“If you are a train lover”
Review of Hotel Du Lac

Hotel Du Lac
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Interlaken
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Across the road from Interlaken Ost train station on the River.This was our second visit 2010 was our first we loved it then and still love it. The staff are exceptional. Our first visit was my husbands dream. Sitting on the balcony with wine in hand overlooking the train station . NOT Noisy if you are fussed close the shutters Second visit my dream view on the other side overlooking the river and the mountain. Do not deny yourself the magnificent dinning experience of the restaurant. The best evening meal in Interlaken . This is not a five star hotel but this is 5star for service and restaurant evening meal

Room Tip: Overlooking the station if you are a train lover and overlooking the river for the most beautiful mo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank perthmissfussy
There are newer reviews for Hotel Du Lac

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This family hotel was the best one I had in my Europe trips for the past 18 years for vacation stays. All the staff are super helpful, serve you with their full heart. Staying there for 15 days with half board rate include breakfast and dinner. That waas great value for what we paid for. The hotel restuarant is elegant with river side view. Surpising that we had dinner for 15 days there, and there was no repeat in the menu, the Chef has prepare the menu with best food for their guests. The deserts were fantastic that you can resist.
It gave you a warm home feeling from all the hotel staff. Great internet connection at room that is free of charge. I like the bedding they used in the room that like unlike most of the hotel just using white sheets and pillow cases. They even change the bedding every 2 days.
We were all surprised after dinner on our last night stay at the hotel, a lovely home made fruit jam, small cholocates and a Jungfrau calendar was sent to our room as thank you gift.
If you go for business, that is also a good location too, less than 5 minutes walk from Interlaken Ost Train station to hotel.
On the day I left, I saw other hotel guests checking out and all have a happy smile. The staff on duty were going to the guest to say goodbye as well. Just can't resist to come back again!

Room Tip: If you don't have idea where to go for dinner, best to ask for the half boarding rate that inclu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DorisChan
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in September 2012, we had previously visited in 2009. The staff were friendly and efficient, the room was spacious and comfortable, with plenty of cupboard space, we always looked forward to the evening 4 course meal, which was delicious, especially the desserts! The breakfast was fine, I was pleased there was a selection of fresh fruit and yogurt as well as the usual continental breakfast ingredients.

The hotel is very conveniently situated for the train, buses and boats on Lake Brienz, we had a Swiss Travel Pass so did a lot of travelling during our stay. A nice touch was that we were given a calendar, local chocolate and a jar of home made apricot conserve as a parting gift. We would definitely stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bandpk
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Yet another enjoyable week at this traditional hotel. If you want good food, personal service and a great location, try Du Lac.
Book a room overlooking the river if you want peace and quiet - but the advantage of being near to the train station way outweighs any noise from the trains ( and there are no trains overnight).
We may be biased - have enjoyed an annual holiday at this hotel for the past 16 years!!!!!

Room Tip: Book a river view room - its quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sylvia F
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This hotel made my first experience in best service from any hotel I have stayed AROUND THE WORLD. From it's home-feeling and cozy decoration, completed with very competent, friendly, and super helpful staffs.

ZAKI from the lobby made a blazing quick check in for us. He also very helpful organizing routes, transports and any information we needed regarding Interlaken. He even gave my money back after I made a wrong purchase for prepaid card top-up / recharge he recommended me (I don't force him to get my money back, That's all initiative from him. I just told him that I can't use my top-up. Yeah I feel bad, but wow he was just very kind. :) IAN made me delicious cheese sandwich when I was late for breakfast :) Mr. Hoffman was very wise giving any insights. And Christine gave the best chocolate in Interlaken before I was leaving the hotel :)

Rooms were very cozy and clean. The river view was absolutely fantastic. Having any drink while sitting in the terrace was my favourite thing. It's peace, calming, the river made very good sound of drifting water and made my worries disappear. Daydreaming is optional :)

I would say the bathroom was the cleanest from any hotel I have ever stayed. Designed with 70s / 80s style bathroom equipments but still very clean made me think I was in some sort of time machine. What a lovely feeling since I am big fan of 70-80's decor :)

If you don't mind using stairs, you can find galleries from floor to floor which is very wonderful touch :)

My only concern left is the bed was sometime a bit creaky and lack of hot food items for breakfast :( Nevertheless, wouldn't ruin your stay at hotel Du Lac because it's just small matter compared to the big pros from this hotel :)

I would definitely come back again if I visit Interlaken again for another wonderful experience :)

cheers

(sorry for my bad english)

Room Tip: Pick rooms with the river view, or any train station / hoehestrasse view located on the most west si...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Ideally located next to station with beautiful views over river and mountains.

All staff extremely friendly, both at check in and at breakfast.

Rooms are dated but okay. I'm 1m82 and the bed was too small. Due to board at feet I couldn't stretch out completely.

There is no fridge so the drinks of the bar are room temperature.

No wifi in rooms, only lobby.

Bathroom ok. Shower gel and shampoo provided.

Breakfast mediocre at best. Bread ok but croissants were pOor quality.

Coffee gOod, apple juice poor quality. No hot
Items except for the boiled eggs.

Would not stay again at this rate.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 23, 2012

As we were travelling from Geneva to Lucerne, we thought that a break in Interlaken for a trip up the Jungfrau would be pleasant and so we wanted a place to stay for only one night. Looking for a hotel one would not normally choose one that is described as just by the railway station. However there was one with that description that we chose. We did so for two reasons: one that it was family run and had been since 1883 which is always gratifying in this corporate chain world and secondly its name. I have always wanted to stay in a hotel called Hotel du Lac.
The hotel can be seen from the station and is an attractive building in its own right with a faint air of French style about it. We walked into not so much a reception area but a spacious, cool, space with comfortable chairs, their wood lit by the sunlight from outside. Was this Reception? Yes a small discrete desk indicated that it was and almost appeared to be an afterthought. We enjoyed a friendly, unfussy welcome and were given the key to our room. Keys are deposited and taken from and open box rather than having to ask for them and hand them in. So we went to our room (by the most efficient lift in the world) and what a room. It was large, contemporary furniture and white. This is my idea of a perfect room. We also had a balcony that looked towards the mountains. Ordinarily I am not all that keen on balconies, as being someone who gets vertigo standing on a chair changing a light bulb, they are not places where I feel comfortable. However with a bottle of wine and some food from the incredibly well stocked Coop over the station I ventured out on to it. The view is also of the station but as I like trains and those of the Swiss variety are manifold in their age, design and interest, so this added to the attraction.
There was a small group of guests staying in the hotel where one was in a wheelchair. I witnessed a conversation between one of the carers and Reception and the latter could not have been more helpful. It was also obvious that the party had used this hotel on past occasions; a recommendation in itself.
Already beginning to regret that we were only in Interlaken for the one night, the breakfast next morning set the seal on our wanting to return at the earliest opportunity. A lovely room beside the lake with a boat with its curlicues of gold embossed prow at anchor outside the window. The breakfast was more than the usual ‘continental’ but varied and filling. Sometimes hotel breakfast rooms can be a little edgy but this one was so relaxing it made one reluctant to leave.
I am going to say that this hotel ticked all the boxes that add up to the word ‘perfection’. It is quite simply the best hotel in continental Europe in which I have ever stayed. I cannot think of anything to say in its despite. As we were leaving we said to the lady behind the desk how much we had enjoyed our all to brief stay and that we had already decided to return. She said, “To enjoy your return, you first must leave.”
We cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake or the mountains, both are stunning
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple