All reviewsbuffet styletrain stationlauterbrunnen valleydining roomsouth facing roomreception deskold world charmcharming hotelbreakfast and dinnercable carour room was spaciousbunk bedseach eveningjungfrau viewtraditional hotelfamily roomrestaurant staff
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Booked this holiday through Inghams. Never having been to Switzerland before, the itinery of a train transfer with 3 changes and only a few minutes between was a bit daunting, but all worked well until Interlaken, where the train which should have split further down, didn't. We ended up carrying cases across the line to the Wengen connection, aided by a friendly Swiss railways worker.
We had a room at the back of the hotel - not the best view, but still very good in the morning. We requested a balcony on Inghams booking form and got one! Room was large enough, very clean and the bath was a good feature for aching limbs! Bed was fairly firm.
Food was good, but buffet style meant it wasn't always piping hot, though plent of it. Packed lunch, fairly basic, was included.
The slight disappointment for us was the bar/lounge being virtually empty in the evening. Drinks were not over expensive, 5.50 SF for a large beer.
Overall the hotel was very good, wonderful views from the terrace and reasonably close to the centre.
We bought a 6 day rail pass which meant we could go to all the attractions around the area. Not cheap, but overall we thought it worthwhile as we got to some stunning places. The extra for the Jungfrau was well worth it - we did get a clear day - though be prepared for breathlessness when up there. You'd probably only do the Schilthorn once, so we did and the views were spectacular. Check www.swisspasses.com for offers on train tickets about 2 weeks before you go - we were too late to take up their offer.
If your reasons for visiting Switzerland were to view the amazing scenery, I would highly recommend Wengen and the Hotel Belvedere, which is not a budget hotel, but not the most expensive. If you aren't blown away by the overall experience, then maybe you should have gone elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you wish to pay extra, choose a valley facing room. If not, you can still enjoy the views from the terrace!
2  Thank dave_pCheshire
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I recently stayed in Wengen for 4 nights at this hotel. I arrived a few hours before the standard check-in time but my room was ready so they let me sign in early. The staff were friendly, rooms clean, and the view incredible. The buffet in the evening was a bit pricey (that is Switzerland though!) at 25 Francs but it was delicious.

Internet was available in the lobby but cost 5 Francs/30 min. They gave a card when you signed in which gave various discounts in the area, one of which was free internet use at the visitor center. It was only about a 5-10 min walk there. Internet in the hotel is way more convenient but I dislike paying for it so this was the next best option since I had to use it during my stay.

Overall it was a great hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I first came to this hotel for skiing in January 2012 and liked it so much that I returned with my wife for a summer walking holiday in September. Its appeal lies in the friendly and efficient staff, the relaxing atmoshere, the old-fashioned charm and character of the building and furnishings, good meals (buffet style), the spacious, adequately equipped bedrooms, the quiet location, and value for money. The staff catered for my gluten-free diet by providing bread and breakfast cereal, so saving me the trouble of having to carry them out there, and always ensuring I had a good evening meal; occasionally I was limited on desserts but there was always cheese. We plan to return.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south west and on the higher floors have a better view.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The view of the Lauterbrunnen was the reason we chose Hotel Belvedere, and we were not disappointed it was stunning, but there was so much more, the Hotel had a wonderful ambience,
the room was spacious and the Staff friendly and efficient. Food was excellent and the buffet style meals were relaxed yet organised.

Room Tip: Chose a High floor with South Facing Views. Fabulous!
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were so pleased with our stay here. We'd met a couple in the train station on our way up who were staying at the same place and they didn't seem all that excited about it so we weren't sure what we were getting into. I don't know what they were complaining about. Yes, it's old, but in wonderful condition and very clean. We loved the views out our balconey. Doesn't get much better than this. Furnishings were old, but well kept. We happened to be there during the 100 year anniversary in June so had a really wonderful buffet style dinner. The breakfasts offered a wide variety of food. It was such a quiet, quaint place. We loved the sunroom type area to lounge. Nothing in Switzerland is a bargain but this was worth the money and we enjoyed our 3 nights here. Hotel staff was outstanding and friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the valley. Also, be sure to time your trip to arrive earlier than the last train, which was 9:30. We didn't have much time to enjoy the place that night.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends