“Brilliant service”

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
portsmouth
“Brilliant service”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and i have just come back from a holiday in Grindelwald Switzerland . We had been before two years ago and stayed at the fitness hotel Eiger . I gingerly booked the same hotel knowing that if you go back sometimes it is never the same . I am so impressed with the way the service has improved and nothing was too much trouble at all ,directions. heating . ironing board and plug adaptors all there all given with a smile . Every day the food was so special with multiple options .
We had a corner room this year and although it didnt have a balcony it was very spacious with a scrumptious bathroom.
Big thank you to all the staff from the maids upwards ,service this good needs to be applauded

Room Tip: corner room was very spacious with the advantage of a bed settee if required
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The room was wonderfully clean and comfy. The in-house restaurant served lovely food and everyone in the place were friendly and helpful.

There is a separate smoking room where you can buy cigars as well. You can order from the restaurant, if you want your food spoiled by smoke ;-)

There was Swiss live music in the restaurant in the evening - an absolute joy.

During the summer, there are lots of local events. The night we were there, the whole street was closed off and there were jugglers and food stands and several shops stayed open late.

Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

We are a family of 4 and we stayed in one of their apartments up the hill. Loved the town, staff and the apartment. We had the view of majestic Eiger mountain from our balcony. Breakfast was really nice with a huge spread of hot and cold items. The apartment itself was ok, kind of dated. Bed and pillows were terrible, bathroom quite big, but looks quite old, shower is not that great. No microwave in kitchen, not sure if this is Swiss standard. Staff was very helpful. Very spacious for families, would love to stay if they spruce up the bathroom. Washer and dryer didn't work.

Stayed August 2012
2 Thank kush_1996
Idaho, USA
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel is in a nice location on the main street. It has a beautiful loby and the staff seems nice. We expected a view of the alps, but instead got a view of the alley (very noisy at night). They called it a family suite, but it was the same size as a regular room with a bunck bed added - not what we expected for the price. The bathroom was large, although no place to do hair and makeup outside the bathroom with 4 people staying in the room.

I didn't try the exercise room, but it looked like they had very nice equipment.

The breakfast was wonderful. They had yummy rolls, meat, cheese, eggs, cereal, yogurt, etc. Everything was fresh and good.

The internet was free but very spotty.

The room was warm, so we had to keep them open to cool down the room. Unfortunately this caused the room to be very noisy.

Room Tip: avoid one with windows on the alley.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Started of fairly well, the service was good and it seemed like they were very focused on their service but some staff are very juniors. But things only got worse from there on!
The rooms are very dated and not very large, for the price we paid and compared to other hotels in the village it was a bit of a let down.

Things went bad to worse when I spend most of the night fighting a rash, it was only in the early hours I could see and realized it was bed bugs (see photos).

My hand and body has a lot of bite and I hadn’t had more than an hour sleep the night before. I went to the reception and showed them the photos I took and the bites, they didn’t seem overly apologetic or concerned, they asked a cleaner to go to my room, luckily I had caught one of the bugs in in a jar and they could see it was bed bugs, otherwise they would have probably denied it.
Was told the room would be cleaned again. Luckily by the afternoon a more senior manager come on site and offered a change of room for the “incident” in the morning.

At checkout I did tell them it wasn’t a very good stay and all they could say was that they never had it before and they were sorry. Which didn’t really help me much, a decent hotel would have probably offered a refund for the first night.

They are trying hard on the service and did the little things well, but I think they are forgetting the fundamentals, nice clean rooms and ad good nights sleep!

10 Thank Mas_The_Traveler
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I'm not writing this review because we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, our well-appointed apartment, our amazing view and the fabulous breakfasts. I'm writing this because of the first class service we received AFTER our stay. Our son had left an electronic device (his DS player) in a desk in the loft, so we called after we left to see if someone had found it. Melanie was a great help. She contacted the person who cleaned the room, they went back to look for it, called me to confirm they found it, packaged it up and mailed it to my home address, fully intact. We received it within a week and a half with a nice note attached. A big thanks to Melanie and anyone else who helped out.
I would recommend this hotel to the pickiest person I know! Thanks for a wonderful, Grindelwald experience!!

Room Tip: We chose Rm 606. It had everything a family needs in the kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms.
Maryland, USA
Reviewed August 1, 2012

After an exhaustive series of emails regarding room sizes and amenities, my wife and I decided to reserve a junior suite. In the course of these emails, I made certain that the junior suites had a regular "hanging stand under shower". (this is one of the things I am very picky about,,,I hate hand held showers). When we checked into the room, we were dismayed to see that the bathroom only had a large tub with a hand held shower...no place to hang the shower and no curtain or other barrier to keep the shower spray contained. Since we were staying for several days we decided to change to a "lifestyle" room with a regular shower.

The junior suite was large but had not been renovated. The furnishing and decor were dated but in generally ok condition.

The lifestyle room had been renovated but was still somewhat spartan, poorly designed and smaller than we would have liked. The clothes storage space was limited and was located right next to the bed. (making it very difficult to gain access to this space). The king bed was two separate twin beds placed along side each other. The mattresses were old, lumpy and not comfortable. The lighting was poor causing the room to be dark and dreary. The room was not air conditioned. There was often only one person manning reception which led to long waits for service. Also, surprisingly, reception was unmanned from 10 pm until 7:00 am

On the plus side, we enjoyed a nice private balcony with a breathtaking view of the Eiger, the breakfast service and quality were exceptional and the shower water pressure was very strong. Memories bar/restaurant on the first floor offered quality food and good service at reasonable prices. The central location of the hotel was convenient.

We will be returning to Grindewald but will not return to the Eiger. One afternoon I looked at several other hotels and was very impressed with the Sunstar . Their superior double rooms were new, modern, well-furnished and much larger than the "lifestyle" rooms. All rooms in this category had great views of the Eiger. Plus all their rooms had standard hanging showers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple