“We go All year. Ski Season to Summer.”
Review of Happy Inn Lodge

and 1 more site!
Happy Inn Lodge
Ranked #15 of 45 Interlaken B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2009

A good clean simple hostal. Very well maintained but very simple. The bar is downstairs so be prepared for some base noise from the music but nothing that you can't sleep through. The pub is frequented by as many locals as travelers and the food is reasonably priced and very affordable. This is our go to place for ski season. Rooms are dorm style and small. But for a place to crash the price can't be beat. The staff is wonderful and feel like family and the food is spectacular in the evenings.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 25, 2008

If you are looking for clean, basic, affordable accommodations in central Interlaken, then find the Happy Inn. With a friendly staff, and a decent bar/pub on the ground floor, you will feel comfortable and pleased with your thrifty choice. Much to my surprise, live music in the bar was not audible in the sleeping rooms. I will stay here again when I return to Interlaken.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Our double room was enormous and lovely and light and airy. Location was close to train station and main street. Staff friendly enough. Expensive internet though (although it is Switzerland). Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2008

To just say, "We had a great stay" would be like saying the Mona Lisa is a painting. It was a stay that was filled with old world hospitality, warmth and charm. The smells of the fresh food that traveled up the old-fashioned wood staircase to your room, made you believe Grandma was at the stove. The clean rooms and toilet areas were better than 7 star hotels I had stayed at. My son, Xander and I had been backpacking for near 2 weeks when arriving at Happy Inn, and we stayed and absorbed the scenery and took in the feel of the town.

RW Wells

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I remembered the name from many years ago when I stayed here and decided to give it another stay, esp. since all 2 star hotels in Switzerland are priced like 3-4 star in other parts of EU. My wife and I got a private family room for the 2 of us, but had to share the bathroom and shower with the floor (ALL rooms here only have sinks). But, the staff cleaned them several times a day and found that I did not have any issues with this there. It was rainy out most of the time and we ended up eating and drinking at the bar below. Have to say, Best food in Interlaken (and at very good prices for Switzerland). At night the room does get some of the bass from the bar noise downstairs and the slamming of the front door, but the bar closes at 12 or 12:30, so if you are joining in the fun, no need to worry. It was one of the quietest hotels I have been to after 12pm, and would stay again!!! We did not take the breakfest, so would not know about that. Also, check out is 10am, kind of early, but you need to be outside if in Interlaken!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I had a great time staying here. I stayed here August 2006 and I still have pleasant memories of the place.

It's a 5 min walk from the train station. The staff seemed relatively friendly although I barely had to interact with them. I tried their restaurant dowstairs and their food is fantastic! The waiters are really cute, young guys and you could talk to them about any local tips you might need.

I was a gay guy travelling alone at the age of 20 and so I booked a private room with two beds. With two comforters and my own private sink, the price was definitely worth it. I had to use the common bathroom for showering. Facilities work great and were remarkably clean as most places in Switzerland. To save electricity, lights would automatically turn on from sensitivity activated flooring...great if you're fumbling in the night.

It was quiet and I really enjoyed my stay. My only scare is that when I was leaving on Sunday, they locked up the place. I didn't realize this and freaked out because all my luggage was in there and I had to catch my train. Fortunately cleaning staff told me to go in the side entrance and I got my stuff. Good thing I was close to the train station.

By the way, there didn't seem to be much of a gay scene here so I had to settle for the cute servers at the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2007

This is the story... I got to the nice looking happy inn lodge looking for a room. It´s a bar, always busy and a pretty nice place. The problem starts when you try to get any information about your stay. Everybody is always busy and you have to wait, sometimes a lot, to have any info. So... I got a room for one night and told them that If the weather was good I would stay for more, If possible.

Next morning, after some minutes waiting, I told them that I would like to stay for one more night and asked If I need to pay in advance. They told me that it was ok and they were very busy at the moment and I should talk later.

I went for some sightseeing and when I came back at about 5 PM I got to the "reception" to pay my expenses. And then I got the biggest surprise of my entire 2 month, 15 country trip: The big guy at the bar, supposelly the owner, told me in front of everybody that I should have left before because they already had a reservation for my room and they lost the couple that would stay there. He told me in a very unpolite way that I should leave. So I just got my stuff, paid for my room (at least was cheap) and left. When I was leaving he said in a loud voice that I was not welcome there.

So... there were no more hotels by that time and I had to replan my trip before the last train left.

Think twice about staying with such people.

1  Thank extreme_photo