“Highly recommended”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Cabana
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We booked our 4 nights at the Hotel Cabana based on the TA reviews, and were not disappointed - we had a wonderful stay in this delightful hotel. The hotel is a few minutes walk from the town centre, so within easy reach of the train station, supermarket, and all facilities. The hotel sits on the side of a hill, with the valley falling away beneath, so you have beautiful unobstructed views. Frau Bohren and her staff are great, always friendly and willing to assist with any queries, the place was spotlessly clean and very quiet. We stayed in the junior suite, which had everything we needed - dining area, sitting area, small kitchen, full bathroom and a lovely comfortable bed - as well as a big sunny balcony where we spent plenty of time relaxing and gazing out at the astounding views of the Eiger! The hotel's breakfast room was small but cheerful and offered a good selection of cereals, fruits, juices, breads, cold meats, cheeses, yoghurts etc - my husband fell in love with the Bircher muesli and had it every morning!
We had gorgeous weather during our visit to Grindelwald - we even got sunburnt after hiking down from First. Grindelwald is a lovely place, with plenty of walking trails, easy access to the train to Jungfraujoch (we purchased our tickets at the Hotel Cabana reception desk) and our stay also entitled us to the Grindelwald "Guest Card" which, amongst other things, gave us access to the indoor pool at the Sports & Recreation Centre. This is a fantastic facility, we were the only ones there using the pool at the time and the lifeguard raised the blinds at the far end of the pool to reveal floor-to-ceiling windows with staggering views of the mountains and glaciers outside - amazing! I've never seen an indoor pool with views like that!
As this was our first visit to Switzerland (and in fact, to Europe), staying in the mountains was something we had looked forward to so much and had our fingers crossed that we had picked the right place - needless to say, we were extremely happy with the Hotel Cabana and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Grindelwald. Frau Bohren even kindly gave us and our luggage a lift up to the train station on our final morning, a very nice touch and much appreciated.
We hope to return to Grindelwald for a longer stay in the future, and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jurahn

Reviewed July 17, 2010

I chose this B&B after reading reviews on tripadvisor and wasn't dissapointed. We stayed for two nights and chose Grindelwlad instead of Interlaken and am glad to have done so. The views form our suite were stunning we could not get enough of it. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was good. On the last day I came down with an ear ache after going to Jungfrau and the lady at the reception helped me get an appointment with the local doctor and gave me a map with directions to the doctor. There were toys for kids in the corridor, a small playground outside and the place was imaaculately clean. Nothing to complain about really. Parking was free in the hotel and was a five min. drive to the train station ( walkable as well).

The suite was perfect for family with kids, and had enough things for me to cook small meals for my toddler ( Microwave, cooking gas, tea and coffee maker, cutlery, pots pans,seating for upto four etc.) everything was provided for.

We would love to return here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mwkGeneva
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We had such a great stay at the Hotel Cabana! The hosts were so friendly and accommodating. We have a toddler, and although she was occasionally a bit loud and a little messy at breakfast, no one treated us any differently! We were greeted at the train station and given a ride to the hotel as well as given a ride back to the station on our departure. That was a nice bonus! For the rest of our stay, we enjoyed the quick a ten-minute walk to village/train station. About half-way to town (a 5 min walk from the hotel) are a bakery and a gourmet food shop (cheese, wine, meats, etc.). We went to both shops a couple of times and had delicious meals and snacks back at the hotel. We stayed in a junior suite on the top floor of the hotel. It was a good size with a huge balcony that had the most incredible view of the Eiger and surrounding mountains. We just couldn't get enough of the view. It was breathtaking. The room was very comfortable and had a nice big bathroom and kitchenette. Our daughter was very happy running around the large room! The WiFi worked well in the room. The breakfast each morning was delicious and plentiful -- eggs, muesli, yogurt, bread, croissants, juice, fruit, coffee, etc. My husband and I each had one of the most memorable ski days of our lives in the Jungfrau region, and we took the train to Jungfraujoch (the "top of europe") - feel free to email me through TA if you want to know more about that.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MASSCO
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Excellent hotel with
- amazing views of the alps and the village
- cordial and helpful staff
- sumptuous breakfast.

Loved it

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ram31
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, I booked a room in January 2010 from Sunday to Friday with a mid week rate.
The weather was acceptable when I arrived, I told the owner we did not want to use the garage. She "grumbled" (because putting your car inside costs extra money), but it was fine with her.
The hotel is located at some 5-10 minutes walk from the center of Grindelwald and the acces to the ski slopes, which was fine with us.
The rooms were spacious. The wifi network was fair. A minor point is the temperature in the room. You need to remove the bed sofa in order to access the heating button, a bit unpleasant in the middle of the night when my room was not too warm.
There are some minor points, the owner seems to be a very calculated person. Some examples:
- there's a huge paper on the minifridge in the room that it is strictly forbidden to put personal things in it. Not even an apple. :(
- There's a very small sauna in the hotel. If you would like to drink a glass of water coming out of the sauna, you need to pay 3 swiss frank for it (2 us dollar) !

I booked initially for 5 nights but announced that I wanted to leave after 4 days. The owner became very angry and unfriendly and told us that I needed to pay a no show fee (although we announced it a day in advance). I told her that this is very uncommon and she stated that it was written in the Terms and Conditions and that the rule of the house is that one needs to pay 70% in case you shorten your stay.
The hotel was not full (it was not high season) , it was mid week therefore I asked her to review her opinion and she answered me in a very unfriendly way: " What would you say if I kick you out of your room one day in advance". I have paid my bill, but decided never to come back to this hotel. This lady is only interested in your money
The owner proved to be a very unfriendly person who's just interested in your money

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank SooLux
Reviewed December 29, 2009

We chose this hotel after reading about it here on tripadvisor and are happy to confirm what others reported. The hotel is well located, albeit on a steep road that connects the centre of town to the valley where the train or the gondola leaves from. The hotel organised a taxi to collect us from the station free of charge on our arrival which helped as we traveled with a one year old.

The room was comfortable and clean with a great view of the (world famous) Eiger North Face. WiFi worked in our room. The extras were very welcome (e.g. coffee and the ability to boil water in the room.) Staff very friendly. Breakfast was good (Swiss muesli excellent). Sauna is free to use in the evening.

We ate out every evening. It involved a pleasant walk up the hill to the centre of town. Many restaurants to choose from, including quite a few who were happy to accommodate our pram.

I went snowboarding every day. This involved walking about 100 meters or so to the nearest bus stop - from where I caught the free bus to the valley. In the valley I either chose the train to Kleine Scheidegg or the gondola to Mannlichen, depending on which area I wanted to ride.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank arthur_alston
Reviewed September 4, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in August, 2009 and we had a fantastic experience. I'm sure there are lots of good hotels in Grindelwald, but from what I could see, no hotel there offers a better overall experience. The family that owns and runs the hotel are extremely nice and went out of their way to help us with whatever we needed. Breakfast each morning was really good and if you want to pig out like we did, there was enough good food to keep you full most of the day. We could stuff ourselves at breakfast, go hiking all day, and not need to eat again until dinner. Unlike most other hotels in the area, your room includes free WiFi. Although the signal wasn't always super strong in our room, we could always use it to make clear calls home on Skype. The best part of the hotel, however, are the unobstructed views of the Eiger right out the window. It's well worth upgrading to the Junior Suite just for the views. The upgrade also paid for itself in our case because the junior suite includes a well-furnished kitchen. We made one trip to the grocery store and ate all our our dinners in the hotel room for less than the cost of one entree at the nearby restaurants. Plus we had a better view. If the Cabana has one downside, it's the fact that it's a little further away from downtown and the train station than some other hotels (this is partly why your view is so good - no other hotels in the way), but's still a just a short easy walk. Besides, most people go to Switzerland at least partly for the hiking, so a little walking isn't an issue.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple