“Sunstar, the Wengen Star!”

Sunstar Alpine Hotel Wengen
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I just came back from my summer vacation spent in Wengen and I only have great memories.

Sunstar hotel reached my highest expectation and even more. First of all I liked the people (the Manager and his family, the Receptionist and the entire stuff- they were all very helpful and professionals and friendly), the location of the hotel (close to the railway station, opposite to the cable car, in the center of the resort), all the facilities offered (great swimming pool, exceptional sauna- both dry and wet, sunbeds, segway, access to the minibar, great variety for breakfast, the common activities organized for the clients of the hotel), the clean room and comfortable bed, the incredible view over the mountains!

I must say that Sunstar hotel is the perfect base-camp for the trail running routes, for the bicycle rides or for the long walks in the area.

I can't wait to come back to Wengen and I'm already planning my next ski vacation at Sunstar!

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room with valley view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sunstar Alpine Hotel Wengen

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Very clean and comfortable. I paid extra to have a room with a valley view. I enjoyed relaxing on the balcony with a free cold drink from the fridge after a long walk. The room has a kettle which I I found very useful. I brought extra tea bags from home. I liked the little piece of chocolate left in the room in the evening.

The shower is powerful but it is impossible not to get water on the floor with just a shower curtain. I also felt that I might slip getting in and out.

There is a large swimming pool with warm water and great views of the mountains. l appreciated the bathrobes to use going to and from my room to the pool. Breakfast has a good variety of delicious hot and cold food. Sometimes the selection is reduced if a big tour party has just eaten.

The location is excellent with only a few minutes walk from the train and cable car stations. The Jungfraupass is definitely worth it for walking in the area.

The staff were polite and service excellent. However, during the whole week no-one ever talked to me except to use standard phrases such as "have a good day" or asking if I wanted coffee at breakfast. No-one entered any conversation to ask where I was going that day or where had I been. I went to the welcome drink on Sunday but no member of staff spoke to me.

I would definitely stay here again as apart from the lack of interest in my stay everthing was excellent.

Room Tip: The valley view has lovely views and more hours of sunshine.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Poole11
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Just returned from a great week in Wengen. We had a lovely double room, and my mum was very pleased with her single. Many thanks to 'Segway' Oliver, and to Vasco for great service at the bar and wonderful cocktails! The Sunstar is a super mountain hotel, with a perfect position in this small village. Highly recommended.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We just came back home from a short holiday and we miss Wengen every day!
We enjoyed very much our stay at Sunstar hotel because the stuff, the Manager and his family made us feel "at home". A home with a great view over the mountains, a home with a great location (close to the station, opposite to the cable cabin), a home with beautiful people.
Our stay in Wengen was not planned at all. We saw a sign from the highway and we saw the mountains and we only knew that we wanted to go there, this is why we had no boots, no jackets, no equipment to be able to go up on Jungfrau (during the day there are 7 degrees there). As we arrived in Wengen at 7pm, we had no place to rent any equipment and to take the first train up early in the morning and without the Manager's help,(involving his family and the great receptionist), we wouldn't have visited Jungfraujoch.
They've found a solution for all our problems, they were there to give us advices, they were there to listen to us, they were there to help us, they were there to make our vacation wonderful!
Our room was perfect made of wood, with a perfect balcony and a perfect view! We could use the mini-bar and we could use the pool and the sauna and the solarium and the massage. There was also a tennis court there, you can rent the segway and there are a lot of activities for the hotel clients. For example on our last day they organized a barbeque in the garden and we're so sorry that we had to leave before. We would have enjoyed very much to spend time with the other tourists and with Oliver and Katja Kienzler.
We will return to Wengen and to Sunstar hotel for sure and we recommend Sunstar to all the tourists who respect and love the nature, to all the tourists who appreciate the great view and the friendly stuff!

THANK YOU Oliver and Katja Kienzler, THANK YOU beautiful receptionist! :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed in a doublex for a weekend while training for the Jungfrau marathon, perfect for three person. Great experience, good host and very friendly staff. sauna, pool and other facilities were perfect.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The entire family loved our stay here. Oliver and his team make you feel genuinely welcome, and all the staff is really nice, helpful and friendly. The hotel has a fantastic location in the middle of Wengen with beautiful views of the Männlichen, the Jungfrau and the valley. The kids loved the trampoline, the Swiss orchestra on Wednesday night, and the crossbow. I loved the Segway initiation and tour, which is a great way to discover Wengen and surroundings - plus Oliver will tell you lots of fascinating background stories on Wengen. And finally we all loved the food which was superb. The family room was great, with a small but very clean and new bathroom, and lots of space for kids and parents. Highly recommended!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The sunstar wengen hotel is really 5 star quality. It has a lovely bar, fantastic big warm indoor pool, sauna, kids play room, segways and much more!
I personally enjoyed the segways at the hotel had to offer and u didn't even need a driving licence! All u need to do is way more than 45kg to go on the parkour, I leaned how to learn the Segway almost instantly with the help of the instructor. And then I was wizzing around everywhere. And he always watch me and even warned me of when I was going to fast. After that we enjoyed the luxury pool which even have water fans to massage your back! Afterwards we enjoyed a gourmet five star meal at the hotel.
Overall I would rate the hotel 10/10

Room Tip: There all good rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family