All reviews buffet style train station lauterbrunnen valley dining room south facing room reception desk old world charm swiss charm charming hotel cable car breakfast and dinner our room was spacious bunk beds each evening jungfrau view family room traditional hotel
Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

This was our first time to Wengen. Hotel was very pretty and lots of character. Beds were sooooo comfortable and we lined the down comforters and pillows!!

Had some mix up about the room. I booked with Expedia and I thought I had specifically booked the room with Jungfrau view and private balcony (which it said on Expedia.). I wasn't given that room but was put in a room with a common balcony, no Jungfrau view. They said that I had gotten the "room I booked." I was confused, because I thought I booked a room with private balcony. They did put us in one after I asked, and it was very nice.

It's a bit far from the train, so coming in late at night with luggage or after hiking, be aware that it's another walk. They will come get you from and take you to the train station. Be aware that the hotel completely closes down at 9 pm. I was trying to work and had problems with wifi, and the person answering the phone was at a different hotel and didn't know about the wifi.

Overall, very lovely hotel. I liked Wengen, but honestly would probably stay in Lauterbrunnen next time. It's more centrally located and would be easier to go up to Schilthorn, Interlaken etc. It also had more restaurant choices. Also one less train trip with luggage when you are coming in from another place.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank CarolinaMomof3
WengenHotels, Manager at Hotel Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2017

Dear guest
Thank you very much for staying with us and your outstanding feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Normally, our reception desk is occupied until 10pm (afterwards it is connected to our emergency phone) and we apologize that you could not receive enough help with the WiFi.
It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you soon again and remain with sunny regards out of Wengen

Reviewed August 15, 2017

As soon as we arrived we were made to feel welcome with an arrival drink. Our room on floor three was well appointed with its own balcony overlooking the valley below and the mountains. The floors are accessed via the stairs or the lift. We were with a group on a car tour and there was adequate parking, even the use of a hose to wash our cars. This hotels location is very close to the railway station and the shops. The food was mainly excellent throughout. The only meal that we did not like was a fish fondue. The family turned out when we left to wave us off. When we arrived home we received a postcard from Family Urs-B. Hauser and staff with a picture of out thirteen cars and all the participants thanking us for staying with them.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with friends
2  Thank David S
Reviewed August 2, 2017

The service at this hotel was amazing, from check-in to check-out. The woman who runs the hotel was truly amazing. She gave great advice, helped us with train passes, restaurant recommendations, hiking recommendations, etc. There were other people at the front desk too, but she was outstanding. Service in general at the hotel was outstanding.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the station, but it's uphill. They have a car service to take your bags to the hotel from the train station, and also bring you back. Of course, no one told us about this car service, and as we could not find a taxi, we ended up actually pushing our bags uphill on the way there. On the way back the hotel drove us down to the train station.

The hotel itself reminds me of something out of yesteryear. It is an older hotel and does not appear to have been updated. I loved the lobby area, the little lounge, the library/piano room. It was all old-fashioned. I saw other reviewers mention Hercule Poirot -- I could totally imagine him staying here. This hotel was truly something out of an Agatha Christie book.

I have never seen anything like the key system they had at this hotel. Everyone's room keys hang on a rack. The keychain is big and clunky, so when you leave, you attach your room key to the rack. There is a small separate key without any keychain that you use to lock your key into the key rack. You take that little key with you when you leave. That key won't open your room, so when you get back, you put the small key back in, which unlocks your room key. At any given time at least one of the keys has to be in key rack. I don't think I've explained it well, but it was the first time I saw something like this and I just liked it a lot, which is why I've mentioned it.

This hotel has a sister hotel in Wengen also (I forget the name of that one), and apparently you can get a discount for dining in that other hotel, but we never tried it.

Our room had an AMAZING view. Truly beautiful. It was nice to have the balcony to sit outside and enjoy the view. Late at night we actually heard cowbells far in the distance somewhere while sitting on the balcony. We LOVED the balcony and I would highly recommend you get a room with a view.

The room itself, however, was another story. I felt the rooms badly needed upgrading and refurbishment. Everything was clean, the bathrooms were clean, etc. However, the rooms didn't have the old world charm of the lobby and ground floor. They were just old. I didn't like the small separate duvets either. I felt they needed some more bedding to make the beds comfortable. The balcony was the best part of the room. Also, our kids had bunk beds, which they loved.

The room had a safe, but it wasn't the typical hotel safe that you operate with a code. Rather, you had to give a 20 CHF deposit at the front desk, and they gave you an actual key to the safe (which you then have to carry around with you). Upgraded safes would be nice too.

We had the dinner buffet one night. The service at the buffet was amazing, in keeping with the service at the rest of the hotel. There was a wide variety of food, but the food quality and taste were just okay. We decided not to eat at the hotel a second night.

Although I feel the room was lacking, I'm giving this hotel four stars because of the service and their willingness to help with everything!

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank whitesandbeach
WengenHotels, Manager at Hotel Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2017

Dear guest,
thank you so much for your excellent feedback, written with such detail and charming words.
We are very happy that we could welcome in our hotel and it is great to hear that you spent such a good time with us. You may rest assured that we will forward your positive feedback to the entire Belvedere team. Thank you also for your inputs and we happily check where we can improve.
We hope we can welcome you again in the not too distant future.
Warm regards from Wengen
Management and the Belvédère team

Reviewed August 2, 2017

My wife and I have visited this hotel twice on trips to Berner Oberland. The staff is always friendly and ready with suggestions for hikes, answers about the weather and anything we might need. Wengen is a nice starting point for a number of local hikes and it's a short train ride to Grindelwald, Interlaken, and the rest of the small towns.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd or 4th floor room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David G

Dear guest,
thank you very much for you excellent feedback and your most charming words about our staff which we will share with pleasure with the whole team. We hope to seeing you again and remain with

Kindest regards out of the snow in Wengen.

Reviewed July 30, 2017

Extremely happy with our 3-night summer stay for family with 2 adults, 2 teenage kids AND 2 dogs, who were by the way welcomed and treated just as nicely as we were!
Very spacious rooms, gorgeous views from the room and private balcony to Jungfrau mountain peaks, and a fantastic service far above what expected, already from check-in at reception.
Charming old-style hotel, with the feel of stepping back in time into a 5-star hotel in the 1940-1960s with classic furniture and style.The Headwaiter in the restaurant is one of the best we have come across in our many travels in Europe, Asia, US and Africa. Incredibly friendly, attentive and very "personal" in his approach. The dinner buffet followed the high standard. Despite appearing small, everything was of delicious and suiting a hotel with more stars. Another very positive surprise considering the dinner buffet price of "only" CHF 28/adult, compared to cost of a simple main course at other Wengen restaurants of CHF 35-45. Very happy with our choice of hotel - whilst Wengen is an expensive place to stay, it is definetely worthwhile and the Belvedere hotel is very good value for money. We will definetely chose the Belvedere Hotel on our next visit to Wengen!

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank RalfHanel
WengenHotels, Manager at Hotel Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2017

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your outstanding feedback written with such detail and charming words.
We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us and fully enjoyed your holidays in every way. Also, we are happy to pass your compliments about the staff to the entire Belvédère team.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in future.
Warm regards from Wengen