All reviewsinterlaken west stationsmall balconyfront desk personaverage hotelhotel entranceeating jointselectric fansouvenir shopsthe hotel staffhot showerexcellent locationbus stationeasy accessfree passlocal transportbreadbreakfast buffet
Reviewed January 13, 2010

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2010

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed January 4, 2010

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This feels more like a motel than a hotel. The front desk staff are very friendly, but the rooms are dumpy and tiny. The bed felt like I was sleeping on a wooden box and the pillow was used and abused so much that it functioned more like a lump than a pillow. I am a small person, yet the comforter seemed tiny enough to work only for a child's bed. This hotel is conveniently located and thus, the street noise and light make it impossible to sleep with the windows open and there is NO ventilation in the rooms and no fan. You feel like you are suffocating, especially because the rooms are so tiny. The bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom. No toiletries provided, just a general wall dispenser of soap labeled to be used on face, body, hair and clothes. It didn't have the nicest smell and really was tough on your skin. Breakfast was decent and the hostess/waitress was attentive, not pleasant, but you didn't feel ignored.

A few things you should know: 1) They have a key control system. They give you the room key from an electronic wall panel labeled with your room number. They insert a flat blue key in the spot when they remove your key. Whenever you leave the building, you have to put your room key back in the wall panel and take the flat blue key, just in case you are coming back very late and the front door to the building is locked. This means the key to your room is hanging there in the lobby. There is a sense of vulnerability with this arrangement and we were not comfortable leaving any valuables in our room, even with the tiny safe...which wasn't bolted down and could very easily be carried off. 2) The hotel allows smoking throughout.

I don't believe this is a place for families or anyone used to staying in what is considered a 3 star by US standards. Maybe for college kids, someone looking for a one night touchdown spot after hiking etc. This isn't really a vacationers hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vmsPhiladelphia
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My wife and I stayed in Interlaken as a base for our visits to Thun, Oberhofen, and Grindelwald. We had a lovely time. The hotel is fair. Reminds me of an off the Highway exit Best Western in the states. No frills, really small washroom and shower.

My experience at breakfast was very odd. We were running late on our schedule, and I did not have time to eat breakfast, so I made a sandwich and wrapped it in a paper napkin. A lady came out from the kitchen and scolded me for stealing! What? What is the differenc if I eat the sandwich there or on the train up to Grindelwald? Oh Well, maybe she thinks I was loading up my backpack. I found that experience very rude and judgemental. Afterall we paid the full board rate. Overall the hotel is decent value in that area.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple