“best food ever”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“best food ever”
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Stayed at this hotel in Jan 11 we were a group of four and had two twin rooms. One of the rooms had been updated and the other was in need of updating, Both were clean and had all the amenities needed. The main thing that had been updated was the bathroom it was just brighter and had white tiles. The shower was powerful and there was a proper hairdryer in the room despite the plugs not being near the mirror. The plugs were not conventional and we had to hire an adapter from reception 20 francs. This was refunderble so not too much of a hassel. We were delayed getting in and didnt arrive until late. We missed dinner so the hotel provided a plate of food which was very welcome. not sure if this was the hotel or the travel rep who organised it. The reception area is a little tired looking but the staff and the rest of the hotel was lovely. The spa area was nice and the outdoor hot tub is a must especially in the snow. It was nice that it wasnt all naked and you were warned when entering the naked zone and didnt feel uncomfortable in a swim suite, (i am british what can I say). The food was excellent. A five course meal evey night except on buffet nights wed and sat we missed the sat but the rest was fine dining and we never went hungry or had to complain once. Breakfast was plentiful with lots of choice including fresh prepared eggs however you like them. the wine is a little pricy ( i am a northern brit) we found the swiss wines lovely and they were a little cheaper.
there is a heated boot room with plenty of room and it is only a short walk to the main gondola. the train station is just over the road so the location of the hotel is excellent.

all in all a nice hotel with good food and friendly staff

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank choccydoll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Derbyshire
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We were a party of 8 adults, having booked 1 superior, 2 double and 2 single rooms.
We arrived later than expected at 3.10pm to find only the single rooms ready. After waiting 50 minutes the other rooms were ready, rooms 102, 103 and 105. They were all very big rooms but very old. Couldn't tell which one was supposed to be the superior. Not good views thats for sure. When we came back to our room after dinner the disco had started! It went on till 2am. Our room and our daughters next door were directly above the discos door! Bearing in mind this was supposed to be a superior room. We asked to change rooms which the receptionist was fine about as she said it happens alot. The next room was 407 on the otherside of the hotel in the attic, old fashioned and small but a much nicer room and our daughter was moved to 530, a new room with small balcony, lovely.
The food was on the whole very nice, occasionally a bit cold but ok. The service was a bit strange as the waitresses would take away plates that were finished while other people were still eating. This to me is very rude.
The last morning we were leaving at 6am and asked for some food to take with us. Were told this would be fine but what they did was to put cold meat, cheese and salad on plates in reception which wasn't what we expected. Another lady leaving the same time as us had asked at breakfast the previous morning and managed to get a pack-up to take with her.
Now to the skiing, we found the resort quite difficult. One of our party had never skied before and spent every lesson on the very short nursery slope in the village. The blue runs up the mountains are mostly narrow paths which are no good to practice on.
If you're a good skier its great, you can ski from the gondola to the other side (train side) and down into the town.
All in all we had a good week but we would not return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank lauralou911
Singapore
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Let me start with conclusion first.
Will we stay at this hotel when we will return to beautiful Wengen – NO. We stayed here for 5 nights on August and that was just a Ok stay.

Only thing that works for this hotel is that it is right next to the train station… BUT when we reached Wengen we realized this is not the only hotel near Railway station. With Wengen being a really small village, quite a few hotels are within 2-3 minutes radius of the station and so since am not totally happy with my stay here so I will switch to one of them.

Now, why I was not happy:

1. Check-In: At 3 PM which is the check-in time we were told rooms are not ready and will take atleast 1-2 hours. Bad start since we had flown 12 hours from Singapore and then 4 hours of train from Zurich. It took about 2 hours and then we were shown the room.

2. Now we had booked the Mountain View Deluxe Room with Balcony and when we were shown the room it was hugely disappointing because first two floors of this hotel have no privacy. First floor has a common balcony. Yes so its basically a common verandah and remember it is not cordoned off for different rooms. So don’t be surprised if you find someone from the next room brushing his teeth in that verandah outside your room in the morning (I actually noted it). Second floor is basically at the same level as the open-air restaurant and so again when you get into your balcony you stare directly into patrons of the restaurant. We were originally provided a room on first floor but we were totally unhappy and so finally we changed to a room on 4th floor but that meant another few hours of wait.

3. Now our new room had one plus….if you can fit into the tiny balcony then it has absolutely gorgeous views BUT…the balcony was sufficient to hold just one person and a plastic table which I basically had to rearrange myself so that we can squeeze into that small pace with pretty views. Room by itself was small but ok. Do ask for a ventilator/table fan as there is no AC in room and no ventilation either.

