hotel guests only steps from the hotel. The convenience of having this lift at the start and finish of our ski outing was special. No other hotel in Arosa offers this.

Rooms: Comfortable and clean. Not overly impressive for a 5-star, but it did the job (we were hardly in the room). We stayed on the 1st floor in 115. There seems to be a service/facility room direct above as there was a good amount of foot traffic above us during the night. This was especially evident the last night of our stay. I never brought this up to the staff, but I probably should have. I am sure they would have moved us if we requested. If you are looking for a view, request a south-facing room.

Value: Everything in Switzerland (especially at a ski resort) is expensive so be prepared. Arosa is no different. I feel we got the most out of the 585 CHF rate per night, given the heavy use of the spa and ski lift. The food at the hotel was expensive but pretty good. We ate in the bar area twice (not the main restaurant that requires a jacket for men) and enjoyed it moreso than our two dinner outings in town. Overall, we were happy to have paid the extra rate to stay here as opposed to finding another hotel (3 or 4 star) and booking a private spa treatment offsite. The conveniences were worth it!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wballs1977
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Just back from the Tschuggen in Arosa. What a great hotel. In brief, the best ski resort hotel I have stayed at in Europe. Why? The easy access to the slopes with the private monorail lift. You have breakfast, you walk down one floor, get your skiis or board...walk 25 meters and then whoosh up the hill in a private james bond style monorail...and then, ski or board. Easy. Also - the Spa. Not as big or as 'natural' as Terme Vals - my other fave, but amazing. the massages were excellent, the 'saunameister' was an experience and the pools were clean, warm and rejuvenating in a great architectural space. The food - only ate at the Bunderstube... if in switzerland, go swiss. Excellent - and a bowling alley for dessert! loved it...kind of kitsch but kind of fun. The other two restaurants looked great, but they are formal and stuffy. Men need jackets...which, tells you the age profile of guests. Not that it is a fussy old hotel... but, you have to have a few Francs/Euros/etc. BUT, it is worth it. I want to come back and see it in the summer.

Rooms are quiet, (get one facing the valley) - beds great, housekeeping excellent, and robes/towels a plenty... honestly, one of the best hotels I have stayed at ever. Loved it. And, the front desk/concierge/etc - all staff, were helpful, friendly and courteous. Amazingly well run.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris_Battersea
Reviewed October 29, 2010

As usual with a member of the LHW group, this hotel was excellent. Extremely friendly and personal welcome (they knew our names when we arrived!) from the hotel director, excellent concierge who provided extremely accurate information about local restaurants and the exact dishes we were looking for. To top it all off, we were upgraded to a huge suite with hi-tech facilities and were offered a free welcome drink of our choice. Got the best sleep ever -- we had to continue with our trip, or we would have stayed on.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2010

The Tschuggen Grand Hotel - wow! My wife and I stayed here in the last week of the summer season (beginning of October). To be honest we were really lucky with the weather: three days of sunshine, and then it snowed on the day we were leaving. Due to the odd time of the year the hotel wasn't full, and we were thrilled to be upgraded to a Loft Suite. We looked up the price of a Loft Suite afterwards, and I can say I'll never be paying to stay in one, so it was great to get that upgrade for free, and to have the superb views every morning from our two balconies.

The Tschuggen is up at the top of Arosa (Innenarosa), and you can walk to the centre of town in about 15 minutes from the hotel. It's not a great location for hitting the town every night, but if you're happy to stay put in abject luxury then that doesn't matter.

There are honestly too many great things to mention in detail, so here's a quick summary:
+ The staff quickly learn the names of the guests (how do they manage this?) and greet you by name when they see you. I loved this!
+ The standard of service if very high. Our favourite waiter (a Mr. Slim) was very professional and friendly, and spoke to us in excellent English. Then I heard him use German at the next table, and French at the table after that. Wow.
+ The food is amazing. On the first night we had cheese fondue outside under the stars, the second night in the romantic LaVetta and in the Grand Restaurant on the third evening. Breakfasts have a huge choice, and many cooked-to-order options are offered at no extra cost.
+ The spa area is extensive, and very nicely architected. It was a pleasure to use, or even just to laze around and read a book there.
+ There's a "James Bond stye" automatic monorail at the back of the hotel that can take guests up the mountain in just a few minutes.

There isn't much to detract from all the wonderfulness, but if I had to search for something I'd mention:
+ The price is not cheap. And it gets dearer in the winter season. I still think the value is worth it, but at the same time it is rather a lot.
+ There's an enforced dress code in the winter months for both men and women in the Grand Restaurant. Some might like this, but it's not my thing.

So, overall, we were both highly impressed by The Tschuggen Grand. Great staff, great food and a beautiful spa. I hope we'll be back some day, when the wallet has recovered.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mcnally64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arosa
Arosa Kulm Hotel & Alpin Spa
#1 of 33 in St. Moritz
Grand Hotel Kronenhof
Grand Hotel Kronenhof
#1 of 21 in Pontresina

Been to Tschuggen Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!