“Awesome and will definitely return!!”

Hotel Falken Wengen
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Awesome and will definitely return!!”
Reviewed June 29, 2008

This was our first time to Wengen and had originally planned to stay in Interlaken, but thankfully we didn't. We felt like we had stepped back in time when entering the Falken. The character and atmosphere of the Falken was so relaxing. The warm welcome and beverage from Jenny was a pleasant surprise. Regrettably we were there for only 3 nights but will definitely return. The weather was not cooperative until our last day, but Jenny, Sina and Michael all gave us sightseeing, hiking and dessert recommendations. Our rooms were large and south facing so we had wonderful views even through the clouds. We loved having the windows cracked so we could hear the cow and sheep bells. The breakfast was plentiful with fruit, cereal, assorted breads, cheeses and meat. The location of the Falken is close to the train station, although a hike up a hill. I was very surprised to read a few of the non-favorable comments because we could not find anything negative about the staff, the accommodations or food.

• Liked — Atmosphere, comfort and views
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Oregon
Reviewed August 23, 2007

This old hotel was classic, really lovely, and well kept with lots of memorabilia of the old days. The location in Wengen was fantastic. Get an upper floor room to view the Alps and valley below. We woke up to the quiet sound of cow-bells (and sheep-bells) chiming on the animals as they grazed in the hills near us. We had a corner room that was large (3 beds) with a separate, small bathroom, but it was quite cozy and had antique furniture in it. You can walk everywhere in Wengen, and it was easy to take the gondola to higher altitudes, or train down to the valley. We would definitely come back to this hotel and recommend it to friends!

• Liked — Views of the alps and countryside
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank PNWmom
Sydney Australia
Reviewed April 20, 2007

Upon arrival in this quaint little village only reachable by mountain railway I was met by the porter at Wengen station who took my luggage and skis. I was warmly greeted by the receptionist and given a room with probably the most spectacular view of the Alps anyone could hope for. It is unfortunate that the planners in Wengen have allowed the remodelling of what used to be a period hotel in front of the Falken to become an eyesore, something the falken was by all accounts unable to prohibit. However all the rooms facing the alps (I was on the 1st floor) had a spectacular view and if one raised one's camers a cm or two the photos didnt show the ghastly place on the other side of the tracks and to be honest by the 2nd day I didnt even notice it was there. The skiing in Wengen was fantastic, despite the "lack of snow in the Alps this year", I was able to ski back to the hotel every day, albeit in spring snow but ski in ski out at 1300m is something I am hardly used to after sking in Australia for so many years. The staff have to be the freindliest I have ever met and everyone was always smiling. The food was excellent and on the one occasion that the set menu had something on it that was not to my liking I notified the front desk and the kitchen provided a tasty alternative.
All in all I have never had such a great ski holiday, I was even able to have my skipass posted to my room account and didnt have to go and purchase my skipass in the village before hitting the slopes. The Falken is a Hotel that when you walk through the door you are transported back in time by 100 years, but despite the old world style I was still able to access my emails through their wifi network (small charge was payable).

• Liked — Old world style but the modern ameneties
  • Disliked — Sometimes the pipes rattled but I gues in a Hotel thats over a hundred year old these things happen
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Fred007