Sunstar Alpine Hotel Arosa
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfree mini barshuttle servicebar areatrain stationhotel shuttleconnecting doorski shopski schoolby the glassfitness classesbig indoor pooldining roomski roomski gearfirst floornice choicepiano player
Reviewed December 11, 2007

I stayed at The Sunstar this August for the sceond time, having had such a good experience here 2 years previously (booking with Kuoni both times). The location is excellent - very quiet (as it's tucked away off the main road) and with views either of the mountains or the lakes. One of my other reasons for choosing the hotel was that there was no single supplement during the summer, although this does mean haing a single room rather than sole occupancy of a double room.

On my previous visit I had paid a £50 supplement to have a "superior" room for the week, which is basically a room with a balcony, facing the mountains. That time the weather had not been good enough to use it so this time I had not paid the supplement. However, the hotel had allocated me a superior room anyway at no extra cost (maybe it was a Kuoni thing) which was marvellous this year as the weather was beautiful. The rooms had been refurbished since my last visit and although mine was small the bed was comfortable (pillow useless though) and there was a also a reasonably comfortable chair, plenty of storage space, good lighting and mirrors. There was a TV , which I didn't use much, which received BBC Prime and BBC World amongst other channels. The bathroom was great with a powerful shower and a full size bath (perfect for a soak after hiking all day). This year there was also bathrobe and slippers provided which were handy for getting down to the pool in. The complimentary minibar contained still and carbonated water, beer, juice and some other carbonated drinks. I definitely enjoyed a cold beer on the balcony after hiking but thought the brand of still water they provided tasted quite weird - I preferred the stuff from the tap. There were no tea and coffee making facilities in the room which is a bit of a shame when you want that cup of tea first thing.

Breakfast was a good spread including healthy options (home baked breads and interesting cereals) as well as the usual pastries and cooked items. I would recommmend getting there earlier rather than later if you want a guarantee of croissants though. I was on a half board deal which I would recommend in the summer as there are not many independent restaurants in the village and not a great deal of evening activities. This consisted of a salad bar, a soup, a main course with choice of meat, fish or vegetarian option, then either dessert or cheese board. I found the evening meals to be of a high standard if sometimes overwhelming. If you're drinking wine by the glass I would recommend the Swiss wines on the menu as being most affordable and very pleasant. If you're not holidaying with children I would advise getting to dinner later in the evening, say 8pm, as it's quieter in the dining room. There was a large lounge outside the dining room, with a bar, and this was pleasant for sitting and reading (or whatever takes your fancy) after dinner. There was musical entertainment provided, although to be honest it was a little "bontempi" for my liking. The chap was very happy to do requests, however, and plenty of older guests seemed to enjoy it and were waltzing away on the dance floor.

I used the pool (large enough for laps) and the steam room several times as these did not cost extra. Had the weather not been as glorious as it was I probably would have paid for some treatments. The quietest time to swim for adults seemed to around 6pm as most families had gone up to dinner as early as they could. I usually had the pool to myself. There are also pleasant grounds around the hotel if you want to sit out during the day. The hotel do organise several activites each day (you receive a newsletter each evening when your bed is turned down) although I was happy to hike each day instead. All in all, I found the staff to be extremely helpful, polite and friendly - right down to rescuing my suitcase when the railway station had checked it in under the wrong flight number!

A great experience. I will certainly return for a third trip.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Tigs_on_tour
Reviewed January 21, 2007

My family and friends stayed at the 4* Sunstar Park and 3* Sunstar Family hotels in Davos for Christmas. The hotel was situated in the Platz area of the town 100 yards from the main shopping "promenade" The hotel's rooms were very comfortable with a free mini bar restocked daily, The Spa and well being centre together with an attractive pool based on the ground floor with the daily sunshine pouring in is to be recommended for the non skiers. Continual mini buses were provided to transport skiers to the foot of all ski area lifts and collected at set times but happy to telephone time requests. The staff were all 101% and were happy to organise anything required. Ski room with enough boot warmers for all, ski shop on site, pleasant evening lounge entertainment- piano etc. Breakfast superb, 4/5 course dinners, a la carte available, excellent wine list. The only crticism - we all missed our Roast Turkey lunch on Christmas Day ! Will return and/or frequent another Sunstar Hotel in other Swiss resorts . Flowers were sent on our return from the hotel, thanking us for staying at the Sunstar Hotels - a nice touch I thought

Stayed: December 2006
5  Thank xandraSuffolk
Reviewed April 4, 2006

We stayed at the Sunstar Park in the Feb half term. We were very lucky because we left it so late to book that Kuoni sent back the remainder of their room allocation and we got the rooms at a very reasonable rate.

We do like luxury hotels, but as we did not want to dress up for supper after a full day skiing this hotel seemed ideal. We lowered our expectations a little but were generally suprised as the rooms were not too bad. I liked the free mini-bar, even though I only drink water, and the bubble bath. The kids loved the rubber ducks left in the bathroom, but none of us could figure out how to use the bottom warming feature on our toilet - perhaps someone can enlighten us.

We loved the bowling alley (I normally hate bowling), and the fact that the pool was nearly always empty, even during high season.
My Lomi Lomu nui hawaiin massage was lovely, but I wasn't overly happy with completely stipping off for the male masseur, but some people might love that sort of thing.

We hired toboggans one morning which was lovely, and contrary to what another reviewer has written we found the staff at reception very good.

Our little gripes were that there was not a huge selection at breakfast - I put that down to the fact that it was a 4* and I didn't like being sat in the same place every night for supper. Beware they are not totally au-fait with the meaning of the word vegetarian!

The evening entertainment was a bit Oom Pah Pah! and the room was very smokey, so my 6 and 7 year olds refused to stay in there for more than a couple of minutes.

We found the bus service brilliant and punctual, and loved the fact that we could hire our ski stuff from the hotel shop.

You may prefer to leave it in the ABC ski school for a small fee, as it saves having to schlepp it back at the end of the day.

Finally, the hotel claimed that we had not paid in advance for our rooms, and made us pay again. When we got home we confirmed that we had in fact paid in advance, but strangely they never returned my emails or phone calls. Luckily we had paid on American Express and stopped the payment immediately. I want to go back next Feb half term, but I would like an explanation and perhaps an apology.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank ilana613
A TripAdvisor Member
Horsham, UK
Reviewed March 26, 2006

The Sunstar Parkhotel, Arosa, provided a wonderful base for a relaxing weeks vacation. The service and staff were excellent as were the facilities and food. A small but interesting town providing a very relaxed atmosphere for the week. The ski-ing was a bit limited but ideal for beginners or nervous intermediates. If there isn,t enough steep and deep to ski then teach yourself how to snowboard for a couple of days, or learn to telemark, as the slopes are ideal.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2006

The service at the Sunstar stinks!!! Most of the front staff at the hotel are rude, inflexible and not helpful. We will not stay at a Sunstar hotel again. It's a shame because the rooms, breakfast and facilities at the hotel are nice, but cannot make up for the poor service. For example:
- The hotel runs a complementary van service from the train station and to the lifts. We reserved the pick-up from the train station before we arrived, and we still had to wait almost a half-hour for the van.
- After skiing, the van went past us 3 times with a half-empty bus to take people to the train station. Our suggestion: Get another van for high-season or do not claim to offer the service!!!
- We had to switch rooms during our stay, and the front staff was unresponsive when we asked to be able to either check out of our first room later or to check in to the new room earlier. Considering I was not skiing and had a 5-week old to care for, this posed a difficulty.
- Roomrates now include ski passes, which are not transferable -- even to a family member sharing your room.

• Stayed: February 2006