“Excellent...will definitely stay here again...”
Review of Hotel Baeren

Hotel Baeren
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
Reviewed September 1, 2010

First of all, all Bernese Oberland visitors, staying in Interlaken is NOT staying in the Alps.

For a true Alps experience, I would recommend staying up in the mountains. We chose Wengen becoz it was enroute to Jungfrau and had train connectivity.

Hotel Baeren is a charming private hotel a short downhill walk from the railway station.
When we reached there on a late Sunday evening, we found our keys ready for us.

Our room was small but charming and tasteful:). It was very very clean. The bathroom was tiny but clean.The hotel had a lot of thoughtful touches like an international plug convertor/free wifi/restaurant lists/coupon books etc. The view from the room and the balcony was breathtaking.

The biggest highlight of this place is the FOOD! I would stay here again just for their 3-course half-board and their amazzing breakfast bread and cheeses.

This place has hands down the most amazing food in Switzerland for a great great price.
We are vegetarians and they were very very accomodating with veggie food.

The couple "Willy and Therese" who run the place and the entire staff was amazzing.

We had only planned to stay here for 2 nites and stay down in Interlaken the third nite to catch an early train...but we enjoyed this place so much..that we extended our stay!

They even packed us lunch as we were leaving early. They did goof up a lil bit here and accidentally packed us meat sandwiches(I believe our package got mixed up with another party of 9 which was leaving that morning too).

Pros: Food
Views
Cleanliness
Very reasonable compared to interlaken.

Cons: Not the 4 seasons(views and food beat 4 seasons)
No elevator(not a big problem at all as we travelled light and there are only 3 floors i think).
Water is so expensive everywhere in switzerland(the hotel charges a 3 euro water charge per table if u dont buy wine and take the half board).

1  Thank Poozza
There are newer reviews for Hotel Baeren

Reviewed July 20, 2010

Based on tripadivsor reviews I stayed at the Baeren Hotel in Wengen after staying at the Eiger Guesthouse in Murren. The Baeren has some cute touches such as a teddy bear in the room but it is ok at best. The room was very small and overpriced. The view cannot quite rival what is available at the Eiger Guesthouse in Murren. I had a decent stay but want to caution those influenced by the high rating of this hotel on this website.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PascoBob
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My partner and I made a spontaneous decision to head to Wengen to do some hiking. We were hoping to make it an affordable trip - Hotel Baren was just what we were looking for. The room was clean and had a wonderful balcony view. Be aware that the room is small and the walls thin. They do not provide any amenities besides internet. Breakfast was included with the cost of stay, and a discounted pre-fixe dinner. The restaurant is spectacular and creative! The food is incredibly fresh - vegetables right from their garden.
The hotel owners and staff were so friendly and helpful. Therese gave us great recommendations for hiking and traveling beyond Wengen. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to a friend!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from 11 nights at this Hotel. I was a little apprehensive after reading a negative report on T.A about the Vegetarian menu. As a Vegetarian who does'nt eat Pasta this can be a problem. However, I need'nt have worried, Willy and the team produced the most mouth-watering meals I have ever tasted. No menu was repeated and not an Ommelette in sight,which is what I am usually offered in other Hotels.I agree fully with another comment on T.A. that there should be a Baren cookbook!!!! The buffet breakfasts were the best ever.The choice of cereals, breads, fresh fruit, croissants, juices and home made jams were the best we have ever had and the fact that you can cook your own boiled egg to your liking in the little 'gadget' was a bonus. In other Hotels they have usually been boiled en-masse and are usually all hard boiled .( I like a runny yolk! )The room was a decent size with enough room to store 2 suit cases. We used the balcony every evening after a days hiking. The staff were amazingly friendly, helpful, informative with good knowledge of the area. Thank you Jana,Evelynne ,Tanya B and all. Thank you Therese for the ice-pack ( I got my knee checked over, it's a damaged Cartiallage).Do not listen to any negative reports on The Baren ,it really is a little gem of a place and we will definately be returning, (room 201 if poss!) Thanks to Willy for the lift to the station when leaving.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Baren in the middle of June for 3 nights.
We arrived in Wengen by train from Luzern which was very easy to do (the Swiss trains run on time, and are sooo clean!).
From the train station you can go left to the 'downtown' of Wengen, or turn right and head down towards the Hotel Baren.
It is a bit of a walk, a little steep, but if you aren't into walking or in shape Wengen isnt for you as its all about the outdoors, walking and hiking trails.
When we arrived at the hotel our key was out for us and we let ourselves into the room.
The room was immaculate and it was a decent size with a great little balcony and table with a view.
The duvets are super comfy so we had an excellent sleep.
Overall its very quiet and peaceful- we slept like babies because it was so nice and quiet, except for the sound of cowbells in the distance.
Wengen is such a beautiful place I am so glad we included this in our itinerary.
Please opt for the half board option because the breakfasts and dinners were amazing!!
We ate like kings every night- the dinners have that amazing home cooked taste, and you can see the garden where they pick their veggies and herbs from - so fresh!
Theresa was excellent, as were the rest of the staff- always friendly.
On our last night the server packed us a lunch for the next day because we had to leave well before breakfast- it was very sweet! She packed us sandwiches, Twix bars, tomatoes, bread, and cheese.
The hotel also has a complimentary computer for guests to use in the lounge area.
The restaurant was well appointed with a great view (while every spot in Wengen has a great view).
The only thing we could have asked for was a fridge for the room- but they do have a communal fridge with drinks you can purchase on the 2nd floor (on the honor system).
We had hoped to visit the Jungfraujoch but it was socked in the first day, and the second day the trains were shut down because of the winds.
We did take the train to Kleinne Scheidigg and did some hiking, it was a blast.
We also hiked down to Lauterbrunnen and took the cable car to Grutschalp, and continued our hike to Winteregg.
We also took advantage of the half price admission to the spa pool in town- it was soo worth it after a day of hiking (spa pool, sauna & steam, with towels and showers included).
I would highly recommend the Hotel Baren if you ever find yourself in Wengen (and you should!)

1  Thank Samson13
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Returned from one week at Zum Baren.OK,the rooms are basic but comfortable enough.The food, however was excellent,some dishes quite inventive and exquisite and often using produce from the garden.Also wonderful homemade jams at breakfast,particularly the plum jam.Guests have use of a kettle and tea/coffee on the upper floor.Lovely friendly atmosphere and staff.We were lucky enough to be able to eat outside on the terrace most nights due to exceptionally good weather ,but the dining room is also very pleasant

Reviewed July 2, 2010

I've reviewed the Baeren before on this site, having stayed there several times, and have praised it highly at every opportunity, especially the restaurant. Having bought a small apartment in the town a few years ago, my wife and I no longer stay at the Baeren but we do still eat there two or three times a week. Despite the fall in the value of the pound we both still think it is the best value for money in Wengen.

A main course at the Romantik Hotel Scheidegg, for instance, will cost more than the four-course set menu at the Baeren. And it's not just the value. It's the service, and the warmth of the welcome. Therese and Willy Brunner are top-notch hosts, and their team follows their example. Anyone who thinks the Swiss don't have a sense of humour should spend two or three evenings eating at the Baeren and bantering with Therese and her staff.

When I was younger, I used to think what must it be like to walk into a bar or a hotel where everyone knows your name and what you would like to drink. Now I know. And it's great.

1  Thank BrianBollen