“A Hotel with a Breathtaking View”

Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Interlaken
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The hotel faces the mountains; however, we had to stay in a room on the opposite side. The room was rather small and the floor seems to be slightly slant. The best thing of this hotel was a spa. I had a very relaxing time there. Also, breakfast was good and a hotel staff member was very friendly and I had a nice chat with her. For dinner, I asked a concierge to recommend a restaurant for us to have traditional Swiss dishes. Unfortunately the food of the restaurant he recommended was not good. I think the concierge should have shown us a list of restaurants to choose from and should have given some explanation about each restaurant. Do I demand too much?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank yokohama235

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Victoria Jungfrau used to be a flagship for Switzerlands hotel industry. There are some positive changes, one of the restaurants have improved, but still Pasta which can be eaten everywhere. The "new type" of guests is arriving in coaches and I do hardly believe that those people are spending additional money in the hotel, they are entering the rooms with food bags from local discounters. The rooms definitely need reconstruction, in addition the cleaning was terrible this time, parts of flowers were blocking the lavatory, small pieces from nuts were on the floor as well as on the chairs, even after telling to the reception. Bath tube was full of black hairs, water in the shower was not rinsing properly, most probably hair too... I will try Lindner Beau Rivage for my next visit to Interlaken.

2  Thank CAH72
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel has a nice entrance and nice, but worn, common areas. My junior suite, at just under $700 per night, was an ok size, and made to seem bigger than it actually was due to sparse, old furnishings. The room was hot, but the hotel does not have air conditioning, which probably had not been invented the last time the room was renovated. The staff was pleasant, but overall, I would definitely not recommend this hotel. An average hotel at way above average prices.

1  Thank Travlnjoe
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The perfect gateway to the wonderful Jungfrau glacier. The hotel is prime quality, rooms are spacious and nicely refurbished, service is excellent as we can expect from a hotel of this category. You will enter a real palace, and will enjoy the service you deserve. I particularly appreciated the cigar lounge, the swimming-pool, and obviously the incredible view from the room to the Jungfrau. I didn't try the restaurants, but I went to the buffet at the breakfast. Eggs were really good (which is difficult to find in such buffets usually), and there is a nice attention to the kids with a special corner for them.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the rooms with a view on the Jungfrau
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Victoria Jungfrau sits like a queen in the middle of Interlaken. It's sited strategically to take advantage of the distant views of the Jungfrau. Our room looked directly on to that view, and it was a pleasure to sit on the small balcony to enjoy it. We could also watch the paragliders landing, a dozen at a time, on the green directly in front of the hotel.

The hotel originally consisted of two separate establishments, the Victoria and the Jungfrau, which were subsequently joined by a corridor. It's a huge hotel with impressive amounts of public space, including several restaurants, an enormous spa, meeting rooms, a billiard room, and sitting rooms. Therein lies the dilemma. Do you want to pay for all that space? Your bill will certainly reflect it. We swam in the pool and . . . that's it. We didn't really hang out in the hotel at all, not even to have a drink in the attractive outside bar on a hot summer day. We had planned to, but over the three days we were there, we just never got around to it.

Our room was large, and as I've mentioned, we had a lovely view of the Jungfrau. I found the decor of our room attractive but dated. There's no air conditioning at all in the hotel because -- as the front desk attendant made sure to tell us -- the historic fabric of the building won't allow air conditioning to be installed. Really?? I've stayed in many historic hotels, including some in Switzerland, and they seem to have managed to install modern ventilation. An extended heat wave descended on the country during our visit, but fortunately, our room stayed cool enough so that we didn't notice too much.

The hotel caters to tour groups. It was filled with Chinese tourists, all buying expensive Swiss watches along Interlaken's main boulevard. To get away from the crowds we wandered across the river to the Unterseen neighborhood, about a 10-15 stroll from the hotel. There's a lovely square there (I wish I could remember the name!) with three good restaurants: Citta Vecchia for Italian food, the Stadthaus for good Swiss dishes, and a very upmarket one called Benacus that we didn't have time to try. We ate outside while the church bells rang -- magical! I'm so glad we found that area of town, away from the very touristy part of Interlaken and much cheaper than the hotel's restaurants.

Our check out was a bit of a disaster. The front desk clerk put my partner's credit card into the machine and couldn't get it out. She panicked and called her colleague (not the manager, just another colleague) who then called a maintenance guy to try to take the machine apart! In the meantime, the front desk clerk offered to send it to our next destination, once they got it out of the machine. Well, we certainly weren't going to leave our credit card behind. Finally, after about a half hour of watching them struggle, my partner suggested they call the credit card company, whose number was very visibly attached to the machine. They did, the credit card company gave them a code, and when they punched it in, the card popped right out. But by that time we had concluded that 1) the desk staff were incompetent 2) They had never been trained to deal with such matters. Offering to send our credit card to our next destination was insane; you don't keep a client's credit card, ever! 3) The credit card machine was clearly very old and needed to be replaced and 4) A guest's experience at check out matters very, very much because it's their last impression of an establishment. Our last(ing) impression of the Victoria Jungfrau is now less than stellar.

I'm glad we were able to experience Interlaken; it's a pleasant town. But next time, I think we'll skip it and go straight to Wengen or Grindelwald, where the real mountain hikes begin.

As for the Victoria Jungfrau -- we stayed in four hotels during our trip to Switzerland, and in my opinion it gave us the least value for money. Oh, we enjoyed it -- it's an impressive hotel, and the breakfasts and spa area were particularly good. But it was the most expensive because, I suspect, it's got the highest upkeep. So many large public rooms and facilities, most of which we never used!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SkyeTraveler
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The bets hotel to stay in Interlaken , great heritage hotel with huge rooms and boobies , unlike other European hotel. All real five facilities , good service neat and clean hotel , food is excellent.
If you have the budget this is the place.

Room Tip: If you have Budget then go for it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I love places like Victoria Jungfrau, but unfortunately there is so few of them left. What a grandezza! And pretty well maintained and refurbished. The public areas from restaurants via bars, terraces to the smoker room are absolutely fantastic. On a sunny day you see the Jungfrau mountain. So beautiful. Easy access to city and other gastronomy in walking distance.