All reviews swiss restaurant shuttle service shuttle bus the hotel staff very nice hotel breathtaking views private balcony wellness area fantastic location hiking trails excellent breakfast jungfrau region a wonderful stay cable car fondue bread apartment
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

To my chagrin, my experience at the hotel Kirchbühl Superior Grindelwald is negative, and the reason for this is the outright rudeness, familiarity and aggression of the hotel administration. But first things first.

I booked the above hotel at the beginning of January for a family vacation (husband, me, child 1.5 years old and a small dog). When booking the hotel, I was guided by the positive reviews about the hotel at booking.com.

My family and I arrived in Grindelwald in the evening at about 5 p.m. Moving from Girona by car was quite tedious - about 10 hours on the road.

Upon arrival at the hotel, check-in was quick, the girl at the reception made a pleasant impression on me and husband.

The room given to us by the hotel was comfortable and clean, with fairly modern furniture and amazing views of the mountains.

After checking into the hotel, my family and I went to dinner at the hotel restaurant. I can say about the restaurant that the restaurant employees were polite, the dishes were delicious, the cuisine was quite varied, but not cheap (a regular dinner - spaghetti bolognese for a child, bestroganoff, vegetable soup and beef steak, with a bottle of wine, it cost us 200 euros).

However, there is one “but.” As it turned out later, in a restaurant, children should not leave the tables, watch cartoons on a tablet or phone. These actions may not interfere with the guests of the restaurant, but for the hotel administration, in the person of the hotel manager, such activity of children is unacceptable.

!!!! Everything would be fine, but the hotel manager spoiled the positive impression of the hotel and, as it turned out later, its owner.

So, after dinner, my husband and baby (1.5 years old) went to the fireplace in the hotel lounge on the ground floor.

Near the idle fireplace, there was a small plate with decorative ikea stones, representing absolutely no material value.

During the game in the recreation area, my child grabbed one of the stones (the plate was located very low, in a place accessible to a one-year-old child) and ran to my husband.

My husband saw this and went up to the child himself to pick up the stone and put it back in the decorative plate.

!!! But at that moment, the hotel manager began to talk with my husband in an aggressive manner, indicating that the child has no right to take stones from the plate and that if he took them, he should hit the baby on the arm.

After a short conversation with the director, my husband noted that raising a child is the responsibility of the parents and we will choose the appropriate method of upbringing for our child and retired to our room with the child. I did not take part in their discussion and all this time I continued to be in the recreation area.

!!! However, after a couple of minutes, the director of the hotel ran up to me and in high tones began to explain to me that I, with my child and husband, should immediately leave the hotel. At my request to speak with me respectfully and my remark about the insignificance of the incident (we did not break anything, did not commit an offense), as well as the fact that our stay at the hotel was fully paid, the hotel director began to be rude and yell in an open form, saying that he is the owner of the hotel, and my family and I must leave the hotel at 10 pm and he will return the money to us.

Considering the actions of the hotel manager illegal, I asked for a complaint book at the reception. It was refused to provide me, while the director indicated that he is the owner of the hotel and we can write a complaint to him by e-mail. My husband and I were shocked by the absurdity and called the police.

It should be noted that before the arrival of the police, the director of the hotel continued to be rude to us in an open form, instructing us to go to bed and leave the hotel immediately in the morning.

Unfortunately, the police who arrived didn’t help us, because, as they explained, everything that happened was not the responsibility of the police.

Given the events, as well as the director’s assurances of a refund for the remaining 4 days, my husband and I decided to leave the hotel in the morning, since being in it, with such an attitude towards hotel guests, is unpleasant and impossible.

I do not know how it is customary in Switzerland, but in my opinion the actions of the director of the hotel are inadequate.

After all, the leader should never fall to the level of aggression and rudeness, and one of his preventive goals should be avoiding the conflict and resolving it.

The fact that the director of the hotel is its owner, in my opinion, does not allow the director to neglect the guests of the hotel.

In addition, the director of the hotel should take into account that the hotel is open for family vacations, which implies that the hotel has a situation that excludes the possibility for children to have access to objects that, in the opinion of the hotel’s administration, are dangerous (burning candles on a low table) or current contact of children with which not personally acceptable for administration.

There is a reason for the director to reflect on the fact that, based on his actions, tourists have an impression of the country (after all, this is not only nature, but also people).

P. S. Dear hotel director, I hope you keep your promise and my husband and I will refund the money for the remaining 4 days of rest at your hotel, since you have no desire to stay. Bottom line, I do not recommend the hotel for families with children, since it is obvious to me that the children in this hotel cause obvious irritation to the administration.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled with family
christian_kirchbuehl, Inhaber at Hotel Kirchbuehl, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your point of view. Already in our Gourmet Restaurant the situation with your attitudes (Video watching very loud, child running around) was not easy for the other guests and our staff. Your Child was throwing the stones to the wooden floor continuously (also other guest were in the lobby) and I only told your husband to have your child under control. His reaction was very aggressive and it seemed for me, that he had his emotions not under control. For me it was not able to talk to you, because you only speak Russian and Spanish, which I don't speak. There were always guest and staff around us and it isn't true that i was aggressive or rude. I only don't accept everything in my own hotel and we are expecting from our guest, that they act as guests. And we don't know what a complain book is neither we have one?? It was the first time that we had to call the Police to solve a situation like with you. All the other guest were very concerned about your loud shouting around in front of the front desk and the aggressive signs of your husband, showing me his fist !!!. That's why I asked you to go up to your room until the police will show up. And by the way, we didn't charge your credit card in advance, so we not even have to give you money back..
And the truth is, that we asked you to leave our hotel after one night and not the other way round, also to protect the other guests and our staff. May be you should think about your attitudes. We are a familial (run) and owned hotel which is not accepting everything from the guests. We have a lot o families with childern since years in our company as guests.Christian Brawand.

Reviewed January 9, 2020

Service great, cost excellent, location excellent and the transportation services, any time the staff attended any doubt, question and support , in the case of chrismas dinner, was great , and the activities for chrismas has been excellent.

Date of stay: December 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

Upon arrival the staff were friendly with a warm check in and the hotel was located nicely out the city with a beautiful view... But with no assistance for getting 8 days worth of luggage and two dogs to the room, this made check in experience a little unpleasant. The double rooms are a little small with not enough cupboard space.

We found all the staff friendly, the owners could have been more warm to guests that they don’t know from previous years. The three dinner options are nice to have in the hotel and the food served at breakfast and dinner was delicious.

A dog friendly hotel is great and upon arrival having some snacks and bowls for the dogs was a pleasant surprise however being charged per dog per day and then the room not being cleaned properly (no vacuum or washing of floors) and mini bar top ups being left outside the door is not acceptable. (The two little daschunds are for sure not scary)... However the one housekeep lady was very sweet and friendly with the two of them...

Some of the marketing items used on the website are a bit misleading such as free mini bar as there is limited options (water, orange juice and apfelschorle) and not stocked completely every day if only half a bottle of the drink was used and also there is no longer a whirlpool even though website, daily post and room guides still say there is.

The wellness area was clean and modern but definitely not made for accommodating peek periods and only open for 4 hours in the afternoon otherwise additional costs. A morning relaxation in the sauna could also be nice.

Overall easy access into the city via walking or bus and option for shuttle service of the hotel makes getting around much easier...

All in all, an ok stay with beautiful landscape and friendly staff but in our opinion not at 4-star quality and therefore slightly overpriced compared to what we received...

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2019

Great Hotel!
Rooms are very clean and cozy. The views are spectacular and it is within walking distance to restaurants and cable car. 100% recommend this hotel if you want the full Grindelwald experience.

Date of stay: October 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2019

I had no idea how amazing of a location this hotel had when booking the hotel but I was pleasantly surprised when showed up! We had a great view of one of the glaciers. Staff was very friendly. Room was great! Food was delicious. Highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Grindewald!!

Date of stay: October 2019