“An amazing Trek”

95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“An amazing Trek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

If your considering which hike to do, this one! It took me and my fiancé, not normally hikers, a little over 4 hours to do completely. But the amount of amazing things you see just have you stopping every 10 steps to take a picture so you never forget it. It was tough at points but definitely not what I would say a killer climb. Even if your not into hiking, do it to fill in a day, you won't regret it.

2 Thank BuckmeisterJ

Manila
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“Wonderful views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

My friend and I went up the funicular to reach Allmendhubel to have some cake and coffee at the panorama restaurant which came with our James Bond 007 package we purchased. After this refreshing snack, we decided to take on the North face trail to get back to Muerren. The staff at the restaurant provided us some maps to guide us in our hike.

The weather during our trek alternated from sunny, to cloudy, to drizzling. It was a good thing we brought our rain gear with us. I would say that the difficulty of the trail was moderate except for some portions where the hike up was a bit more challenging. And you need to keep dodging cow dung along some portions of the trail since there are a lot of cows grazing.

We had a lot of breaks during our hike not only to get some rest but also to admire the view. If I remember correctly, it took us about 2.5 hours to get down to Muerren.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank banzai0
Oregon
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Family friendly trail, great views.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

Every place in Murren hands out the Schilthorn hiking map which includes many easy hikes including the northface trail. It goes from the top of the Allmendhubel funicular (which you catch in Murren) through the Blumental valley, over the Schiltgrat ridge, through the schilttal valley, and back around to Murren. we saw several children on the trail with their families. There is a short stretch over the ridge that some might call medium rather than easy. The trail should take about 2-3 hours. There are a dozen or so signs showing pictures of mountains across the valley with maps of their climbing routes and stories of their first ascents. Quite interesting. Beautiful view of the north faces of the Bernese alps. You pass several small diary farms, called "alps," which sell snacks including ice-cold fresh milk. You have to compete with large, harmless dairy cows with immense bells around their necks on some parts of the trail. My wife and I cut off the northface trail at Spielbodenalp and wandered down past the waterfall to Gimmelwald. The trail is steeper and more medium than easy from Spielbodenalp to Gimmelwald. The whole trip - allmendhubel to Gimmelwald - was about 3 hours. From Gimmelwald you catch the gondola back up to Murren. All in all, a very pleasant and beautiful morning.

Visited August 2011