“A wonderful hotel at all times of the year”
Review of Hotel Bellevue

Hotel Bellevue
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Bellevue every February since 2003 so this year I thought I would visit in the summer. Despite being on my own I had a brilliant holiday at the Bellevue. As soon as you arrive you feel at home and all the staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. I had a south facing room and the view was fantastic. The meals are excellent and seem to be even better (if that is possible) than the time before. The breakfast buffet sets you up for the day ahead and then the varied five course evening meal is so delicious. All the fruit and vegetables are from the hotel's own garden. We were even able to have our evening meal on the veranda on sunny evenings. I was fortunate to be there on 1st August (Swiss National day) and the Bellevue was decorated with Swiss flags and, of course, the evening meal was fantastic. I have recommended the Bellevue to friends who now also return year after year. Judith and her staff offer you a warm welcome so when in the Bernese Oberland do spend your holiday at the Bellevue.

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra for a south facing room, especially in the summer
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 24, 2011

The hotel is a bit farther from the train station than we thought, but you get to walk by beautiful downtown Wengen and the church, with stops along the way, so it was worth it. It can be a bit awkward speaking with Judith, although I freely admit this is probably just a culture/language issue. Andi is definitely a stand-up guy, very very nice. Breakfast was amazing.

Rooms were basic, but clean and nice. Sleeping was difficult one night because the guests above us were walking and opening closets constantly, which was very loud, but other nights were fine. The only gripe I had was the absence of the "extra mile" service that is present here in the States. We were on our honeymoon, the hotel was not very busy, and we were offered no complementary upgrades -- not even a free drink at the bar. Instead, we had a view of the neighbor’s house. Now, I realize this is a handout, but come on! Where's the goodwill for newlyweds? Even a mountainview would have been nice.

Overall, the sundeck, views, lounge, breakfast, quiet location, and Andi made it well worth a stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mizzle811
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Just took a little time away from work to relax and spent a wonderful three days in this gem of a hotel - the room was very comfortable and the view outstanding.
Additionally dinner at the hotel was exceptional.
This is a place that I can thoroughly recommend.
The town of Wengen and the walks in the mountains are superb.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I've been hiking in Wengen-Grindelwald for 30 years, with and without children, and only "discovered" this gem 5 years ago while on a solo hike. This hotel's location, a five minute walk beyond the dense cluster of hotels that is "downtown" Wengen, is extraordinary: it looks over the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage Lauterbrunnen valley, providing an incredible view up to the the magnificent Jungfrau. It is quintissential swiss alpine landscape that tourists seek out: quiet, picturesque, amazing mountain views, surrounded by verdant farm fields, glaciers, waterfalls, cows, goats, gardens , and wanderwegs. At night you can hear some if the many waterfalls that mark the valley, punctuated by the tinkling if cowbells.

I've been traveling to Switzerland every year since 1978 and have been focusing
on Wengen over the past ten years. I began at the Hotel Wengenerhof, mostly because when I first looked it up, it had both a red rocking chair, and a red view spot in the Michelin guide rouge. It justifiably deserved those highest ratings for views and pleasantness. The Wengenerhof is halfway between the Wengen train station, and The Bellevue sitting on the edge of farm fields.
It was not until I once arrived at the Wengenerhof and found my long-reserved room was unavailable that I noticed a small sign pointing away from town that said Hotel Bellevue. I tried it for a night and have returned annually for the past 5 years.
It deserves a Michelin red viewpoint award too.

It's cuisine has been moving above typical swiss village basic, reaching into gourmet territory. Last night's apricot festival dinner was amazing. The guest are still savoring the desert masterpiece, Tartelette aux apricots et séré sauce aux framboise. While Wengen is official Swiss German speaking, and dominated by delightful visitors from England, for some reason, they prefer to denominate their best meals in French.

The owner, Judith Graf, is omnipresent. At the front desk to greet you, serves the meals, brings out an ice cold locally brewed Ruganbraü on the terrace, and begins every day inquiring about what the guests would like for dinner. She runs the hotel with formal military precision, but in her traditional swiss farm girl dress she is quite charming, and reveals a great sense of humor to those who take the time to engage this especially busy woman in conversation.

I write this from the breakfast room, enjoying an amazing view of the Jungfrau while drinking an espresso machiatto from the hotel's new fancy coffee machine - one of several new things evidencing much additional investment in the hotel over the past year.

My colleagues traveling with me, two lawyers from WashingtonDC, ask why anyone would believe me. Cynical folks, they wonder how anyone can tell who is a real tourist from a hotel owner writing these reviews. Well, all I can say is this is genuine. Give the Bellevue a look. It's easy to do , indeed, their webcam is the best in Switzerland. Really.

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank TourDeSuisseKen
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We spent two nights at the Bellevue and really enjoyed the quiet. The owners Judith and Andi were pleasant and accomodating. My husband really enjoyed talking to Andi about trains and seeing his train display. Our room, though small was simple and very clean.Breakfast was very good . We would stay there again without question.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EDF26
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I agree with everything the previous reviewer said. This is an exceptional small hotel. The view from our room was postcard worthy! The hosts are extremely attentive and accomodating and take the time to talk to you about your stay and plans for each day. We did not eat dinner in the hotel but enjoyed a delicious breakfast each morning. I loved the fact that the hotel was not in the center of town but down at the end of a little road where the views from the balconies and patio area are spectacular and away from the tourists.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We have been to Wengen 4 times, always the Bellevue, and always a corner south facing room. The view from the room, and from the corner balcony, is of the Jungfrau, the Silberhorn, all the peaks along the Lautherbrunnen Valley, the waterfalls, chalets, the church spire, and more. Without a doubt this is the best view in Wengen, if not the entire Lauterbrunnen valley. Below us are only scattered chalets, not views of other hotels, or commercial establishments. How good is it? I saw a postcard in town..... taken from our room's balcony!! (See my version below.)
At night we hear nothing but the church bell chiming the hour. Quiet. Peaceful.
In summer, the 5 course dinner meal includes fresh ingredients from Judith's garden.
In good weather, dinner is outdoors on the veranda. If you have never seen the alpenglow at sunset over the Silberhorn, while dining outdoors, you haven't lived.
The breakfast includes daily fresh breads from the village bakery.
Don't like the 8 minute walk from the rail station? Then Judith or Andi will pick you up in their yellow electric vehicle for a small charge. If you're jet-lagged, its very nice. After coming so far for an experience in a serene setting in a mountain village with no cars, why would I stay in the center of town?
I've walked all around Wengen to see if any other hotels have a corner room with views both ways. I have seen none.
Once or twice a week Andi brings out the outdoor trains he has in the side yard. Its an elaborately detailed setup, with 5 or 6 trains going at once. One even has a working snow blower. He often gives a number of guests each a controller for a train- letting them have a go at it.
He also does guided tours of the mountain trails in summer, and ski lessons in winter.
It's a small hotel with a small staff- so Judith or Andi may not be able to chat leisurely at some times of the day- but they are very helpful, efficient, and courteous.
I disagree with another reviewer, Murren is not better views- not from your hotel room.
Yes everything in the Bernese Oberland is expensive, but worth it for the unique experience. Add it to your bucket list.

Room Tip: Go for the south facing corner room. Its worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple