“Mountain View Mountain View and Mountain View”
Review of Hotel Alpina

and 1 more site!
Hotel Alpina
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Murren
Nonthaburi
“Mountain View Mountain View and Mountain View”
Reviewed July 12, 2006

Very easy to find because it is the first hotel on the street from the tram station.

A mountain view room is a must. We live in the upper floor. The first room on the north offer a better mountain view balcony. The first room on the south has two bed rooms which has both mountain view and street view.

Their service is excellence. The dinner is fine which they have a nice restaurant in the hotel. The breakfast starts at 8 which is a little late for us. We leave a note to ask them to make a sandwiches since we went up early to have breakfast at the Piz Gloria and the sandwiches were great.

The bed is comfortable but still small for big person. The facilities are good.

I agree that the staffs are nice.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank noiris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 9, 2006

My husband and I first stayed at the Alpina in 1992, and were astounded by the view of the alps and the valley floor we enjoyed from our balcony. We returned this summer and brought our son, and were still astounded by the views from this magical hotel. The hotel rooms were unchanged; simple, 1970s dorm style, complete with orange curtains and avocade bathroom tile....BUT the main attraction of the Alpina is the view and access to the unbelievable hiking trails and Swiss beauty of Mürren. More Americans here since Rick Steves wrote about the hotel, but we found some nice improvements- a prettier dining room and better breakfast. Dinner here is wonderful and well-priced. Try the Alpina Rosti for a delicious traditional Swiss meal. Terrific and helpful staff make this hotel feel like our home in the Jungfrau. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank LAstudioMom
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2006

On a trip with my husband and in-laws to several countries throughout Europe, I was most excited for this hotel (especially after reading the reviews). The location of the pedestrian town of Muren is truly spectacular, and from the outside the hotel looked promising. However, turns out our "valley-view" rooms (which we'd paid more for) were located in the basement (!!!) with a decaying cobweb infested baclony overlooking some trees and mangled bushes. We'd requested rooms with bathrooms - but only one room had a bathroom and no towels were provided (we had to go to the front desk and ask for them). The rooms were very bare and un-welcoming and the rest of the hotel (lounge, lobby) seemed pretty tired. To the hotels' credit, the staff were very friendly and I have to assume from other reviews that the views from MOST of the rooms are astounding. We ate supper here and it was very good, but pricey (as are all restaurants in this town). Muren is a BEAUTIFUL town and should not be missed. However, I would recommend splurging if you can, and staying in a hotel more worthy of its surroundings. Or, if you are truly on a tight budget, stay at hotel Alpina but be sure to request a room on one of the higher floors.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank 74SophieM
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 7, 2006

We were fortunate to stay at the Hotel Alpina one week before the so-called "tourist season" begins. Once we set the luggage down and walked out on the balcony, we just stood in awe at the incredible views. Amazing!! When the sun goes down in the evening it turns the highest peaks a deep shade of pink. The balcony, which was quite large, was absolutely perfect for enjoying the views over a glass of wine or a beer. If you're an American and absolutely must have the complete Swiss experience, you can turn on the room's radio and play hours of Swiss folk music.

The bathroom was large, and the room has a wet bar stocked with refreshments. The breakfast was fine, but I'd suggest going to the Schilthorn some morning for the "James Bond Breakfast."

The hotel is convenient. The customer service is excellent. Rodger, who does a lot of the meet and greet activities, speaks excellent English, knows all the good hikes, and has a good sense of humor.

I hope to come back to this hotel again someday.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank pdxjeff1959
El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
Reviewed November 17, 2005

Our four night stay in October 2005 was amazing due to the jaw-dropping view from the back of the hotel toward the Monch, Eiger and Jungfrau peaks. While the hotel is simple and aging a bit (1970s pine interior with lots of stairs), it is warm and friendly, located just a couple of minutes' walk from the train station. Since Murren is so small, the farthest walk would be about 10 minutes through town to the Schiltorn gondola. Breakfasts were pretty basic: cereals, yogurt, bread and cheese, served with fabulous North Face views. Originally unsure of the weather at that time of year, we ended up adding an extra night onto our stay to enjoy the sunny days without any problem. While the beds and (especially) the pillows could have been more comfortable, we would likely stay again due to the views and reasonable cost.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank ZoomLady
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2005

The hotel wasn't full when I went, so they put me in a room on the top floor with the absolute best view of the mountains. The room was basic, but no TV. The staff was extremely nice and friendly. It's only a 2 minute walk to the train station and 10 minute walk to the gondola that takes you to the top of the mountains. The free breakfast was basic (cold cuts, bread, cheese, juice, cereal).

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, Calif
Reviewed September 26, 2005

This past summer I went back to the Hotel Alpina, perched high up on the edge of a cliff in Murren in the Bernese Alps in Switzerland. I think it was my 16th or 17th visit to Murren, and every time I've visited I've stayed at the Hotel Alpina. That should say it all, huh?

Everything you have heard about how great a place Murren is, is absolutely true. For me, it is a total retreat from the daily hustle and bustle of modern urban living -- , no vehicular traffic, clean air, quiet mountain surroundings, and only the sound of cowbells ringing in the distance. And the Hotel Alpina has always been my home away from home there. When I first visited, I got to know the proprieters, Mr and Mrs Taugwalder, very well, and enjoyed watching their only son Roger grow up. Now all grown up, he helps to run the hotel, which has lost none of the simple charm and warmth I've come to enjoy again and again.

The rooms are nicely furnished in a somewhat rustic style: plenty of wood everywhere consistent with the sense of what is natural about the entire Murren experience. Each room has a radio with multiple stations, including classical and Swiss folkmusic. If I want to watch tv, there's a large one downstairs in the living room. And visitors can also avail themselves of room and board options, although the restaurant has a separate menu. Either way, you get to eat with great views of the Jungfrau and Interlaken valley spreading out beneath you. Best of all, I've priced things around town and truly believe the Alpina offers the best bargain in town.

Over the years, I have sent my family and friends to Murren and the Hotel Alpina with a simple guarantee: if you dont come back and absolutely rave about the place, I'll pay every dollar you spend there. Happily, I can report I have never had to pay a dime.

• Stayed August 2005