“Fabulous view, awesome room, nice welcome!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Baeren

Hotel Baeren
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Wengen
Washignton DC
“Fabulous view, awesome room, nice welcome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

What a treat! Incredible view out of the window. Great balcony with flower beds, wonderful wooden floors, spacious modern bathroom, everything organized just right. Wonderful personnel and owner, who came up to us and chatted about the local hiking trails. And delicious food at the restaurant downstairs. Could not ask for anything better!

1 Thank Kusatzu

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

There are not so many family owned inns left in Wengen. This is one. Therese (the wife) was cheerful and helpful, with good suggestions for activities during the poor weather we encountered. Her husband Willy does the cooking. Our first room was small for 210 francs (with dinners for two), but we changed to a balcony room with view for 240 francs and it was an immense improvement. If you are going to stay here, get a balcony room. Room was large, all modern with great taste, very comfortable beds, views. Meals are included (if you pass on them you save 20 franc each) and are a terrific value at that price. They charge 48 franc for them for non-residents, and that is a very fair price for a very high quality meal.

Room Tip: Pay more for a balcony room, they are larger and have great views.
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed one night to celebrate my sister in laws 40th birthday in August. They absolutely loved wengen, and as a treat and birthday present we paid for their rooms (one for the kids, one for the parents). They stayed on the 3rd floor, the parents in The Lobhorn room with a lovely bathtub with views of the mountains and the kids on the other side of the hallway in an old, unrenovated room.

We had been promised a "family room" with 2 rooms together connected via a door, however, this was not the case. The kids are only 6&7 and therefore not good sleeping alone in their own room. We ended up nt saying anything about it because they loved the bathtub so much in the lobhorn room! My mom and I stayed on the floor below, also in a renovated room with a great view. We did have a lot of noise from the kids above, but I think it was from my nephews and they went to sleep at10 so night was quiet. It was a bit too warm in the room but I guess we could have adjusted that.

The dinner, which is included in the room price(you can opt out of dinner if ou want to, but you really shood not!) was fantastic 4-course meal. Very creative with Swiss food dishes also included with a twist. They also have a fantastic list of Swiss wines at reasonable prices. The service is fantastic. Not once did we have to wait around or look for someone if we needed more water or something else. The ladies were also super friendly. Breakfast is also included, and although it is fairly rudimentary (breads, jams, so,e fresh fruit, cereals and yogurts) but thought it was more than enough after a hearty 4-course meal the night before!

The location is superb, with only a short walkto the train station and the Männlichen cable car right nearby. This was excellent for us with 2 kids traveling as my mom myself and my sister In law hiked to the top of Männlichen while my brother and the kids took the Cable car some hours later.

Overall, a great stay at a lovely family-owned hotel. Recommended!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank windvalley
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I travelled with my wife and her brother's family of 4. We stayed in 3 rooms for 3 nights. The rooms along with breakfast and dinner was value for money. The hotel looks and feels more like a homestay for us. The owner Therese greeted us at the hotel front like a host to her house.

Our rooms were clean and 2 rooms gave us magnificent views of the Mt.Jungfrau as we stood on the balcony or laid on the bed. The rooms have everything you would expect and each has a teddy bear for customer to hang outside door for indicating choice of having housekeeping or not. The room has 2 touch-sensing bedside lamps - innovative products.

Based on Abraham Maslow's theory on Pyramid of Needs, Baeren meets all the needs from the basic physiological to safety, social, esteem and right to the highest needs of actualisation. Let me explain, the room fittings and furnishing provides the physiological. Hotel design and layout provide safety with fire escape plan. The social needs are provided through wifi access and a lounge area at the ground level. The Lounge has a cosy corner, with sofa, more chairs, table and a desktop computer with internet access. Our esteem needs were met by the friendly host who greets us whenever we met and asked about our stay and excursion plans. She walked around and came to our table whenever we have dinner. She made sure everyone felt at home.

Most of all, she went out of the way to print our lost Glacier Express tickets. She helped me recover my lost bag by calling the police to send my found bag to Lucerne for me to pick up. Therese humbly asked for suggestions for improvement even as the place was near perfect. She satisifed my curiosity about the hotel's history and construction. She related briefly about her husband's family who used to own and run it. She showed us a book of the construction process and told us her family and grandma live behind the hotel.

She accepted my suggestions 1.Clearer signpost of the hotel at Railway station 2. Using bear's paws or an appropriate icon to indicate hotel's main entrance. 3. Therese called out her hubby Willy out of the kitchen where he been cooking all day. They sowed us the best wall and posed for photographs with us. Therese, without hesitation agreed to send our luggages to the raiyway station when we checked out. All these met our Actualisation needs. We felt so welcome and achieved our As.

Of course, there were some negative experiences as we are real customers and first time touring Switzerland. They were 1. Noises from children jumping on the wooden floor above my room till midnight for two nights. 2. All room keys were hung on a board near the stairs in full view and easy taken off by anyone when the front counter was not manned. 3. On the second morning, I received a phone call from an unknown asking me to hang out my camera outside the door - suspected scam caller who must know the easy-security system. 4. After the scam call, we freaked and kept our shoes and boots which we earlier placed in shoetrays, outside. 5. If there is a pool and gymn, this hotel would be prefect but again as I said it is more like homestay, so there is no place for these hahaha

Room Tip: Check where the family rooms are situated as such rooms would likely have children. My room on 2nd f...
1 Thank glacierEx
Fairfax, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We just returned from our stay at Hotel Baren in Wengen. I was completely blown away by the staggering beauty of Wengen, Switzerland. After traveling through Europe, checking into this lovely "slice of paradise" was exactly what our family of four needed.

Therese and Willy work very hard at making their guest experience a priority-not what you usually find at other European hotels. They both are there to greet you, and provide lots of wonderful suggestions for things to do in and around the Jungfrau region.

The rooms are perfect. We chose the 3rd floor, with adjoining rooms for our two daughters. The view was spectacular, it will forever me emblazoned in my memory. My husband and I had plenty of space on the front side room, and our kids had their own "wing" in the back side of the hotel. We all were happy with space together, but apart from each other. At nighttime, the town is so quiet that you can actually hear the waterfalls in the distance.

Willy is a wonderful chef. We told them our dietary "issues" and they always made sure to have an alternative entree that met our needs. The freshly made soups with herbs from their garden made me want to ask for their recipes. This meal choices were not just Swiss fare, Willy also pulled culinary recipes from Thailand, France, Germany and beyond. I honestly could not wait to come down for dinner!

The breakfast is also very well stocked with items for our entire family.

We cannot say enough fabulous things about staying at the Hotel Baren. We all agreed it was our very favorite hotel from our entire trip. I truly believe that because the owners actually work at their business, it translates into a memorable guest experience.

We can't wait to find our way back someday!

Thanks so much Therese, Willy and your entire staff!

Laura, Todd, Ellie and Addie Barber

Room Tip: 3rd floor, end unit with adjoining room for a family of four.
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Baren is one of the best family-run hotels I have stayed at. The location is great (highly recommend staying in Wengen for the views are fantastic, there are a few shops if you need something, lots of walking/hiking trails nearby, and sceinc train ride to Lauterbrunnen). The owners of the hotel and their staff are all so friendly. We had a renovated room with a balcony with a view of the mountains. The room was well appointed with everything we needed and then some. The owners have put a lot of thought into anticipating anything you might need. We opted for the half-board option and were so pleased that we did. The food is amazing and fresh (we watched as the salad and herbs were picked from the garden). After a long day of walking, hiking, exploring, etc. it was very nice to come back to the Baren and enjoy a leisurely dinner with a fantastic view. I wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: request a renovated double with a balcony - view of the mountains
NY/NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the best small family run hotels that we have been to. The location is fantastic.
The view from the balcony rooms (with Jungfrau view) are amazing. It was pretty cloudy when we stayed but despite it, the balcony upgrade was definitely worth it.
I think even the regular rooms have a nice view of the mountains, just that the balcony rooms have huge windows!

The food: really nice food. I am not particularly a fish eater and they suggested a meat substitution instead. My wife got the fish and even though I don't prefer fish, it was simply awesome. The meats are good too. The food presentation is really nice as well. The quantity is a lot. The first dinner, we almost got full with just the soup and salad.
The breakfast is nice. Loved the croissants!

The hosts:
Therese and her team (Yana and Manuella) are really nice and friendly. They certainly go above and beyond to make everyone comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013