“Best hostel in Europe!”

Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just like the title says! I just finished my 3 week tour of Europe, and Backpackers Villa was by far the best hostel I stayed at during my trip. Easy to get to. Within walking distance to everything. Clean, quiet. Easy to meet people. I would recommend this hostel and I would stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 19, 2012

You'll feel a little spoiled at this hostel (compared to others). Right near a bus stop (free) in central Interlaken; free day lockers; 4 separate stovetops for cooking and 3 fridges; laundry (2 tokens, which they give you); free breakfast; cleaning everyday; always someone at the front desk; helpful service.

And, they don't try to nickel and dime you with linens; free-to-use towel, pillowcase, sheets, etc.

5min walk to Metro Bar (below Balmer's hostel).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest level facing the Schilthorn valley.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hostel a big, attractive, airy place with great views of Jungfrau in the distance from the back. It also makes a big deal about its 'free' attractions. Thus, breakfast is included in the price even though it is admittedly a bit basic - cereals, bread, spreads and hot drinks from a machine you have to pay for if you've already used the four tokens you get from reception when checking in. But you also get free use of local buses and free admission to the local town swimming pool. We decided to take advantage of this by taking a dip in the large outdoor pool, which is just across the big grassy area in the middle of Interlaken. yet just as we were leaving the nice clean changing area a woman in black with the words 'Badmeister' on her chest stopped us and demanded 'where are you going!?' 'To the outdoor pool.' 'No, you are not, because we have just closed it.' I pointed out that I could see a man swimming in the pool. So, I said, how could it be closed? But she persisted. 'No, a colleague and I have decided just now that it it closed because of the weather. Were you here last night?' No, we had just arrived. 'There were hailstones and an electrical storm! We have closed the pool so that you do not get struck by lightning!' Obviously, we were not going to be allowed to swim outdoors that afternoon - the risk of death by aquatic electrocution was deemed to be way too high. After a spell in the indoor pool, we went into town. Yet the weather was nice and no storm appeared, In fact, when we walked back to the hostel in the afternoon, it was clear, warm and lovely. We looked in at the outdoor pool. It was still closed although the pool was officially open until 9.30pm. Despite the free access made available by the hostel, Swiss health and safety bureacracy - or another factor - meant we were not getting an outdoor swim in Interlaken that day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Great hostel in central Interlaken. Use either station and it's behind the green in the middle of the main strip of hotels. Very clean, good service and modern facilities. Rooms are a little small but good size bathroom. Good communal area for cooking and dining. Nice reception, free wifi. All you can eat breakfast is basically cereal and toast but other than that great. Not cheap but that's Switzerland. Newer youth hostel is near the station so probably noisier.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Yes it's expensive for a youth hostel (we took a private double which is in the modern extension, quiet but tiny room). Breakfast is very basic with a choice of sliced bread, jam, nutella, dairylea and cereal. But facilities are good with a big (and busy) kitchen, laundry, TV room, dining room and garden. Location is good and away from the ugly strip road that runs through Interlaken. Free WiFi is a bonus. But if choosing to stay in the town again I might shop around for a bigger room for the money and a less institutional ambience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely loved this hostel. They give you keys to a closet where you can keep your things AND a towel for free which I'm discovering is unusual. Breakfast is ALSO included. You're definitely getting a lot for your money. And instead I just sheats you even get a little duvet and duvet cover. The people at the front desk as so nice and very informative. I'd've an idea of what you're looking for. It will help them give you the best advice possible. It's easy waking distance from both train station as well. A fair warning, this is definitely not a party hostel. If you want Somethjng more lively go to balmers. I loved it though because it allowed for a comfortable and safe atmosphere. I hear the laundry is great although I didn't try it. Wishing I had now since all my stuff is dirty ;)

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had an amazing time at Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof! A great location with excellent staff and a decent breakfast compared to most hostels I've been to. The rooms were excellent and in great condition. We have absolutely no complaints and would stay here again if we were given the chance.

Room Tip: We had two separate private rooms with different views of each side of the hostel. Both were excelle...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends