“Excellent value, friendly service, great view”

Alpenblick Hotel Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Champery, Switzerland
“Excellent value, friendly service, great view”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Alpenblick is one of the more affordable hotels in Grindelwald in my experience (I come for long weekends a couple of times per year) - in part because it is a bit out of the center of town. The proprietors and staff are very friendly, the atmosphere welcoming and comfortable, and the price is right! If you're worried about the location, don't be - it isn't that far to the center (perhaps 10 minutes walk, which is pleasant) and you can take a frequent bus back and forth if you'd rather not walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Eiger.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The location of this hotel is absolutely astounding. When we arrived at the hotel we were really pleased.

The hotel is about half kilometre outside wonderful but slightly busy Grindelwald town.
This hotel is located in a quite location with wonderful mountain and glacier backdrop which we loved. Every morning we were able to see the wonderful mountain valley through our bedroom window. They also have lovely patio area for sitting outside for meal and drinks. The view from the patio is like picture postcard.

This not a big hotel and our double room was just about ok and nothing special except the view from the window. They also provide free wifi but the signal strength wasn’t strong enough from our bedroom. I had to use the hotel lobby to use wifi.

They provide lovely plentiful breakfast. The hotel restaurant also provides good meal at night. Please remember Swiss bars & restaurants are in general very expansive. This hotel restaurant is probably slightly good value.

The hotel staffs are in general good, friendly and helpful. But don’t ask them Jungfraujoch weather forecast if you wish to visit Jungfraujoch top. We asked and they gave wrong information. We almost missed our Jungfraujoch visit. For Jungfraujoch weather visit Grindelwald railway station or the local information centre who will show you webcam pictures. They also have more accurate information for daily weather forecast.
Jungfraujoch top is at higher altitude and the weather may be vastly different from local weather. When we went it was cloudy at Grindelwald but lovely and sunny at Jungfraujoch top.

Overall – we loved this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view room and you will not regret.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sidwhite
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was with my two little kids staying at hotel Alpenblick on September. The hotel is budget hotel but for the price I think we got good value for our money. The hotel is located outside the center of the village but you could easily get to Grindelwald within 10 minutes. The room was not very modern but clean. The breakfast was good, selection was enough to choose from. It is always a big plus if the staff is friendly and here they were very friendly and helpful. I have to mention that the view from the room was fantastic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank aikamatkailija
Naples, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The good:
Good location walking distance from town
Good restaurant with traditional swiss fare
Reasonable prices
Decent hospitality
Excellent cleanliness
Amazing view

The bad:
The beds were not comfortable, very thin mattresses...They didn't use sheets, rather used comforters with washable sheet covers.
Noisy...unfortunately we were only able to book a room with shared bath so we heard people getting up and walking in the halls during the night. Our room was on the 2nd floor over the kitchen so every morning at 5AM we could hear pots and pans clanging- not tranquil at all. The worst part of the experience was the smoke...There is a bar that allows smoking indoors below some of the rooms and I was pretty sure some of the staff or cooks were smoking in it, causing cigarette smoke to rise through the floor- ughh.

The rooms with private bath are on the third floor and probably don't have any of the issues I described.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alex G
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Had a great stay at Alpenblick. I stayed in the dorm rooms. For $37USD, you will not find a better value. We did not eat dinner there, but we did enjoy the breakfast, included with the room cost. Everything a traveler needs: good cheese,meats, hardboiled eggs, cereal, coffee, tea, OJ, toaster, REAL butter, jellies of all varieties... Can't beat it. Couple VERY SMALL points that I thought would be helpful to other travelers...Bring your own soap, don't count on finding a large number of open electrical outlets, and the estimate of a 10 minute walk to the station is very aggressive. If you have a suitcase, allow 20 minute from station to hotel, 15 minutes from hotel to station.. The view is unbelievable, hosts were fantastic.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Matt F
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My rate of this cozy hotel is very good!
Location is not bad, 10 minutes from the train station along the main street with shops and restaurants… The room with two beds is clean with running water. Shower and rest room are sheared, but exceptionally clean, comfortable. Shower has a high water pressure. Cold water is truly cold; hot is hot. The main treasure of the hotel is the hospitality. I had a very early start and could not attend breakfast but they prepare coffee with toasts and juice, which I gladly handle with before going to bed.
It is important to mention that I am not a fastidious traveler and booked a bed in dormitory but, on a curious reason, they provided me with a separate room! I was lucky and happy drinking coffee with toasts in a room alone!
Thank you ALPENBLICK!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2013

As one can tell from my many reviews, I travel a lot...especially in Europe. I can honestly say that I have never encountered better value for my money or more gracious, informative and fun hosts than the Hotel Alpenblick. The hotel has private rooms available, but I opted for shared accommodations for the first time in my travels. I was not let down. In typical Swiss tradition, the shared facilities are absolutely immaculate and for 30-some Swiss Francs a night you couldn't find better value anywhere. Not only are the beds comfortable, the bathrooms spotless and the wifi signal strong, they throw in breakfast for no additional charge. The incredible value is reason enough to stay. But the real bonus is the hosts. Juerg, his father John, Bernadette and the other staff are happy to help you make the most of your trip to this stunning part of the world. They booked para-gliding trips, provided maps, suggested hiking trails, looked up train times for me...they were awesome and if you are unfamiliar with this area - it pays in spades to have hosts that are this helpful. And fun. I will be return to this hotel for sure....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo