“Canyoning is Amazing”

Book In Advance
More Info
$132.99*
and up
Swiss Alps Beginner Canyoning Experience from...
More attraction details
Owner description: Outdoor Interlaken is Switzerland’s leading adventure activity expert. Nestled in the middle of the Swiss Alps and surrounded by lakes, river and mountains, our prime location provides the ultimate adventure playground. On the ground, in the air and on water, we offer every guest the opportunities to explore their potential and expand their horizons. Whether you are an independent traveler, a family or a company, we look forward to sharing our love of the outdoors and our passion for adventure. Get busy living!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This was my second time going canyoning with Outdoor Interlaken, and I'd go again in a heartbeat! Both times I did canyoning Grimsel, which is beautiful! The guides are awesome. They're fun and I've never felt unsafe (and I'm a chicken!) If you have the opportunity, go canyoning! When I'm back in Interlaken, I'll definitely book other excursions through Outdoor Interlaken.

All reviews
in 21 reviews
"made us feel"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed August 13, 2014

(This review is of the guide's capabilities in an emergency and not the overall company.)

I went into this very nervous. I'm not scared of heights, but just kind of a nervous person in general and don't have any experience rock climbing. The first slide was fun and I decided to just act like I wasn't nervous and be confident about the jumps, like the guides encouraged us to do. The first jump was the highest, I think 30 feet. As soon as I hit the water I knew I had dislocated my shoulder and tried to signal for help. Within moments a guide, Mustard, had me out of the water and my life jacket off, calmly and quickly moving into place to reset the shoulder. When I realized what he was going to do I think I got a bit hysterical, but he was very clear I had no choice, and that it was the only option. I don't remember a whole lot of him popping it back in, except the pain, and the relief when it was reset. The guides discussed the best plan of action and it was decided Mustard would "take me out," with other guide's help as needed. Well, "take me out," actually meant take me through most of the canyon until we could "walk out" (which meant hike up a super steep hill back to the vans). I was repelled down the canyon for I think two hours, although it felt like a lifetime, clipped into a line, using the guides feet and legs as steps, listening to every instruction on where to place every foot and hand, at times holding my shoulder in with my good hand so it didn't pop back out. It was crazy. They reassured me every step, encouraged me through the hard parts, continually telling me that it was almost over, we're almost there, even when it wasn't true. I am so grateful for the white lies. They even comforted and hugged me when I full-on lost it before and after being lowered down over a cliff where I couldn't see the bottom.

While I don't think I would do this again, I am impressed by and grateful for the competency and professionalism of the guides. If they had showed fear or hesitancy about what to do I would have picked up on that. While I was terrified through much of the getting me out, I fully trusted Mustard's decisions and felt comfortable relying on him entirely for my safety.

So rather than a cautionary not to do this, I would instead see it as a positive for the company - you can go into knowing if there is an accident (dislocations are apparently very rare in the setting unless you have a history of them) that you will be in very good hands. Thanks again, Mustard!!!

3  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I went canyoning with Outdoor Interlaken at Chli Schliere. The trip was amazing and well planned. All guides were extremely professional, you could tell they knew what they were doing. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend this trip to anyone looking to do something adventurous while in Switzerland.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Canyoning at Chli Schliere was phenomenal! I highly recommend this adventure for all adventure seekers! The guides were superb, the jumps, slides and rappels were thrilling, and the entire trip was professionally planned. Well-done, guys! I hope to come back and bring some friends one day. -Shocker