Hotel Alpina
Hotel Eiger(Murren)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslauterbrunnen valleythe cliffmountain viewbig balconycorner roomcable caramazing viewstrain stationrecommend hotelfourth floorvalley floorsingle roomfamily roombreadyogurtrick stevesroom was clean and comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 14, 2008

The views from the balconies were incredibly beautiful. This hotel is perched on a cliff and by far has the best unobstructed views of any hotel in Murren. My double room was a little small but large enough for a table and chairs. I did have a huge two sided balcony. My shower was wierd. There was only one control so when you turned it far enough to get hot water the spray was so hard that it hurt. So I used my son's shower which was fine. My son's single room was very small- spend the money on a double. It was pretty noisy with lots of teenagers for 2 days of our stay. The food is good (not great). The service and the staff are really great (unless they get really busy). There is no elevator or pick up service from the train, so pack light. WIFI is only available downstairs on the main floor. We normally choose a little more luxury. But even with the above comments we would go back there in a heartbeat. The view from the balconies were that gorgeous!

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My friend and I stayed here multiple nights, two different times this June and absolutely loved the place. Roger and his family are the most welcoming hosts I have had in three trips to Switzerland. Our rooms featured a magnificent view and the breakfast was an excellent way to start our hiking days. I hated to leave and will definitely return. By the way, their rosti is also the best in town !

Susan from Misawa, Japan

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed July 26, 2008

The view from my room's balcony (overlooking the Lauterbrunnen Valley far below) is worth every penny of this trip! I have returned over and over again to the Hotel Alpina where I am greeted warmly by the Family Taugwalder, provided with a cozy room (includes a new t.v.), given a magnificent breakfast each morning and can purchase a truly excellent meal at night (wide range of cost...some inexpensive soups, superb fondue and the yummiest of desserts!).

Step outside the front door and in a few minutes you can be on a path hiking through the Alps or hopping onto a lift to take you up to the Schilthorn, to the mountain trains, or down to the valley below. The beauty of the Jungfrau Region is legendary, and I have been there when the wild flowers were spectacular, the views pristine and clear and the air so pure you want to bring it home with you! The little town of Murren is car free and so you can enjoy true tranquility there. Cow bells ring joyfully and you can see plenty of them! This is one of my favorite places in the world, and I'm already trying to save up for next summer...although a single room with bath for 85 Swiss Francs with such a breathtaking view of the Alps is in my opinion a bargain. You'll need to take a couple of trains and a lift to get there...but that's half the fun! The views from the train and lift are postcard gorgeous! By the way, I live in Colorado (with plenty of mountains) and STILL go to Murren...in part, because I love the the Hotel Alpina. (from Boulder, Colorado)

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hiker030
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My wife and I stayed there in July08, Roger and Cecile were very friendly and so helpful. Murren is the most beautiful place we have ever seen, we loved the hotel, the view, and the staff. We stayed in Rm 11 which is on the corner with windows that open to a panoramic view and nice balcony. We hiked the entire village as well as visited Piz Gloria. Glorious!
We would stay at Hotel Alpina again.

Bob and Tina Grey

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 21, 2008

My friend and I (both 23 at the time) spent 4 nights at the Hotel Aplina in February of 2007. We were quite happy with the stay at Alpina, and of course Muerren was an endearing town.

I booked the room directly with the Alpina and exchanged emails easily with the Family Taugwalder. Everything was in order when we arrived, so the booking process was quite easy.

We opted for a cheaper room without the view, but were treated to spectacular views in the breakfast/dining room each morning. In fact, one morning we witnessed a small avalanche on the mountainside directly across from the hotel (can't remember which of the three this was).

Our room was small, as was the bathroom, but I felt it was still good value for the money. No TV or phone, but we did have a radio which provided us with some nightly entertainment (and chuckles) listening to second-rate American pop hits from the '70s and '80s.

The food at the Alpina was good, though somtimes another source of amusement. Breakfast was always good with cereals, yoghurt, breads, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc.. We ate dinner at the hotel each night as we were paying for half board.

The dinners were four courses with an appetizer, a soup, an entree, and dessert. All beverages (except for water) were extra. I didn't think to inform the hotel ahead of time that I was a vegetarian, but I did that first night and each night thereafter, some variation on the menu was prepared for me, if not something entirely differently altogether. I really appreciated the fact that they went to this trouble to acommodate my diet. The food was generally good, especially the soups and desserts. Some of the appetizers and entrees were a bit more puzzling, but we enjoyed our dinners and trying new things.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Alpina and loved Muerren. The Alpina fit well within our budget, the Taugwalders were acommodating hosts, and the few quirks made the experience all the more memorable. I'd definately return to the Hotel Alpina on a return trip to Muerren (which I hope to do someday!).

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends