“Sadly things have changed”
Review of Hotel Caprice

Hotel Caprice
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
UK
“Sadly things have changed”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here last year as a group of eight and loved it, especially the food so decided to return; Dominic was the chef then but has left.
The hotel location and rooms are still fantastic, but dinner every night for a week was terrible.
First night consisted of vol au vent with a thin mushroom sauce, mushroom soup, then all 3 main course choices came with mushroom sauce, this time with a mild curry flavour. Bad luck if you don't like mushrooms!The next night had an basic antipasta starter with slices of peppers and the main course was a tough pork steak which most of us couldn't finish and the only veg was slices of pepper, same as the starter, so we asked to see Anne Marie, the manager. We showed her the mostly unfinished food and she agreed to do something about it.Unfortunately without much success.
Every night was very disappointing. Frozen deep fried dutchesse potatoes, bright orange reconstituted powdery mash potato, salty soup, including a bright green leek soup.
Carlos the waiter is still there, but he struggled one night trying to serve 24 people; dinner took two and a half hours and we reverted to pouring our own wine!
We loved our first visit, but if you stay here, go B&B as the breakfast is still great, as are the south facing rooms.

Room Tip: South facing rooms; large, great views, balconies
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank PhilnSheila
ajnmail, Owner at Hotel Caprice, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear PhilnSheila,

Thank you for your review, which I sympathise with absolutely!

I was in the restaurant myself dining with 5 guests during the evening that Carlos, who is the star of the Caprice waiting team, had to cope with 24 guests at table. I noticed that another member of serving staff was not helping, and as I do not interfere in the operation of the hotel, I called the Hotel Manager at home to enquire why? Unfortunately she took no action, and the poor service continued. At 9.55 I went to the lounge with my guests, and the other member of staff did not come to serve us. At this point I lost my patience, and asked the other member of staff, who was at Reception to help. His abusive and threatening reaction led me to fire him on the spot, and he left immediately.

I also agree with you about to the inferior quality of the Restaurant food this winter. Suffice to say that the Chef de Cuisine was fired on 16th March, and the number 2 chef will leave at the end of the Season (7th April). However with some cajoling from myself her food has improved in the last week or so.

I am very happy to confirm that from the beginning of the Summer Season our renowned Chef de Cuisine, Gunter Burgraff, who was the Chef during the last 2 summers, returns and will also be with us for the next Winter Season. Carlos the Head Waiter will also be here, of course!

I appreciate the loyalty of yourself and your friends, and I sincerely hope that you will return again to Hotel Caprice. When you do I would very much like to entertain you one evening as my personal guests.

Alan J Norris, Owner and (now!) General Manager of Hotel Caprice GmbH.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and daughter ( aged six) live in Bangkok so we wanted snow and lots of it , we got that as Anne Marie the hotel owner wore her lucky jumper ! I am lucky as I stay in around forty hotels a year, usually I find something to complain about but this hotel was perfect for us , fantastic staff , amazing views , great meals , lovely mix of people , nice room overlooking a huge mountain , by the end of our five days my daughter was apprentice log fire maker each evening , in all honesty look no further this hotel is perfect !
We will return again next year , in all honesty Wengen is pretty much the perfect village ski resort and Hotel Caprice is the ideal place to stay .

Dave McLean Bangkok

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank David-Mclea
Leeds
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Caprice recently and had the best of trips. Anna Marie and her team were so helpful and made us feel welcome from the minute we arrived until the day we left. The views of the region are outstanding. The food is particularly good - excellent choices each evening, and great pre-skiing breakfasts with plenty of freshly cooked options. There's free wifi (and laptops to use in the lounge if you need one), a fabulously warm ski room and outside bar and seating. I also particularly enjoyed sampling the excellent wine list!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Louise L
London
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Caprice is ideally situated just a very short walk from the station and literally meters from the piste.

Our room was very comfortable, large and bright, had a whirlpool bath, and a balcony with stunning uninterrupted views of the Jungfrau and the Lauterbrunnen valley. This last feature is shared by all south facing rooms, as well as the dining room. There was a lovely lounge with a large log fire, a ski room on the ground floor, and a sauna.

The service was second to none. As an example, our bedroom was prepared whilst we were having our lovely evening meal.

As has been said many times by other reviewers, the most exceptional feature is the staff, who were welcoming, very friendly, efficient and each of them always hit exactly the right tone. We were made to feel valued by all, including the maitre d’ Carlos, the manager Annamarie, the receptionist Michelle and all the others we had direct dealings with. We even had the pleasure of meeting the owner Allan, who also very welcoming and friendly.

We would have no hesitation in staying there again and will happily recommend it to all our friends.

Marika and Steve

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stephen M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at the Caprice this year and would not hesitate to stay again.

I take all the main aspects of The Caprice - room comfort, quality of the food, customer service as a given - they are all superb, but am always delighted with the stunning view from my room across the valley, the fact that the Caprice boot room is approx 25 metres from the end of the ski run and the main Station and Cable car to the piste are only a couple of minutes away.

In my view, this Hotel is the best positioned in Wengen and a great place to 're-charge' after a 'hard day on the mountains'

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the valley - most of them do! Higher or lower floors don't really mak...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Stamfordwinner
Zurich
Reviewed January 29, 2013

It was our first time staying at the Hotel Caprice in Wengen. While the rooms are rather average for a luxury hotel, the service and the staff made the experience just wonderful! One small example of their hospitality...we needed to check out early in order to catch the first train back into the valley - the staff happily checked us out the night before, and gave us a "breakfast box" for the early train ride home. The 5-course dinner in the restaurant was exceptional quality for the value and above all, the central location was ideal. We will be back!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a bath tub with jets...great for after a long day of skiing. Request one of these ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DRPenev
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

After years of visiting Wengen for family holidays, staying in different hotels and chalets in the village, we had the pleasure of staying in the Caprice this week. It is a minute walk from the train station and you are immediately greeted with friendly staff and incredible views!

There is no request to big for the staff to help with, they were extremely accommodating and very pleasant. The food is stunning, with a five course meal every night. (breakfast is also delicious with fresh hot food made to order - perfect for a day on the slopes!) The log fire awaits you as you return from a hard day skiing, and the lounge is super comfy.

There is a ski room situated beneath the hotel which is fantastic when you have your own skis and don't store them in town. The lounge and dining room overlook the stunning Jungfrau mountain and the lower village of Wengen. You also get the same views from your homely, spacious bedroom. It is a two minute walk to the cable car to take you up the mountain, or a one minute walk to the train station.

I don't have a bad word to say about the hotel or staff. Extremely pleasant and relaxing holiday - Thank you Hotel Caprice!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family