All reviews outdoor whirlpool an amuse bouche dining times valley floor ceiling light fly swat every hour beautiful hotel the bus fish or vegetarian carte menu junior suite main village town centre free shuttle cow bells comfy bed
Reviewed August 27, 2018

• Hotel location: 4/5
The hotel is located in Grindelwald which is great during winter. It is difficult to drive out during night (unsafe road without lights)

• Design and Atmosphere: 4/5

• Staff Attitude and hospitality: : 1/5
The hotel owner/manager needs to get course in how to deal with customer. He is extremely rode and keep saying I am the boss. This is a family business which can be destroyed with such unprofessional attitude.

• Cleanness and Housekeeping: 5/5
Very clean and lovely hotel

• Service Quality and Response: 3/5
ZERO flexibility

• Room Size, Condition, amenities & quietness: 3/5
We have a small suite yet unfortunately we were assigned the one in the ground. View was EXTREMELY POOR (one side you will see the parking which is full of cars and the other side is a school). I requested to have a great view when I booked the accommodation but I got a car parking view. Basically, I was cheated and It was a non-refundable deal, so I was forced to accept the deal.
Do not ever take the ground floor suite even if you get a discount.

• Bed Convenience: 4/5

• Internet: 4/5

• Food: 3/5
Good variety in the breakfast but very poor dinner. We tried the Burger which was EXTREMELY POOR and smell like a cow!

• Swimming Pool: N/A
Cannot rate because we were asked to be naked to try such pools and Sawna. Thus, we did not try it!

• Price: 3/5
It was extremely expensive due to high season. Price should be better if you visit the location during summer!

• Parking: 3/5
Expensive and tight!

======================
• Overall Impression: 3.5/5
Great hotel, great location and very bad management! I would recommend the management to attend training in hospitality which will help in how to deal with unsatisfied customers. Please work to improve your attitude.
I loved the place and I would love to come back if the attitude is improved. Thank you again.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

We got booked into this hotel because our originally booking at the Boutique Hotel Glacier fell through without us being aware of it until a few days before we travel. I was rather annoyed to start off, despite them telling us that they booked us a junior suite which was more expensive than the suite we booked at the original hotel. Although, immediately upon checking in, that unpleasant feeling went away - this hotel is truly breathtaking: the view, the design, the space.

The view: standing on our balcony, mount Eiger is right in front of you; the dreamy slope (a slope of hill with green grass and pretty Swiss houses) is also right in front of you. There were a few sheep in front of our balcony with cowbells attached to their necks so we slept with the sound of these cowbells which was very soothing (if you are bothered by it, closing your doors and windows will complete insulate the sound).

The design: the room was filled with natural material. Wooden floor, table, stones, fireplace and an armchair with cow fur (maybe not everyone will like this).

The space: we had a junior suite so there was plenty of space. We had a lounge, a dining table, a kitchen, a nice hallway, a bathroom, a balcony and a private terrace with sun beds & an outdoor table and a separate bedroom.

The service: all the guests get free coffee and cakes/pastries in the afternoon; they offer continental breakfast and a nice a-la-carte menu for lunch and dinner( I think you could have a set menu too). The waiter (I didn’t catch his name but he was there for most of our dinners and afternoon tea service) was very friendly and professional: you will always be greeted with a smile.

The slightly downside: 1) the hotel is located up in the hills from Grindelwald town centre (hence the view) so unless you drive, going to town will be either a 30-min walk or you can take the bus which runs only once an hour and finishes before 7pm. 2) for a hotel offering this level of facilities/service, the bathroom amenities was rather basic. The basin was so basic that ladies won’t find a place to put their make-up bags in the bathroom.

Nevertheless, despite the small flaws I’m rating this hotel a 5. It’s simply the best view hotel I have ever stayed in after all these years of travels.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

Aspen is a name of a tree and as the tree is kind of giving fruit, wood and shadow Aspen hotel is very kind of providing good and quality service for its clients. I spent 5 nights in this hotel, the view is marvelous, the staff is very friendly and insists to provide the best to make sure that our stay is enjoyable. For muslim customers the room service provide Halal menu. the hotel located near two of the main activities in Grindelwald (First summit and top europe). Public bus station is just in front of the hotel. The restaurant is not just a town hotel restaurant, it is a stylish and elegant, I think from my experience the chef was working in a 5 stars hotel before. The only negative comment that I could provide is that there is no kettle and coffee in the room.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

The Aspen Alpin hotel is one of my favourite hotels I have visited.
The hotel has the most beautiful view of the Swiss alps and the spa was perfect!!
The room we stayed in was well kept, I hope to revisit in the winter.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2018

We have visited Grindelwald many times in recent years and have always stayed in the village, this year we decided to try the Aspen as it looked great from their photos and also was 4star rating. We had booked a Jnr Suite and were delighted with it, there was a decent sized bedroom, bathroom with separate toilet, and spacious living area with leather seating and good sized flat screen tv. There was also a kitchen area but only the fridge was operational... the rest of the appliances (oven, hob, microwave and dishwasher) were all switched off. We had a small terrace with sun beds etc and wonderful views of the mountains but unfortunately also overlooked a farm and sawmill 20 yards away and also a campsite that was about 50 yards away but very soon extended right up to the front of our terrace in front of the sawmill shed. Very soon after opening the patio doors the other addition to the room was explained....the fly swat! There were literally hundreds of them every time a door was opened! To go anywhere from the hotel you either walk, drive or get the bus which stops right outside the hotel approximately every hour. It’s about 15 minutes drive on the bus into the bus station. Food wise for people on a half board package the evening meal consists of an amuse bouche, followed by a starter, then soup and a choice of main, usually a meat, fish or vegetarian dish and a dessert. There is also an al a carte menu but many of the set menu mains seem to be lifted straight from it. Breakfast is the usual buffet affair and certainly not the best, especially for a 4 star hotel. There is a bar area but it consists of a single booth, although there are outdoor tables and seating at the front of the hotel if you can cope with the flies, especially if you are eating. Staff were fine if a little disinterested, there were only a couple of the staff that were genuinely efficient and friendly and made an effort to interact with guests....I hope they are appreciated by management as they are the stars of this place (next to the mountains of course) and are holding it together. There is a spa of sorts but we did not use it so can’t comment.
Can honestly say we would have left earlier if it wasn’t for the amount of money we would have lost as we had booked a package for a week. I feel the rates they charge are definitely overpriced and there are many other hotels in Grindelwald that have the same views, are much more convenient to all the local transport etc and have a friendlier atmosphere. This place is soulless....won’t be back.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple