“Chillin' in Interlacken”

Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Interlaken
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Reading some of the other reviews, I hate to be redundant, but....
Check-in was seamless....Valet>Concierge>Reception; our luggage was in the room by the time we got there; the cool washcloths at reception - first time I've seen that - nice touch!
We also had the Amex Platinum upgrade - gorgeous suite with huge balcony facing the Jungfrau and the hang glider landing area! The newly upgraded bath was almost perfect, but I'm not fond of plastic spaceship showers - small, and difficult to close the doors and not flood the room.
Regret - we never made it to the spa.
Restaurants - I will review those separately, but at The Jungfrau Brasserie the food was outstanding, but the service lacked polish - no big deal. The chef at The Jungfrau Brasserie was amazing - all courses absolutely infused with flavor;
La Terrasse was probably the most disappointing meal of our 3+ week trip - the service was impeccable, but the food was blah at best - we had the 'Pork 6 Ways' menu - what a disservice to that poor little pig. And for the tidy sum of $600+ for 2 (including wine, which I had to choose as the sommelier/maître d' really had no clue what to serve with the set menu)...
However, the pianist in the La Terrasse restaurant was incredible!

2  Thank J_Fromage
Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed at the property for 6 days in early June for a family vacation. Amazing views of the Jungfrau massif from our room. Beautiful property and the best in Interlaken. Very close to Interlaken West station and just a 15 min walk to Interlaken Ost station. Delightful service by all staff at restaurant, concierge and room service. Our departure date happened to be my wife's birthday and the F&B team prepared an absolutely fabulous chocolate cake and served it for breakfast. Special thanks to F&B manager Kathrin Vontobel for organising this. Truly memorable stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2014

This hotel is 150 years old and beautiful filled with old world charm. We had a junior suite facing the Jung Frau and had two days of beautiful blue skies and unobstructed views. Fabulous. Services were excellent throughout the hotel.

Our room was clean and simple and quite large sized for Europe. Our beds were comfy and the linens were high thread counts. We never turned on our TV as we were busy having coffee on the downstairs terrace or drinking wine on our terrace. The view was "pinch me it's real" type views....wow.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. If I have one complaint it would be that the hotel has no AC in their rooms. That said, they have a forced air system and you can open the windows. Temperatures at night in Interlaken even in summer are around 50-60 degrees....However if global warming keeps up, they may have to re think this. That is why I gave them only 4 stars.
For the prices they are charging, they should have it, need it or not.

Enjoy your stay in beautiful interlaken.

Room Tip: Try for a Jung Frau view....but if not...you see the mountains from everywhere along the promenade...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank NYCshopper
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Went here on a family vacation and ending up staying in one of the 2 floor suites that was absolutely mind blowing. You do not need to be carrying a Louis Vuitton bag or have to be wearing Gucci loafers to receive the best treatment; everyone that works this hotel treats their guest with the up must respect. This hotel is pure class.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank William C
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed staying in the hotel, the service was perfect. The best thing was the check in and check out, seriously it was very very fast comparing to any other hotel in the world. The location was perfect, the breakfast was below my expectation. I don't know why they don't open the outdoor seating area .

Overall i was happy to stay in this hotel and i recommend it to you all.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2014

It is difficult for me to criticize this hotel since the property and rooms are so beautiful. Everything inside and outside of the hotel was well maintained. The hotel is really an eye full. As part of our Amex Platinum deal, we were given an upgrade to a suite with terrific views of the Jungfrau. It was fun to watch the hang gliders land on the park lawn just across the street from us.

The hotel's morning buffet breakfasts were best we experienced in our two weeks of traveling around Switzerland. In their beautiful dining room, the hotel staff was always very attentive and helpful. You could not ask for better service or quality of food.

The hotel does accept tour groups so it can get a little chaotic at times. The Victoria does have a very international and but yet polite clientele. But I generally felt that there was a lack of staff training and attention to detail when it came to housekeeping. Very un-Swiss. We requested an extra bar of soap, some hangers, and a new light bulb in bathroom the first morning from housekeeping. When we returned to our room later that afternoon, nothing was done. Not happy. I then personally spoke to the concierge (nicely) and asked for his personal help. Again nothing happened. I later called down to housekeeping and got a hold of an English speaking staff member and lodged a sharper complaint. Only then did things start to happen. To make amends, housekeeping sent up a split of champagne. That was nice but I would rather have them change the sheets at least once during our three day stay. I guess when you are paying over 800CHF per night one should not expect too much at the Victoria.

When I checked out, I noticed that the clerk did not give me my $100 credit which was part of my Amex package. I brought this up and the clek then checked the files and discovered I was right. This made me feel uneasy. In my 48 years of international traveling, I never had to bring this up. Fine hotels are always very proud to remind a customer of the credit due. Again, I think it was more poor training than anything dishonest.

Lastly, the hotel's Italian restaurant was not that great in terms of food. My wife ordered a pizza which she described as a piece of dry cardboard with meat on top. She complained and they just said sorry. The setting, however, was lovely.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We had a corner junior suite facing Jungfrau (via AmEx Platinum upgrade) and the room was superb. The bathroom was unbelievable with a glass enclosed toilet and glass enclosed shower. It was very hot during our visit to Interlaken, but the AC was sufficient to keep the room cool, perhaps because we were on the 2nd floor. I'm not sure why a previous writer had a different outcome. Also, we found the staff very helpful and accommodating. Our only real complaint was that the restaurants did not have menu selections that appealed to us and, more importantly, those restaurants were ridiculously expensive. We're used to high end restaurants, but found Swiss prices (not just here, but also elsewhere) just crazy. Also, we found the Osso Buco at Quaranta Uno inedible. By coincidence, we happened to speak with another couple the next day and they also mentioned they had a bad experience at this restaurant as well as another party they met.
We visited Interlaken 30 years ago, stayed at Victoria Jungfrau and had a wonderful experience. The town and the hotel have changed dramatically since then and we would not return, in spite of the mountain beauty. The hotel has expanded and is much more modern, thus losing some of its Swiss charm. Interlaken itself is extremely crowded with tourists, with the vast majority being Asian, Indian and Arab. (I'm simply being factual here.) One can hardly find a Swiss person there. The train ride to Jungfraujoch is spectacular and a must event. However, it takes a full day and, again, is quite expensive. Also, a visit to the Grand Hotel Giessbach is well worth it since it sits at the far end of Lake Brienz and you have a view of the lake and a spectacular waterfall from the terrace where you can have lunch.