4. As for the “Double Bed” that we had it was actually two single beds put together and I usually I hate that. As usual with such makeshift doubles forget about curling up in the middle.

5. Breakfast as strictly ok. I don’t remember if there was any hot breakfast options at all. But this may not be an issue for some. IF you are not on full board which we were not then it’s tough to get best seats in the breakfast place though one day when we were quite early they did oblige us.

6. As for staff, the regular guy at the front desk was quite cold and not really friendly I would say. Even during breakfast, of the three regulars only one I would rate as pleasing and welcoming. But one delightful touch was that we were checking out very early in the morning on our last day (5am ish) and a night before we had asked the guy at the front desk if it would be possible for us to get a coffee and he actually made sure that we have hot coffee as well some bread to go with it. Finally !!!

Overall, for the price they charge I think they are probably not worth it and I might go wrong again but will possible try some other hotel nearby when we return to Wengen, which we wil because it’s a remarkable place. Loved Wengen…wish we could have said the same aboutthis hotel. !!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank A_Wanderer_80
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed November 19, 2010

we booked the Jungfrau view room and would recommend it to everyone... its worth every extra rupee, dollar, euro, frank, or whatever currency you are paying in... although the other side rooms (which shows street behind the hotel and empty land) are not bad... but nothing beats this... sitting at the beautifully flower decorated terrace, in the morning, watching clouds rise above Jungfrau... that was amazing...

the hotel staff were very helpful... very nice and could speak in fluent english...

there is nothing much to do in the evening... other than walk around and relax...

while we were there... didnt see much of a night life.. but there were a couple of nice pubs on the other side of the street...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vijay S
Malibu, California
Reviewed November 2, 2010

A very disappointing visit to usually decent Best Western hotel branches. This one is independently owned and so it's not a surprise that quality can vary. My visit began with condescending and borderline rude attitude at the front desk. No recognition of my diamond elite status and no benefits were provided related to the brand allegiance. My first room was dirty and the bathroom smelled of vomit. I was offered another room by waiting an hour and the second room was better. Overall hotel decor is outdated, rooms were both sparsely decorated and worn. Overpriced for what you get. There is NO free WIFI nor free access to the lobby computer. The spa is clean and nicely appointed. Breakfast was fine.

I felt threatened at the hotel by the intimidating front desk and other staff. As a single young white male I'm not sure what was going on, but I had to get out of the hotel. I found another hotel nearby and told the front desk I would be checking out first thing in the morning. Upon checking out they tried to charge me for the entire stay I had booked even through my reservation did not indicate a minimum stay. Even after leaving the hotel and paying for my 1 night's stay, they tried to bill my credit card for the remainder of the reservation.

I would never, ever, recommend anybody to stay at this property when there are many, many other delightful and better value properties within 100m.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank Jon_the_Traveller_CA
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I have now stayed at the Hotel Silberhorn 6 times - both in summer and winter and this hotel is fantastic. I was shocked to read the earlier reviewers comments that the Hotel Silberhorn should not be a 4 star hotel and their comments that the restaurant was poor and the hotel shabby - this is absolutely not true. As a very frequent world traveller with exceptionally high standards, I can assure you that this hotel is of the highest standard, in the best of locations. in the wonderful village of Wengen. This hotel is in typical Swiss style, is immaculately clean, the food is excellent, the new Wellness Spa is truly first class and the staff are fantastic. As a skier, the location is also wonderful, as are the ski storage facilities. Having also stayed at the Regina in Wengen, I rate the Hotel Silberhorn as the better hotel and have therefore regularly returned to stay there, with my next stay already booked for skiing in February. If you are making a choice on which hotel to pick in Wengen - you can do no better than the Silberhorn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Frequent_Flyer1234
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2010

This hotel is within a few steps of the train station, and has a wonderful view of the mountains. The front desk staff was excellent. In mid-September, we had to borrow a fan (ventilator to them) because it was too warm to sleep without leaving balcony door open (no air conditioning). Unfortunately, this hotel taught us a valuable lesson I'd like to pass on: Be sure you either take the half-board meal plan (which we did not want) or come here on a guided tour, because those two groups have assigned seating and ,if tour groups are in-house, other hotel guests for breakfast have nowhere to sit (even when the tables are empty, they are "reserved" for the others who may have already come and gone for the day). From now on, I would not select a hotel that caters to tour groups, which I did not realize this one did.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple