“Excellent place to stay”

Interlaken Youth Hostel
Lucknow, India
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Youth Hostel is an excellent place to stay for following reasons:
Location: 2 minutes walk from Interlaken Ost Railway Station and nearest Bus Stop. Supermarket just across the road. The local market and other places to eat are within 10 minutes walk from the Hostel.
Service: The Wi-fi works good, but one can use it only in the lobby area on the ground floor. There is a password to activate wi-fi, which one would need to get from the reception desk.
Room: The Hostel had just opened when I visited in May 2012 and as such rooms were very clean. I stayed in a 4 bed room, and it was sufficiently spacious with an excellent view of Alps from the large window. There are four small lockers provided in the room with separate keys. There is one wash-basin too near the door.
Food: Breakfast is complimentary and with lots to choose from (different types of breads, hot and cold milk, varieties of cornflakes, butter, jam, honey, juice etc.). One can also have dinner in the Hostel (though I did not have it. I visited local restaurants for dinner).
Price: Very moderately priced. Excellent value for money.
Overall: Excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 16KB22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 29, 2013

First, the positives: you couldn't ask for a better location. Literally a 1 minute walk from Interlaken Ost train station. Facilities are modern, free breakfast, and staff speaks excellent English and are very friendly. One employee in particular bent over backwards to help me after my experience, but that experience in itself was enough to turn me off ever staying at this hostel again, despite her friendliness.

Now, the negatives. After my second night there, I began developing itchy red welts on my arms, hands, neck and face. I became concerned and alerted reception, who shared my opinion that they were bedbug bites. They sent in a team of people to check my room and found several bedbugs on the wall behind someone else's bed.

They gave me a new room, also transferring my two dormmates to the same room. I was too creeped out and apprehensive to go in and make my new bed right away, and about an hour later I went up by myself, making sure to give the room a thorough scouring before I settled again. Sure enough, I came across ANOTHER bedbug in the NEW room, chillin' on the wall in broad daylight. Either a) the bugs were traveling with the dormmates who were transferred to the new room with me and who settled in an hour before I did, and coincidentally one hopped off their bags to a wall on the opposite side of the room in that short amount of time, or b) (more likely, in my opinion) the entire hostel is infested.

The hostel gave me a refund for one night (out of three) and put me up for free in a single room with an attached shower and bathroom, I think in an attempt to make me feel better about the situation. I wouldn't have lingered, but couldn't grab a train out of Interlaken until the following morning. While the new room appeared clean, I still developed a few new bites overnight, although they could have been pre-existing bites that worsened, because I seem to have a pretty bad allergic reaction to them.

I'm aware this isn't directly the fault of the hostel itself: bedbugs are a risk of any high-traffic sleeping area, and short of fumigating all incoming guests, there's not much that can be done to prevent transmission, aside from washing linens regularly, which this hostel does. People aren't permitted private sleeping bags. But still: if there are a few around, there are almost assuredly more.

Long story short: while the female employee I dealt with was super apologetic and extremely kind and even brought me a breakfast to take away for my early departure the next morning, the manager could have done a little more, namely, refunding me the other two nights. He assured me that they would fumigate the rooms in question, but if this is a hostel-wide problem like I suspect it is, that won't be an effective solution.

I've never had the misfortune of dealing with bedbugs before, and I hope never to again. The bites are extremely itchy, red, and stigmatising. Not all of them are easy to cover up. My future sleeps have been disrupted from paranoia...this has been generally a terrible experience. Exercise EXTREME caution when staying here! And I suppose while staying anywhere. By all accounts this is a clean, well-rated hostel...but direct experience suggests perhaps looking elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank gareth_mzi
Singapore
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

It's a lovely hostel. The facility is new and clean and the reception is warm and helpful. The whole standard is within hostel international standard and you can get a discount if you have hostel international membership card. In room offers individual lockers and individual reading light and power plug. Which is very secure and thoughtful. The heating and lighting of the room is super. The standard is like a hotel. The hostel is just near interlaken east station, and nearby got Coops supermarket and restaurant. The ground floor of the hostel feature a common area and 3_a restaurant and cafe.And there's a microwave oven and water heated if you want to make some instant food your own. The hostel also offer free breakfast.
Besides that, the majority of the guests here,(as last time I lives here) features lots of family vacationer with kids.(which is not that often you can find in a youth hostel) And there seems to be no organizing of pub event or some activities as YHA Australia did. There seems to be a little quiet and private and less party mood here. But that's just fine for Interlaken Scenary which literally you can see Jungfrau opposite your hostel windows.!
Besides that, do check out Spiez which just near interlaken but offers great view of the lake region and snow mountains, It's exceptionally!!And in town there are lot of lovely houses..
All in all, it's a perfect hostel. And I am surprised there are not many of reviews here in TA as there are alr tons of them in bookings. Probably coz of name translation....

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Arseian
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I organised a ski trip to the Jungfrau region of Switzerland and decided that the best option was to stay in Interlaken. We picked the youth hostel, as I've stayed in the youth hostels in Switzerland before. The hostel is superbly placed, within 200 metres to the right of Interlaken Ost railway station. On arrival, we were met by very friendly reception staff. Due to one of our party cancelling at the last minute, we were re arranged into different rooms at no extra cost. This may not always happen, as the the hostel was quiet, so they had the capacity to do so. The rooms , by hostel standards were excellent, and could not fault them. I've stayed in worse 3* hotels. As we'd pre booked meals, this saved from going up town every night. While it was not gourmet cooking, the meals were fine, and fulsome. The lounge area was a great place to chill out in the evening, with an enclosed fire, free wifi, a pool table and a bar. Drinks prices were very good by Swiss standards, and they were accompanied with free nibbles at times. Breakfast, was typical continental fare, with cereals, bread, jams and cheeses followed up with a choice of tea or coffees. The hostel does have a ski room, which also doubles as a bike room, which is adjacent to the large underground car park. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff at the hostel, who go out of their way to make you feel at home and are very professional. I would definitely recommend this hostel to singles, families and groups looking to explore this beautiful area, and with transport links 200 metres away it is ideal for skiers and hikers as well.

Room Tip: Although we stayed in a two person room which was great, 4 people sharing a 4 bedded room may find i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
shanghai
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is the closest hotel to interlaken ost station, only 3 mins walk. so if you going to take train to Jungfrau, this is the best location of accomodation.
Hostel is modern style. I took standard double bed room. It has a lovely balcony facing the mountain and river. The room is spacious, though furniture is simple but very functional.bath room has small sink and shower space, the hardware is good quality, and shower water is warm and good enough.
I like the lobby very much, it serve as a breadfast restaurant and public living room. Buffet breakfast is excellent, juice, coffee, bread, ham, cereal, cheese,many choices, make you an energetic start of the day.
the room rate is very reasonable. if I come back to interlaken, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for room with balcony and view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Summary: We will not consider staying anywhere else in Interlaken if this place continues to be THIS GOOD!

Details:
We stayed as a family of four adults in a room with 4 beds (2 single put together, and a 2-tier bunk bed), WC, shower and balcony.

Pros:
Brand new - the building was just completed in Sept 2012

Clean, clean and CLEAN! - everywhere we looked the place was clean: the beds, the ensuite WC/shower, hallways, elevator, stairs, lobby, dinning area, even the shared WCs and showers! Seriously, my husband and I both agree we could probably eat off the floor of the shared WCs. It's THAT clean!

Spacious rooms - big enough for 4 adults to move around comfortably even after all the suitcases are hauled in

Spacious elevator - again, big enough for 4 adults + their reasonable size luggage

Breakfast included - anyone who has traveled to Switzerland knows everything there is $$$. A sit-down breakfast is no exception. Having breakfast included in the room rate is therefore a great perk. Selection of food is reasonable: 4 types of cereal, choices of fruits, juices, milk, deli meat, cheese, bread, (good quality) coffee and tea. If croissants are must for your mornings, please bring some cash. They are not included in the standard breakfast.

Free wifi in lobby - wifi is only available in the lobby, and considering there were maybe 15 - 20 teenagers texting, browsing, instagraming, FB-ing, video gaming and 1 person even video-streaming over the same connection with us at the time, the speed was great.

Environmentally friendly - lighting in common areas is motion sensitive. Lights in lobby stay on until late in the night, then it's set to motion sensitive mode. If you happen to wake up at 3am and want to check email, don't worry about the pitch-black hallways and lobby. They will light up as soon as you step out!

Late check-in - you can check into your room as late as midnight!

Don't have to be a YHA member - you can reserve and stay in a room in the hostel without being a member of YHA. Although you are charged an extra CHF 6 per night for your stay

Location - Interlaken OST station is literally next store. Perfect if trying to catch a train early the next day

Cons:
Location w.r.t downtown - it was maybe a 10-12 mins walk. Not a biggie for us, but some people may prefer to be closer to nicer restaurants

Putting linen on your own bed - new set of bedspread, pillow case and duvet cover was put at the end of each of our beds at check-in. Guests were supposed to dress the bed and pillow themselves, and return the linen to a designated area at check-out. Our elderly parents struggled a little to put the fitted sheet on the mattress, but it wasn't anything we couldn't help them complete. So again, not a biggie for us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bnlgremlin
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The place is 2 minutes walk from the Interlaken OST railway station. Please avoid the directions given by Google maps as its useless and misleading. The reception staff were very helpful and charming. We got a couple room with ensuite bathroom and a very reasonable rate. The rooms were spotless clean and offerred a beautiful view, The included breakfast was just superb. The Hostel had a huge restaurant/cafe with reasonably priced food. I shall definitely recommend this to my friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple