“A great escape”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
London, United Kingdom
“A great escape”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

If you would like to escape the rush and tear of life today and take a nostalgic trip into an earlier age of politeness and friendship in quaint, quiet and historic surroundings this is the place for you. It is a family run hotel and has been so for several generations. A small staff work hard to provide for you in a friendly and efficent way. So switch off, take the train to Wengen, enjoy the mountain air and relax at Hotel Falken.

Room Tip: Be tolerant - it is an older place, so perhaps some rooms are not as large as in modern hotels. Nort...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank P011110

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Beautiful views and old world charm, i loved this hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. I especially loved the sitting room with all its sofas and chairs. I felt like i was in the 1940s. If you love boutique-chic this is not the hotel for you. Very clean.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank venice430
vicksburg, mississippi
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I have traveled to Wengen many times and have stayed at the Falken EVERY time. It is the rarest of finds...from the unique and beautifully original furnishings to the truly genuine hospitality of Sina and her family, it is a wonderful treasure. Each time I feel that it is my home away from home and how lucky I am to get to experience that. If you are looking for a holiday you will NEVER forget in the most beautiful spot in all of Switzerland, the Falken is the only choice. The hotel itself is well over 100 years old and every effort in updating has paid attention to keeping the original character of the hotel in in place. There is a spirit to the Falken that immediately makes you relax as you absorb the history and tradition that simply fills every space. There are families and individuals who have been coming to the Falken every year for their entire lives. Obviously there are many reasons for that!! Besides the historic building and the best view of the Valley and the Jungfrau, the rooms are all unique, the beds and down comforters cannot be surpassed, and the food is awesome. Many of the rooms have magnificent soaker tubs in suite and most have balconies with french doors. The dining room is intimate and filled with warmth. Access to hiking and all sorts of activities are right there; nobody knows the area and activities better than Sina and her daughter, whose family has always owned the Falken. I have traveled all over the world, and the Falken is just....special. I trust that it will always stay the same, true to its traditions of welcoming everyone who steps in the door as extended family. Those of us who know...have to go back again and again...!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank dawnmeeks
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Arriving at the Hotel Falken in Wengen and walking in through the great wooden door into the Hotel Lobby was like taking a step back in time. Beautiful Antique furniture carefully restored, wood panelling and original Victorian light fittings set the scene. I was greeted by the owner, Sina Cova and shown to my room. The room too is tastefully decorated in the style of a bygone age with an original Victorian porcelain wash basin and taps, antique chest of drawers, wardrobe and night tables. The window frames and balcony door have been carefully restored so that they seal out what in winter could be a cold draught. On opening them and stepping out onto the Balcony I am struck with awe at what must be one of the best alpine views I have ever seen - the mountain panorama of the snow covered Jungfrau, Silberhorn and Breithorn to mention a few of these epic peak is complemented by the lush green alps and the views of the craggy lauterbrunnen valley. It is early eveneing and the sun is setting and a pink orange glow reflected of these peaks is mesmerising.
Time for a drink, I descend the wide staircase to the lobby, taking in the history of this noble house depicted by framed plans, photos and sketches that adorn the stairwell.
In the bar, which I am told used to be a "writing" room I look out over the village of Wengen below. From the well stocked bar I choose a glass of Falcone - this very fine Italian red which has been seemingly adopted as the house red wine is served to me by a delightful young lady who I later find out is one of the owners three daughters. Glass in hand I wander through from the Bar in to what must be described as the Music room where I find a japanese guest playing the Grand Piano with the professionalism of a concert pianist. Out on to the terrace to catch the last rays of the dying day reflected from the snow capped peaks I relax before dinner. Having seen pictures of the dining room from the early 1900s I am stunned as I enter the dining room to find so much of the original room preserved - from the light fittings to the chairs to the parquet flooring - the fine silverware set on the tables - and an antique sideboard that would make any antique deale's heart skip abeat. Dinner is served, a four course meal with an entree of Melon and Parma ham, then a fresh cauliflower soup, pan fried fillets of St Pierre (a very delicate fish) with seafood cream sauce that both compliments the fish and the turned steamed potatoes and accompanying vegetables. For dessert we are served a chocolate mousse that surpasses any chocolate mousse I have ever eaten. I accompanied my meal with a fine italian Pinot Grigio from the extensive wine list.
After a great nights sleep I woke to that magnificent view of the Alps and the Valley and headed downstairs to the Dining room for breakfast. The breakfast buffet has everything you could possible wish for - selections of breads, eggs boiled or scrambled, fruits, muesli (my tip), Cheeses, cold Meats, home mades preserves - the list is endless.
Sadly I only had a couple of days here - you can rest assured I will return, perhaps in Winter to do some skiing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank JAH227
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed here 2 nights as part of a cycling tour. What a fabulous place with charm and character as well as a cozy bar and friendly staff. The rooms were fairly large and the breakfasts and dinners first rate. If you are coming to the high Alps, the Falken is your place.

• Stayed July 2011
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Nice family run hotel, friendly people, waitresses especially friendly & we appreciated this as they were very nice to our two small girls at meal times-please pass on our thanks to them.
Beautiful views from our room & bathroom facilities excellent,-very clean, but the slippery nature of the very shiny tiles on the floor (when wet) should be considered in this family room, as children (& adults ) could have a serious accident from slipping after a baath or shower.
Beds fairly comfortable but quilts overly thick. Overall standard of the room was good but
felt for a room that was advertised as 'superior' some of the furniture was a little shabby & carpets very threadbare. A kettle & cups for making drinks in the room would have been a very welcome addition.
Brilliant location for a hotel & with two small children we found the proximity to the train station invaluable. Thankyou, we enjoyed it very much !

Room Tip: Our room (24) had excellent views.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sdfg3
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I made reservations for a "south facing room with a view" at the Falken 6 months before our June visit. Upon arrival, we discovered that the hotel was a short walk from the train station, but was not an easy walk, especially with luggage, because it was uphill. When we entered the hotel I was struck by the "older" style furnishings, but nonetheless, found it to be charming. When we opened the door to our room, you can imagine our surprise when we saw a ladder in the MIDDLE of the room leading to a loft. We saw a small window 2'X2' on the far wall. It was not possible to see "a view" unless you were literally standing in front of the window. In addition, the ceiling was sloped and the couch was only usable on one end. Trying to keep an open mind, my husband and I both thought the balcony must be in the bedroom of the suite. But we discovered that it had the same size window and no balcony. After getting over the surprise of being given a room in the attic, we took our luggage back down to the desk and asked for the room that we had reserved. We were told that nothing could be done until later that evening (7:00 p.m.) when someone with the authority to make a change would be there. It was 3:00 so we said we'd leave our luggage and wander around until then. We went outside and walked around the hotel and noticed that all rooms had balconies EXCEPT the attic rooms. When we returned at 6:30 we spoke to a young woman who told us that the hotel was full and they could not give us a different room. And... that our room was an "upgrade". What she didn't know though, was that we had checked out several other hotels which all had available rooms. We were also told that this was the slowest time of year. So when I told this to the girl at the desk, she quickly and quite rudely said she'd see what she could do. But at that point, we were tired, disappointed and disgusted with the way we had been treated. So we told them to cancel our reservations and we went to the Hotel Schonegg where we had an unbelievable balcony with a view and the best food in Wengen. We even stayed an additional night.
We will never recommend The Hotel Falken. For a LITTLE bit more, the Hotel Schonegg is well worth the stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Steve32999
adriana2009, Propriétaire at Hotel Falken Wengen, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
We appreciate every answer and we are always sorry to see someone disapointed, we also believe that this comment needs an answer.
First of all it is our interest as much as yours to make everybody happy. The young lady who tried to sort the problem is the owner and she would not pretend to be full just for the pleasure of making a guest unhappy. This passed June has been very busy for us and we were practically booked out for the whole month. The 'room with a ladder' is our junior suite, it includes one lounge, one sleeping room and a gallery with 2 beds, It is usually very popular with families and we never had complains about this room. Unfortunately there is no way we can add a balcony to that room as we are listed as a historical building
Many of our guests come back year after year because they enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of a Historical hotel and many first time guest love it for the same reason . This is our pride but we understand that it is not necessarily what everybody expects. As you know, although we try our utmost, it is very hard to please everybody.