“Lehmans Herberge should be avoided at any cost”
Review of Lehmann`s Herberge

Lehmann`s Herberge
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Hendrik ido Ambacht
“Lehmans Herberge should be avoided at any cost”
Reviewed November 6, 2009

we planned to stay in this little hotel hotel with the well known ill-tempered owner, but after seeing this miserable room for 160 francs a night we got away as quickly as we could. I only have one advice: stay away from this overpriced dump-place and save some extra money for a real hotel! Anwyway, on the last day of 2006 we found a lovely room just across the street at the Steinbock hotel.
o, Lehmans, what a terrible place to stay!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank taams020

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver
Reviewed July 28, 2009

If you are by yourself, this place cannot be be beaten. The location is in the center of town. The view from the balcony is of the Eiger, The breakfast was superb - as soon as the best cheese was consumed, Frau Lehman brought more, The coffee was fresh, The food was unlimited. The noise ordinance at 2200 hrs was enforced! So you get some sleep. Until their kid starts running around at 0600. And there was adequate parking - 6 spaces for 6 rooms. Now, you do have to drive down a 20% grade with a 2 meter gap between walls to get to it, but my rented Citroen C5 (European Full Size) had at least 1 cm to spare on either side. If your car is too wide, there is a municiple garage a few hundred meters away for CHF18 per 24 hrs.

The bad thing, and this is because Switzerland is just a huge rip off when it comes to fleecing tourists, is that the rooms are tiny, by US standards, We had the family room, about 11ft by 8 ft for 4 people. Hence my opening comment that it is great to be by yourself. However, at 1/3 the price of the average hotel in Grindlewald, if you must visit the town, you will not beat Lehmans. You can walk to both train stations, the Glacier, the falls, the church, and the gondola all from the inn, so you won't need a car once you get here.

It was funky and beat my expectations, but I will not be back to Switzerland. I live in Colorado, and our mountains are more spectacular, our food better, free drinking water with dinner, rather than the EUR8 per bottle because thy won't give you tap in the restaurants, and our cost of living 75% lower than Switzerland. I own and rent to guests a 150 sq meter 3 bedroom condo at Keystone for a week for what I paid for a 10 sq meter room at Lehman's for 3 days! So all you world travelers who have been intoxicated by those pristine pictures of Switzerland, come to Colorado instead. I'll give you some tips on where to go if you email me at wtrav@earthlink.net

And if you go to Lehman's, take your binoculars to watch the climbers on the Eiger!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank LordBowdon
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I had the pleasure of spending 10 days at Lehmanns and can say that it was delightful in every respect. True my room was basic but what I expected for $42.00 per night. The breakfast was excellent and the company(fellow guests) of very high quality. The atmosphere was warm and always friendly. Franzi was so nice and Marco was always good company. Their 2 children added to a very satisfying stay for me.

Douglas Mathieson, Boca Rtaon Fl.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
6 Thank douglasgma
Barcelona
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I spent 6 nights in this hotel and it was an extraordinary experience. My room cost 31€ per night which is incredible considering its location. The views of the Eiger are awesome. The cleanliness is remarkable: they clean the room and change the towels every day. Every little corner of this hotel has a pretty detail. I think it must be the hand of Franzi, the owner. She is so sweet and kind, and always willing to help.

You can use a dining-room for your meals if you want and you can make use of a refrigerator, an electric oven, a microwave oven, all the dishes and silverware. And they wash it all for you! They also provide you with sugar, powder milk, coffe and all kinds of tea bags. Amazing!

My room was all made of wood and it feels so warm and snug. I loved it. Most of the hotel is made of wood. Large windows, balconies and light everywhere.

The breakfast is included in the price and I found it excellent and varied.
You have bars, restaurants, stores, supermarkets and railway station at one step.

It's not a luxury hotel but it's so pretty and cozy that if I return to Grindelwald I will repeat my stay there.

It's true that in winter you can have trouble with the driveway and you should park anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Josepito
Quebec
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed there for 2 days and it was comfortable, quiet and clean. We had a nice balcony and a kitchen for a very reasonable price. Good breakfast plus one morning, we were leaving very early and they made us a lunch to go, Awesome!!!
Well located in the middle of the village. Free parking; as long as you know how to drive… Thank Marco and Franzie.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank backpaking_Jeff
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Reviewed March 4, 2009

This is really what you need if you have a limited budget or want to pay the right price for a decent accommodation. This is my fifth time in Grindelwald (not in this hotel) and also my fifth time with limited budget . This is a peaceful hotel and is located in the central area of Grindelwald you couldn't find best place to stay for this price. Supermarket at 200m, bus stop for skibus 75m, main train station 350m, sport center 200m, Bars and discos at 20m, the best in town. This is a family hotel and if you're looking for hotel for apres ski or party just forget it, after 22h silence is mandatory. If you are with family or friends for sports (ski, hiking, etc...) and like to rest then I recommend this hotel. The rate was 50 Swiss francs (aprox. 35€) per night/person breakfast included, very good price! Don't expect so much services (No TV on the rooms, for me is great !!!). Mountain view from the room, room with balcony, adequate room temperature, clean room (room is cleaned every day). A ski room is available (overnight room for ski and snowboards). Just a negative point if you're going by car and if the road has ice it would difficult to remove the car. But to solve this issue a covered parking place is available in the sport center (200m), I don't remeber the price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank kantakye
Bristol
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I really liked this B & B right in the centre of town next to all the good restaurants and bars. It is basic but with friendly owners who let me use their iron and ironing board in their living room because I was going to a wedding! The breakfast was a bit dissapointing but still, a lot to eat. This place is so cheap and a bargain for the location it is in. Lovely views of the Alps in front of the typical chalet like house.

• Liked — The location & views
  • Disliked — Poor breakfast - small room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends