“Wonderful Stay , Great Hospitality , awesome valley views”
Review of Hotel Edelweiss

Hotel Edelweiss
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Wengen
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful Stay , Great Hospitality , awesome valley views”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful Stay , Great Hospitality
Rooms are a bit small but very clean and welcoming. Balconies have great views. Lounge area is very welcoming. My wife and I spent quite a few hours in the evening there.
The owners are very warm and the breakfast is great too.
About 5 minutes from the engenders station. From Interlaken OST take the train to Lauterbrunnen and from there you get a train to Wengen. Total trip is 30 minutes.
I would definitely stay here again.
If you are a vegetarian, there are no Indian restaurants in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. So while you are in Interlaken make sure you have your fill from the bunch of Indian restaurants there.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 10, 2013

First things First - Wengen is Beautiful, The climate, the car-free surroundings, the views all amazing...

Now onto Edelweiss....As some previous reviewer put, there are better hotels in Wengen...I am sure there are...but when you consider the cost-better comparison...the gap is very small...

I had initially booked Alpenrose based on its nice reviews and it just looked nicer...even by the website...alpenrose looked better than edelweiss...but when I checked the price of Edelweiss...I decided to cancel my Alpenrose booking and booked at Edelweiss...it saved me more than 450 Francs for 4 nights...

Onto my stay...I stayed for 4 nights in late September...In all my email communication Daniel was very warm and nice..and he was the same in person....very warm, cheery, helpful...

We came in after a long trip from Venice on the first day and reached at 4 pm...he straightaway gave me the keys ...yep..no passport check etc....

The room : The room is nice.., basic decoration...wooden theme all around...Bathroom is very tiny...but that is to be expected in Europe I guess... The only thing I was disappointed with the room is the balcony...while the views were fantastic...it is shared with 2 other rooms...with a small partition ...but you can walk around...with that comes the problem for non-smokers with they are sharing the balcony with smokers...not a problem for me though...its clearly written somewhere that smoking is not allowed in the rooms but allowed in the balcony...

the breakfast rooms, reading room etc are all nice..there is even a sauna...but we never used it...

The breakfast : I didn't like it..we are vegetarians...and the only options we had were milk, coffee, bread, cheese , cereals and some dry fruits.. this is okay for 1 day..but this never changed in the 4 days we were there...not even a single thing...the bread sometimes was so hard i had to leave it as it is..and I felt the same way about the breakfast lady like some previous reviewer...she was cold...she smiled but it was a forced one...

so maybe if you have meats and stuff...then maybe you might like the breakfast..

never had dinner there...so no comments on that..

Daniel was helpful throught the stay...and would point us to walks, hikes which are interesting to do....loads of brochures too around...

All in all...I was satisfied...except the balcony bit and the breakfast all was okay...and considering that I saved 450 Francs not staying in another "top" hotel ...I think Edelweiss is an excellent place to base your stay in Wengen....

Room Tip: Take the room with a balcony...fantastic views....but balcony shared with other rooms..when they are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mcap56
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Was here for a week in summer to enjoy hiking in the alps. The hotel was by far the best value in town. I had a single room which was small but comfortable and functional. The breakfasts were really good (as they seem to be everywhere in Switzerland). I ate two dinners at their restaurant which were both good as well. I really liked chatting with the hotel owner, Daniel and the rest of the staff. Everyone was friendly. Wengen is a great experience and a perfect base for day hiking.

For those of you with a ton of bags, just know the hotel is down a hill from the train. Also if you are going to bring a lot of baggage or equipment (like skis), consider the Swiss fast baggage transfer which I used on the way back. It saves a lot of trouble during train transfers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mcap56
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I have taken a while to write this report because it has been difficult to find words that can adequately describe what a wonderful experience we had here. Daniel and Suzanne run a wonderful hotel efficiently, calmly, with understated style and conviction that what they are doing in Wengen is special. And it is.

The hotel situated in a magical location under the towering presence of the Jungfrau mountain. Rooms are comfortable and clean though simple - but when you are in the mountains like this, do you need 4 poster beds and jacuzzi baths? Their kitchen is wonderful, presenting nutritious and delicious meals at both breakfast and dinner and we were made to feel so welcome and so much at home during our stay here. A couple of lounges on the ground floor, another in the basement and a games room with table tennis table mean that there is plenty of space to spread out and relax in the evenings after a day in the freshest of fresh air, and if you need to sweat the strain of hiking or skiing from aching muscles, the sauna in the basement is as good a place as any to do just that.

We have known the Edelweiss for a number of years and have to report that Daniel and Suzanne are taking it to new heights. It remains our favourite hotel in the whole world!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

There are not many choices in Wengen this time of year, so we were thrilled to find a room in this hotel. Our reservation process was great - Daniel is very responsive. Our room is on the 3rd floor and I would anticipate a great view - we have had mostly clouds so far. One issue is that someone nearby is smoking and it comes onto our room when windows or balcony doors are open. Our balcony is shared with 2 other rooms - so be careful to lock it when you leave your room. The bathroom is VERY tiny. The room is small but doable. Everything is clean and smells
good. All the help speak English - that is a plus! I was disappointed with the breakfast - not to much choice - but there was a wonderful granola cereal. I tried to boil an egg- I asked for help as I was not sure how it would work- I was told to just put the egg in the pan with boiling water and take a timer. When I returned there were 4 other eggs in the pan - no clue which was mine - they forgot to tell me to write my name on the egg :> - the one I picked was not cooked enough so I gave up. I have slept in worse rooms while here in Switzerland - so I would say this one is ok. Would not spend alot of nights here but 2 is ok.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank ryanpeg
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed October 9, 2013

There are better hotels in Wengen. We were ending our four (4) week stay in Switzerland. We had started in Wengen for five (5) days because we knew from previous visits that most of the hotels were closed from the end of September until December. We were staying in Murten and hated it, so we decided to go back to Wengen for a couple of days before we left for home. There were only four (4) hotels open and we decided to stay at the #1 TripAdvisor rated hotel for Wengen, the Hotel Edelweiss. Here is what we found:

Reception Area - Very small, but very well organized. Nice tile floor in the area as well as the stairs.

The room - The room is a very small room. (My guest bedroom at home is bigger.) With that said, it is fairly well laid out and is easy to get around in. It is decorated tastefully with edelweiss as the theme, but not overly done. The walls are nice interlocking wood strips. The ceiling has acoustic tiles. The headboard lighting is acceptable, but the room lighting is very poor. With only one (1) overhead light, the room could use some additional lamps over the desk and chairs. We found the room to be acceptable from a noise standpoint, but as I write this, I can clearly hear a conversation in the hallway below us.

The bathroom - The bathroom is very tiny. Did I say very tiny? Yes, very tiny! I am six (6) feet tall and I felt I had to duck every time I was in the bathroom. Be very careful sitting down on the toliet because you might hit your knees on the door. The shower is the highlite of the bathroom. It is small, but has a sliding door instead of the usual plastic curtain that always sticks to my body as I try to get clean. There was plenty of hot water although the shower faucet is a little different to control. The usual Swiss handheld shower head worked great in its holder. Need I say there is very little shelf space, but there is a medicine cabinet...really!

The balcony - There is a nice small balcony that is sort of shared with the two (2) rooms on either side. I write shared, because there is a small divider between the rooms that is easily walked around. Unfortunately, one of our neighbors decided that a non-smoking room means that they can smoke on the balcony. We had to shut our windows every time the smoking started so that we didn't have a smoking room. There is a nice view of the Lauterbrunnen Valley from our bacolny with only a few buildings blocking parts of the view. Unfortunately, as non-smokers, the view gets ruined when the smoking neighbors join us on the balcony.

The help - We found the help to be hot and cold. The reception and intial email contact were very helpful and spoke very good english. The waitress in the breakfast/dinner room was very aggressive and seemed to be having a permanent bad day that was left over from the day before. Dishes were removed from our table while we were sitting there using them, the coffee and hot chocolate were luke warm, etc.

Dinner - The four (4) course dinner was one of the worst ones of our trip. We had some great three (3) course dinners at the Hotel Fa.... a few weeks prior for 20 Swiss Francs per person. For 25 swiss francs per person, I expected just as good, if not better. The salad was served with more dressing than salad (if you know what I mean). The fish soup was loaded with curry. We each took one sip and put it aside. Just the smell of it was disgusting. The main course was Ratatouille with two (2) bites of chicken, three (3) bites of pork and one (1) bite of bratwurst. The meat was ok, but the Ratatouille was horrid. The desert consisted of an expresso pudding. I sorry, but expresso right before bedtime? I don't even drink morning coffee because the caffeine keeps me awake at night.

Breakfast - Breakfast was also a big disappointment after having breakfasts all over Switzerland for the previous three (3) weeks. The coffee and hot chocolate were luke warm at best. The breads were good, but only a couple of different kinds. There was no bacon, sausages, bratwurst, scrambled eggs or any other protein, such that we had found in other hotels. I will say the granola was excellent and the orange juice ok.

Lobby WebCams Views - We were here in October and the weather is always tentative during this time. I noticed that the web cam viewer in the lobby was showing a "live" picture of the Jungfrau with beautiful sunshine even though Wengen was covered with an overcast cloud layer. I quickly pulled out my laptop in the room and started checking my web cam viewers. My web cam viewers showed that the lobby "live" was not really current. I am not sure what the "live" means, but the current shots I found showed the Jungfrau covered in overcast clouds also. That saved us a trip up to the Mannlichen for no views of the Eiger, Monk & Jungfrau.

Conclusion...The Edelweiss is an acceptable place to stay with the above listed considerations. Unless I don't have a choice, I would stay at one of the other hotels that I have reviewed for the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TheTraveler97007
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The staff of this hotel were incredible. Daniel provide us excellent advice on hikes each morning at breakfast. Wengen is such a wonderful place to have your "base" while exploring the area. The rooms were small, but functional and very clean. We had a shared deck overlooking the Jungfrau, which was wonderful. The only complaint we would have would be the postage stamp size of the bathroom, but the shower had nice pressure and lots of hot water. The warm welcome of the staff makes up for any short comings of the bathroom. It was the perfect place for our mountain stay!

When you get off the train, look for the Coop across the street (grocery store), head towards it and then follow the road down the hill to get to the hotel!

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the Jungfrau!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wengen
Hotel Belvedere
Hotel Victoria-Lauberhorn
Hotel Eiger
Hotel Eiger
#1 of 11 in Murren

Been to Hotel Edelweiss? Share your experiences!