Aspen Alpin Lifestyle Hotel Grindelwald
Waldhotel Bellary(Grindelwald)
    Bel Air Eden(Grindelwald)
    Derby Hotel(Grindelwald)
    Great 4.5/5
    All reviewsoutdoor whirlpooldining timesvalley floorhotel catbeautiful hotelbreakfast staffminute drivemezzanine levelwonderful choiceevery hourthe busfly swatteropen fireplacemain villagehotel shuttlejunior suiteperfect base
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed July 1, 2014

The hotel itself is a beautiful building with a backdrop of alpine meadows and the Eiger. Our balcony had a view down the valley, but pretty much anywhere in the hotel has amazing views. The room was clean and modern, as was the bathroom. Other reviewers have commented on unfriendly staff but we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The spa is ultra modern and offers added luxury. We had one dinner in the restaurant and the food was very good and beautifully presented. Breakfast offers a good cold buffet and a limited hot selection. Yes, there are flies, as previous reviewers have mentioned, but this is a problem common to the entire area not just the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a galleried area for extra bed/beds are limited in height and accessed by a ladder so not suitable for young children, in our opinion.
    • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
    Reviewed May 12, 2014

Better for couples or in ski season. Our family (me, wife 7yo girl and 10 yo boy) were really looking forward to our stay for a few days in the Swiss Mountains. The hotel was nice and modern and the view from the rooms great though there was unfortunately not much for our kids to do (in fact nothing) the hotel also is 10 minutes drive from town. Breakfast selection was somewhat limited for what we were expecting. Dinners were good though we would have been better off with full menu rather than room & board package . One big issue was the flies - there were 1,000's of them and they got into your room and food. Being from Australia we are used to flies but it got ridiculous. Spa was adults only so again no swimming for kids. Would be an awesome place to stay in snow season - which I guess is their main business.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view
    • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
    2  Thank FamilyGuy2000
    Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have just come back from a weekend in Grindelwald with my girlfriend. We love the area and we even came back to the same hotel where we stayed last time.

The hotel has been fully renovated a couple of years ago. Rooms are very modern and decorated with great taste. In both out stays we had a balcony with very nice mountain view. I hated the pillows, very flat ones, but I guess it depends on your own taste.
    It is located a bit away of the town, so you have to be patient if you want to use the public transport (there is a bus every hour, line 3).
    Nevertheless, all that would not be an issue for us. Our main complain is, as I read from other reviews, the behaviour of the staff in the hotel. Apart from the owner, who picked us up in the train station and showed interest in helping us with our weekend, we didn't see any help/interest from the lady in the reception. We kindly asked her to give us some advice about hiking routes as weather was not looking so great and we didn't want to risk it...she sent us to the Jungfraujoch, where walking is simply not possible! It was obviously our mistake: we trusted her and we didn't double check, so we ended up spending 200CHF for nothing, as we couldn't even enjoy the view...It is simply unbeliveable that a mountain hotel can't give tourists any advice on where to go for a hike...

Even worse than that is the way that most members of the staff treat the guests: they are all very unfriendly and do not seemed interested on satisfying anybody. During our dinner I was asked several times if everything was fine. The answer they expect is "yes, sure, very good, thanks". Food was fine, average, nothing to complain about, but it just happened that had a glass of wine which turned out being disgusting. I tried it once, then my girlfriend, and we both thought that it probably had gone bad...it can happen. So for the first time in my life, I asked the waitress to replace it (one glass, not a bottle!) and, after 5 minutes, she came back with the bottle saying that they had tried it and it was good! Very odd and embarrasing situation that could have been avoided by simply bringing another 1 dl glass!! What about this thing of "the customer is always right"?
    Honestly, in any place, no matter the price, I would have got another glass of wine without more questions. In a hotel where I paid 300 CHF per night, I would expect to get my 1 dl glass replaced if I (and my girlfriend!) thought that the wine was bad. They didn't do it and they even charged me 8chf for a glass of wine I never had.

Great deal for them: I will never come back and my girlfriend will not book the stay she got in mind for her parents.

Other things that I disliked: the amount of flies is disgusting, especially in the breakfast area. Toileteries were not replaced at all after being used (in a 300 CHF room...). The spa was not quiet at all, people were laughing and shouting; my girlfriend booked a massage (110 CHF for 50 minutes massage) and she thought it was the worst massage she ever had...the girl seemed to be very tired and not putting much interest on it. We went for breakfast on Sunday at 10am and we basically ate the leftovers. Both nights they soups I had as starter for dinner were cold.

I won't come back. The area is full of nice hotels where you will feel welcome and where Swiss people will be willing to help you enjoy their beautiful mountains.

Room Tip: the rooms with balcony facing the main entrance are literally in front of a farm with piles of cow poo, which in hot days might smell very bad.
    • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
    6  Thank Rubo82
    Reviewed March 21, 2014

I spend one week skiing pretty much every year in the Alps, sometimes I'm lucky enough to tag on a second week in the USA or Japan. All regions offer some pretty amazing skiing but when it comes to scenery, nothing beats Switzerland, very few resorts beat Grindelwald (it was my first time here) and even fewer hotels can compete with the Aspen alpin lifestyle hotel. In terms of location, the hotel is absolutely ideal, located directly on the slopes but with easy access to the village of Grindelwald. Thus, for ski in and ski out fans, this is your hotel! The property is modern, extremely well-maintained with great facilities and friendly staff. About the staff... There are a few comments on TA stating that the staff "wasn't very friendly". I wholeheartedly disagree. From arrival to departure they were absolutely wonderful and accommodating. Yes, sure, there are times when they are a bit more rushed, so timing is everything. Don't ask the waitress in the middle of breakfast service to book you a table for dinner down in the village. She's hustling to serve hot coffee and fresh croissants to the skiers who want to hit the slopes. Some common sense and courtesy will get you a long way. They even kept the spa open an extra hour for us on many occasions, mostly because I think we asked them nicely. The rooms are great, modern, impeccably clean and bright. Loved everything about the hotel and so did my five travel companions, all of them well-traveled and accustomed to nice accommodations. Go and spend one of your best ski vacations at this lovely hotel!

Room Tip: If you like a view of the ski slopes and morning sun, ask for a room facing the front of the hotel. Ours was facing west and had great views of the Eiger North Face, with amazing evening sunlight until late. It's all a matter of preference. I always prefer upper floors, but it does mean taking the elevator or the stairs. (Which, by the way, are wide and carpeted, so no issue at all).
    • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
    2  Thank Roman K
    Reviewed March 13, 2014

Great location great accommodation great facilities and as for the food absolutely brilliant. Well done you guys this a must for any 4star traveller who is looking for a break in the alps. Would we come again? ITS ALREADY BOOKED!!

Room Tip: They are all good
    • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends