“Still a very pleasant hotel in a fantastic resort but not as good as it used to be”

Hotel Victoria-Lauberhorn
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
Reviewed January 9, 2010

I last stayed here 7 years ago and on that basis, we reserved rooms for an extended family group including a small child and a teenager with lactose intollerance. Overall I found its standards had significantly dropped since my last stay.
The decor is certainly a little "loud" (bright blues and orange) and distinctly 1980's. It is a very clean hotel, fresh feleing , light and airy. All the staff I met are pleasant. Do not expect fluent English however as this is mostly a hotel used by French and German speakers. It has a pleasant bar area, and lounge. Internet connection is free but only available in the lounge area not in the bedrooms. The rooms are not large but VERY clean and with enough room to hang clothes. The bath towels are on the small side. The beds are comfortable but again, traditionally a double bed is two singles pushed together. So if you like a romantic "huddle" in the middle of a double bed, you wont get one here in these beds!!! Some rooms have a balcony. Most have just a shower. In keeping with most continental hotels there are no coffee or tea making facilities in the room. (after all they want to sell you coffee and tea not give it away for free!!!) The Spa, sauna ( regrettably everyone seems to go naked in this one which meant I for one did not use it even with my costume on. There are some things I do NOT want to see on my holiday!!) and pool are absoutely fantastic. It is a great place with a sun bathing scenic view room with sun loungers above it. The pool has a Whirlpool, jacuzzi style stainless steel under water sitting or lying seats, water fountains etc. Arm bands for children can be loaned for free. Towelling robes can be hired. There is also a very large play room with football table, pool table, childrens/baby corner. Books for adult borrowing and reading are in the lounge. There is a welcome drink evening once a week and a weekly gala dinner.
The negatives. Having informed the hotel of my daughters dairy allergies, we had to work hard ALL week to remind them of this at EACH meal. Where a course had dairy in it, no different meal had been made for her, she was just not given anything to replace it or given a bowel of slad with the diary bits taken out!!! This time for example, she was offered only fruit for pudding each time. When we last visited they made her a completely different meal each time which was fantastic.
Charging us 5SF for a jug of ordinary tap water at supper is utterly outrageous!!! I do feel this hotel is now into "rip off" tourist mode. I found by the time you had "hired" a key to get into and out of the ski room, "hired" a towelling robe to go down to the pool, been charged to drink ta water with your meal, been offered VERY expensive prices for quite ordinary plonk and eaten a 4 course dinner each night which was very ordinary, the hotel started to lose some of its old. appeal. BUT I'd still stay here for the pool and its position in the village alone.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kootenaylass
There are newer reviews for Hotel Victoria-Lauberhorn

Reviewed October 28, 2009

This was my first vist to a ski resort. Wengen was absolutely stunning, scary but stunning! Arriving at the train station we were picked up by the snow taxi to take us to the hotel. A short 2-3 minutes later and we were there! And wow....a picturesque hotel...in a picturesque location. The hotel was absolutely devine. Within minutes of arriving we had been checked in and handed our room keys. Our bags had already been taken up to our rooms. 1st class service.
The suite that we stayed in was divine. It included a small balcony of the main bedroom and a walk in wardrobe....every womans dream!
Skiing was extremely scary to learn but something that I am glad that I did! And coming back to the comfort of the hotel each evening to sooth my aching bones in the comfort of the bar, or the dining room. Stunning.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenniferClaire86
Reviewed September 6, 2009

I had stayed at this hotel twice on family holidays with my parents over 10 years ago. We had decided to return with my parents, husband and brother this year and were looking forward to a lovely stay in this fantastic resort.
After booking, we found out this hotel was no longer a family run business but part of a larger chain. From experience this can sometimes mean a reduction in quality and hospitality but as it is not a 100% rule we were willing to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt.
We had a 12 hr journey and upon arrival were given a rather curt welcome and given our keys. I wouldn't call the welcome overly friendly and we were left to find our own rooms without any explanation of which floor they were on. The rooms were tiny and we had to weave our way around the crammed furniture. The hotel facilities brochure was a poorly photocopied sheet of A4 paper and there were very few facilities in the room such as tea and coffee making facilities. Despite all this, the room was very clean.
We were staying half board as on previous visits the food had been excellent. Sadly this had changed. The food was bland and unimaginative and there was no choice given.
Tap water unbelievably cost 5 francs per jug!
The spa was one of the nicer parts of the hotel with a great saltwater pool. The sauna and steam were available if you were willing to follow the rules and go in with no clothes on!! We weren't that brave!
In summary this hotel is ok if you want basic hotel facilities. If you want the traditional warm swiss welcome, i'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Cambs11
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Just returned from a week's stay having booked with Thompson Ski. The hotel is in a fantastic location right next to the station and only a minutes walk from the Mannlichen cable car lift. We had room 219 - basic with no balcony and not a great view. Room was clean and serviced every day but was very small. That said, we spent very little time there so wasn't a real problem. Beds are comfy and lots of storage space. There was a safe in the room and a hairdryer was provided. CNN and BBC Prime on the TV. Bathroom was good with shower gel, soap, flannels and tissues provided. Towels changed whenever you wanted.

Food was good and plentiful. Breakfast buffet with a small amount of hot food and tons of cereals, meats, cheeses and rolls/crossiants etc. Dinner was at least 4 courses - some served, some help yourself. Food was typically continental but was good and always served hot. We had no problems with service either in the restaurant or bar. However if you are looking for atmosphere you probably won't find it at the hotel bar - the typical age of resident was slightly older than us so we went to the Rock Bar around the corner - slightly cheaper but was also non-smoking - a big plus in Switzerland.

We didn't use the spa facilities but they were highly rated by others at the hotel.

Ski locker rooms were good but not heated and comes out right onto the main street in Wengen. If they hadn't cleared the snow, you could almost ski down to the door from the mountain.

All in all we were very happy with the hotel and the service we received. I'm guessing major improvements must have been made since the last report posted or perhaps the staff were just having an off week then?

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Virgo149
Reviewed December 14, 2008

This hotel should never be a 4 star!!!

Wellness centre and pool was excellent, thats where the good points end!

Bar was poor, service very slow, restaurant service poor, wouldn't have fed the food to a dog. After paying for 7 nights half board, only ate in there one evening, sat down a few other nights, but was inedible.

• Stayed: February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank charlatanefc
Reviewed October 27, 2008

We booked this hotel because my boyfriend decides to run the Jungfrau Marathon the next morning so it would have been a good idea to spend already a night in this area to avoid early morning traffic.
As we planned to arrive late in the evening, we give the hotel a ring at the day before to ensure that we still could get some dinner at this time than (necessary before running a marathon!). They confirmed this on the phone. The same evening, we had to wait in Lauterbrunnen to get the train there, again a call and we were told that the restaurant is already closed at 8! No chance to get any food, they told us not be able to organize something.
So we found some fast food in Lauterbrunnen instead of having a nice dinner in Wengen.
Arrived in Wengen, the hotel is very close to the train station. All rooms were booked in this area (this was the reason why we choose this hotel) and we got the "economy class" room we booked, surprisingly a good room, very clean, sleek, just okay for the night.
The bad surprise came the next morning - the marathon runners got their breakfast earlier which was kind of strange as all people were seated at only one table. I decided to get up later, the breakfast room was nice decorated but the staff fôrced me in a very unfriendly way to have my breakfast at a long table in the middle of the room and not on a smaller table for 2 people in a quiter area. They didn't hesiate even to put other people next to me (other tables were free as well!) without even asking. The tables were not clean and they didn't remove the dishes.
The breakfast quality was basic till aweful. The cheapest orange juice I've ever seen or tried (20% juice and the rest water and sugar), fruits were not fresh with dark and fouly spots (!) and the muesli was somehow fermented and tasted bad. I instantly complained but the breakfast staff was hardly ble to understand or speak either German, English, French so I went to the management. No understanding here at all! I decided to leave this hotel immediatly. I tried to leave our luggage there for a few hours until the marathon was finished - we checked this before booking that the luggage can be stored into a separate, locked (!) room not accessible for everybody (I came directly from work so took my notebook etc with me). Surprisingly, the luggage room was an open stall in front of the hotel where everybody could have access to (!)
I was again not sure if I really was at the hotel I initially booked... The management was complaining about that I didn't liked it (how could I...!). I mad an issue of the whole situation and finally they allowed to put our luggage in their office. I had a discussion with one who was supposed to be the hotel manager. But this didn't changed anything.

I do not often made such bad experiences in hotels and I stay 40 out of 52 weeks per year in hotels all over the world. I'd never expect to find such situation in Switzerland. But the hotel itself was okay, we didn't tried the wellness area which is may be good, the rooms and location is okay as well, the only problem here is the management and the staff and their behavior. My personnel impression is that they do everything to make you your reservations there and than they did their job and don't care.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank reiseschreibmaschine
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Overall the quality of the hotel was good. Below are some points that you may find useful to know.

1.The staff were friendly and helpful
2. The rooms were clean and tidy, although the sheets got never changed during the week we stayed there.
3. The buffet breakfast served a variety of things such as, cereals, brown and white breads, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, jam, cheese, ham slices etc
4. The hotel has a wellness area, where guests can book massages etc the pool is excellent with lots of jets to relax aching muscles (they add 2% salt in the water), wonderful view of the mountains whilst you swim.
5. The rooms has cable tv but only two english channels (CNN and BBC Prime), everything else is in french or german.
6. The location of the hotel is very close to the wengen station, 1 min walk, however, it is a no car zone so if you miss the last train from Lauterbrunnen, there is no way to get back to your hotel until the next morning. ( I think the last train was at 10.40pm)
7. Wengen is about 15 min from Lauterbrunnen and 25 min from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken) Please make a plan for your route before booking which swiss airport you want to go to, it takes a little more than 3 hours from Zurich Airport to reach Wengen.
8. Wengen has quite a few hotels and restaurants. Shops close at abour 6:30 so if u want to buy some drinks or other snacks be sure to buy it then.
9. It is extremely quiet and seems like no mans land after 10pm... so if your young and not too crazy about hiking only, then u may get bored. Three nights should be good enough to enjoy it.
10. Wengen has some great views, fresh air and lovely waterfalls! excellent place to relax.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple