“Good hotel for the price”
Review of MyHotel Merkur

MyHotel Merkur
Ranked #39 of 46 Interlaken B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good hotel for the price”
Reviewed June 19, 2008

We booked this hotel at the very last minute, after realising that we'd booked our original hostel (Backpacker's Villa) for the wrong dates. This was the last reasonably priced hotel available, and we're glad we stayed here.

It's ok, not spectacular. We stayed in Room 40, which is a three person room, and doesn't face the station. I had read previously that noise was a factor, but given that we were looking out towards Interlaken Ost and the town park, rather than the Interlaken West station, noise was not a factor and we slept with the windows open. Of course, it helps when the other two travellers are Deaf!

Breakfast was adequate and as someone mentioned, you can pay a bit extra for some freshly cooked eggs. Staff were friendly enough, but don't expect any exhuberance. Great location, clean room, although a bit musty. We only spent our time in it to nap or sleep overnight, so it was adequate. If you plan to spend time in the room, then don't bother with this hotel and find yourself something a bit nice.

Would stay here again, as it was a good value, and in a great location.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank ghermesherver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2008

I have just returned from my very first Switzerland trip with my wife. I booked Hotel Merkur as my flight was late evening and I did not want to get stuck in an unknown place in the late night freezing cold. The hotel is just a stone's throw away from (infact bang opposite) the Interlaken West railway station.

Since it was late night check-in(around 10:00pm) I had called up the hotel reception from Zurich informing that I had landed and would be arriving late. The reception staff was lukewarm but still nothing to complain. They provide you with 2 keys, one for your room & the other for the hotel main door incase you come in late.
Also gave me 2 bus tickets which you can use to travel in Interlaken, which I had no use for as I had already purchased the 8 day Swiss pass.

The room I was given was very simple in decor facing the railway station. The lighting in the room was pretty dim thou & heating average. Biggest dissapointment was the beds, although twin sharing, they had joined 2 single beds which would shift and create a gap.

Morning breakfast was basically cold and you can opt for eggs by paying extra. In my opinion the breakfast menu was pretty much stomach filling.

The reception was helpful with information of places in and around Interlaken but not beyond that. They have brochures of most of the mountains you can possibly cover.

Even thou not far from the railway station, noise was never an issue and it was a pleasant stay. I would recommend it to any traveller, single or with family.

• Liked — The location & view
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Kirlav
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2007

Originally I'd booked into the Best Western Bernerhof but I cancelled that room and booked into the Merkur instead.

Why? Because staying at the Merkur would save me GBP 100 (roughly USD 175) against the cheapest room the Best Western would offer. Oh, and the Merkur has no single rooms, only doubles and triples, so I knew I wouldn't be squeezed into a tiny little box room!

Arriving late I found the reception staff efficient but not particularly friendly, and I had to remind the clerk about the "gastkarte" ("guest card" issued by the local tourist authority) which he'd forgotten to issue, but that's only a minor niggle.

The clerk did make sure I understood which key was for my room and which for the hotel front door as the front door is locked at 22:30 and you keep your key so you can get back in if you stay out late.

Basically, the hotel and room were what you'd expect for the price; a clean, reasonably sized room with cheap but perfectly usable furniture and (unsurprisingly) no air-con which meant leaving the window open at night - that's not recommended, by the way, because the railway station is not a quiet area, and there's a level (grade) crossing nearby so the crossing alarm will wake you up early in the morning!

The photos will let you see what my room was like; I can't comment on the breakfast as I didn't try it (I rarely eat breakfasts in hotels; I'm not a breakfast person).

If you're looking for a budget stay in Interlaken the Merkur would probably be acceptable to you, although in summer I'd look elsewhere for a room with air-con so you can keep your windows closed.

A real positive if you are travelling is that you are literally seconds away from the station platform, the bus stops and (by walking through the station subway) the landing stage for the Thunersee (Lake Thun) boats.

• Liked — Location - right next to the railway station
  • Disliked — Location (!) - The lack of air conditioning means leaving the window open if it's a warm night, and railway stations aren't quiet places...
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank rossh1
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2006

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of an extended trip throughout Europe.
The hotel is quite central to everything in Interlaken being just around the corner from the main street and right opposite the main train station. This also means that the hotel is also quite noisy with traffic & train noise.
Reception staff were friendly and there is a lift available in the lobby.
Internet terminal is also available in the lobby.
The Room Service staff seemed to be a bit eager during our stay knocking on our door quite early in the morning (8:00am one morning) to do our room. They then knocked again another 2 times (up to 9:00am) - there was no 'do not disturb' signs available for use.
Breakfast was cheeses, cold cuts, cereals & juices. Plus a self-service tea, coffee & hot chocolate machine was available.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JenniG
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights in Sept 2006. This is a decent hotel directly across the Interlaken West station. Location is perfect. The hotel is old with dorm style furniture and dimly lit rooms. The bathroom was clean. Good for a place to crash for a few nights.
The continental breakfast was decent. The staff was informative. No A/C.

Stayed September 2006