“Grumpy service attendant and cook!”

Tham Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 21 Restaurants in Murren
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Asian delicacies amidst magnificent Swiss Alps.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Was there for a lunch and asked for hot cup of water but I was billed for 1 francs! The hot water was planned to be used for my cup of noodles I bought from Interlaken as my stomach needed some comfort with less oil. I saw in one of their wall post that "No outside food is allowed". I then politely asked, instead of violating, if I can eat my hot cup of noodles. Instead of receiving for a straight NO or YES answer, the lady server said "You can do that, you are not allowed!". After a few seconds, the male cook came out and saying "You are supposed to follow rules and not disobey it. Even in your country you are supposed to do that".

Indeed, there is no question to this. I did not violate but instead but because of the post. What I got was invective!

Later, a group who was there, I talked to one of them and asked if she heard. She said that with climate in Murren and hard-up business, people get to be annoyed in an instant.

1  Thank Cocoy L

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Price was reasonable and food was fresh. Large choice of vegetables and soups. Limited places to sit , therefore better of booking. Yet the owners offer also the option to take away, which is not a bad decision.

1  Thank VictorS807
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We could never enter this small restaurant: we passed by almost every day and we noticed it was always fully booked. The owners are real Chinese and seem very very friendly, which is something important in a cold country. They regretted every time to say we should book in advance. The list of prices beats every other restaurant in Murren where prices to eat are unreasonably expensive. Method of Trasparent cooking (the cooking place is open space, so you see what they cook and what they put into the dish). I hope you have the chance to find a place there and to do so please book in advance

1  Thank MariaG834
Reviewed March 20, 2013

What a surprise! After having a lovely week of Swiss style food, we decided to stop in and visit Tham's. We had read some good reviews and we were not disappointed. Although the atmosphere seemed a bit sterile at first, the social scene, and Tham made up for it ten fold. By time, we had finished our excellent meal, we left there feeling we were Norm, from Cheers. Ask Tham for his food recommendations.!

1  Thank team_ampt
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The food in the hotel was great, but from time to time it is nice to get away. Tham offers respectable Chinese/Singaporean food, in the most unlikely of locations high in the Swiss Alps. The noodles were terrific, the chicken with black bean was excellent, and the steamed dumplings were great. Not the cheapest Chinese food I have had, but no more expensive than anything else in Mürren. Although very busy with service and in the kitchen, Mr and Mrs Tham were extremely nice and completely accommodating. Well worth a visit.

3  Thank Tommy087