“Modest and admirable hotel”
Review of Hotel Edelweiss

Hotel Edelweiss
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Wengen
Limassol, Cyprus
“Modest and admirable hotel”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Edelweiss is a very agreeable friendly hotel near the heart of Wengen. Pleasant public rooms and excellent breakfasts for a modest price. An old teleferique cabin by the front door offers an admirable and unconventional ski-room. We were there to keep our children and grandchildren company in their apartment in InnerWengen, so we did not have a chance to sample the restaurant, but we're enthusiastic about the painstaking service everywhere else.

Room Tip: It's worth aking for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Georgia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed 4 nights and had a wonderful time! Stayed in a family room which is spacious by European standards at this level. 2 adt and 3 chd, it might have gotten a bit tight/uncomfortable for a longer stay. Very clean and well organized property which is a must for us. Beautiful views. Our family loves to eat and we have a very "varied palate", if you will. We were not disappointed here. After eating at the hotel the first night, we were hooked. We thought the price was fine by Swiss standards.

The only thing missing is a luggage service from the train station for arriving guests. We had to pay 16 swiss francs for a one minute ride down the mountain to the hotel.

We would go back for sure!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 3cutegirls2013
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This was a family vacation covering 3 generations. My parents, my sister and her family, and my family. Ten people in all. My father actually booked the reservations at the hotel so I was unsure of what to expect. I will be honest. I have worked in the hotel industry for over 20 years and the staff and management at the Hotel Edelweiss exceeded my expectations in every way.
Most hotel products, in similar classes, differ very little from each other. A swift check in, everything in working order and a clean room can appease most travellers. What separates this hotel from the pack is the staff and their service. I will admit that the views from beneath the Eiger and the Jungfrau were breathtaking but this review is not about that. The staff showed genuine warmth in their engagement and a deep interest to make personal connections with their guests. Daniel (Manager) was there in the morning when you woke up, he was there in the dining room during breakfast giving the latest weather report or actvity recommendation and he was there at dinner to find out how your day went and offering tips on wine pairing with the meal or to give the group a moment of levity with his unique humor. When I tore my ski pants (in quite a spectacular fall I might add) he had them sewed and back to me that evening without question.
He and his staff truely understood the meaning of being hosts. It was almost as if we were guests in his home and he would go to any lengths to make us feel comfortable. That is how you host brilliantly.
On a final note, it would be criminal to not mention the food. 5 Star food for dinner. Hans (Chef) outdid himself on a nightly basis and fed us like royalty. I recommend a nip of his homemade eggnog if you ever get the chance.
It was a Christmas and New Year's that we will never forget and I recommend the Hotel Edelweiss to anyone taking a trip to the Bernise oberland region of the Swiss Alps.

1 Thank Eugene B
Forestburgh, New York
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I booked Hotel Edelweiss over the Christmas/New Year's holiday. We invited our children, their spouses, and four grandchildren, to join my wife and me for the ski vacation. Hotel Edelweiss turned out to be a perfect venue for such a gathering. The staff could not have been more accommodating. Daniel and Suzanne, the co-managers, went far beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome. In the ratings, this establishment is shown as a " two star" hotel - but the cuisine is certainly "five star" - wonderful innovative four-course dinners conjured up each night by the hotel's Austrian chef. Upon arrival in Zurich, I learned United Airlines had lost our luggage. Daniel worked tirelessly to locate our suitcases and ski bags and later, to chase them some of our stuff down for a second time after they were lost by the railroad. (Wengen is only reachable by train). He was never too busy to answer my questions or to provide help. We were treated like our family were guests in his own home. Many nice celebratory "extras" on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. It is a great place for the holiday season.

Sebastopol
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I cannot recommend Hotel Edelweiss highly enough. We just returned from a 10-day family reunion / ski vacation (6 adults, 4 children 5-11 years old.) Wengen is a charming little town. Conveniently located, the rooms were bright, cheerful, clean and comfortable. Our room had a balcony with terrific views of the Jungfrau and the sweep of the valley below. But two things made our time so incredibly special that I felt moved to write this review as soon as I returned. First was the unparallelled level of hospitality that we received from the entire staff throughout our stay. The owner, Martin, the managers, Daniel and Susanne, and the entire team made us feel like a part of their family from the moment we arrived. They clearly love people and it shows in everything that they do. We left feeling as if we had made some wonderful new friends. Second, was the absolutely amazing food. Given the fact that we were there for 10-day, it might have been easy to have become bored, but every night the chef, Hans, outdid himself by preparing a delicious, innovative four course meal fit for a 5-Star restaurant. The chef developed his menu based on the best ingredients available, never once repeating a dish. He recommended a wine pairing, typically a local Swiss wine, that was not only spot-on but reasonably priced. We had no interest in going anywhere else to eat. We only wish that we lived closer as we would go back in a heartbeat. Book Edelweiss. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony overlooking the Jungfrau.
1 Thank Nancy022
Beijing, China
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We came on September 2013, only for one day, it was a quick visit to Switzerland, Wengen and Jungfrau region what we liked most.
Don't take bad comments to seriously, this hotel it's perfect as a mountain hotel, we came from far away (Uruguay) and from Zurich directly to this hotel, we did rest and spend an amazing weekend there. I strongly recommend. The owner take care about every details and questions from us, and even recommend us the best place to eat fondue. The room was perfectly clean and comfortable, the breakfast complete and healthy. The only suggestion I will make is that would be very helpful if the hotel gives or send to every guest a map prior arrival, it was close to the main station but not easy without a guidance. Finally, If I come back to Wengen I definitely call Edelweiss hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for only one night while travelling between lake Lucerne and Grindelwald. It turned out to be my favourite place for my whole Switzerland trip! Room was clean and cozy, breakfast and dinner were excellent and the village was unforgettable. The view from the restaurant table to Jungfrau was remarkable. Staff were kind and helpful, they pointed out a booking problem that was entirely my fault, I had accidentally booked a double room when I was travelling alone. They allowed me to keep the room and only charged me for a single - this was above and beyond. I will definitely return if I am ever in the alps again ( it is a long way from Australia!). If you visit, be sure to walk to the village church with the spire, sit on the bench and take in the awesome view of the valley, complete with cascading waterfall.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Zara H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wengen
Beausite Park Hotel
Sunstar Alpine Hotel Wengen
Hotel Silberhorn
Hotel Silberhorn
#1 of 7 in Lauterbrunnen

Been to Hotel Edelweiss? Share your experiences!