“Marvelous Stay!”
Review of Hotel Kirchbuehl

Hotel Kirchbuehl
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Thanks to Railbookers, who arranged our rail transit in Italy and Switzerland, along with lodging accommodations, my family and I utterly enjoyed our recent stay at Hotel Kirchbuehl in Grindelwald. As a previous reviewer commented, “Fantastic location, glorious views”. For us, this part of the country was simply breathtaking, surrounded by fresh cool air and snow-capped peaks. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, even showing us where we could wash our own clothes at a minimal cost as compared to the hotel’s laundry services. The hotel’s complimentary breakfast provided a hearty start for our excursions, and their dinner cuisine was outstanding. I was introduced to Grindelwald’s nussbrot (nut bread) at dinner at Kirchbuehl and fell in love with it. Wi-Fi was complimentary. And our beds were so comfortable! Those beds provided a welcome sanctuary after a long day of catching the aerial gondola to First at over the 7,000 ft. elevation, hiking an hour to Lake Bachalpsee and back, zip-lining a half-mile down to Schreckfeld via the First Flyer, riding the gondola down to Bort, and trekked down the rest of the way to Grindelwald amidst gorgeous vistas. It’s funny that a lot of friends commented on our tans when we returned home to Hawaii; a result from getting sunburnt while hiking around Grindelwald. Some reviewers have remarked that Grindelwald is very touristy and recommended other areas in Switzerland, but for us first-timers, it proved a perfect introduction to the country’s beauty and its people. Note: Switzerland is expensive; so come prepared to pay (cheerfully) or make alternate plans, such as purchasing meats, cheeses and breads in town versus dining at restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank ZayneZ

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We had for the most part an excellent stay at the Kirchbuehl with one exception.
The staff were very friendly, the rooms were clean and the food was excellent.
The one exception was a very rude server who insisted he make me my next Mojito because the young lady that made it for me the previous day didn't do it right. In fact the previous drink was fantastic and is exactly how I have had them served many times, in many locations around the globe. When I received the drink, I couldn't even drink it it was so bad. It had single leaf of mint a bit of lime and a horrid tasting rum (I think it was rum?) I asked the waiter in a nice way to either make me a new one just like I had received the previous day or possibly something else. He became very agitated and implied that I had no idea what a Mojito is and that this was the official recipe from the Swiss bartenders manual. I did not make scene whatsoever but somehow I wounded his very fragile ego. From that point onward he was very curt and avoided serving us during the remainder of our stay. One can only imagine how this guy must work with the rest of the other staff!
In a nutshell, a great stay but avoid the shaved head waiter!

Room Tip: A mountain facing room is best.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FunkyRiddim
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel Kirchbuehl during our 4 day visit to Grindelwald. We stayed in a three-room apartment (Cervin) and we had a lovely time.

The apartment is spacious, lovely view, from the balcony, and very clean. The kitchen is well equipped for family dinners and there is no big list of do's and don'ts (which is a relief). The location is great, if you don't mind walling around a bit, up and down the slopes. Service is good. But the staff is hospitable and friendly. The restaurant offers varied cuisine, including Asian and vegetarian. Try out the saffron risotto with sun dried tomatoes. Excellent!

The only con is that it feels a bit pricey.. Especially since you pay extra for Wi-fi and even for fresh towels.

All in all - we had a great time and the apartment itself

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We stayed here for three nights during a two week visit to Switzerland and looking forward to it as on researching it appeared to be the best of the three hotels we were staying in, it wasn't!
It would have helped if we had been Swiss, German or Dutch.
The biggest ommission was the lack of tea/coffee making facilities and not being told there was room service until we were checking out.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bcf_lynch
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The bath and toilet are separate, which can be great for a small family; one for dad to use while mommy bathes the kids etc. The room is spacious, my son could dance in it (at night, after hours of sledging and hiking, sigh….). The people that work at the hotel are lovely and helpful. Even the dog is super friendly. My then five turning six-year-old son has a crush on one of the waitresses, and he loves the dog, Kira. He wanted to bring the waitress and Kira home.

Great desserts, hot chocolate and coffee, but that is to be expected in Switzerland. You can have them in your room or by the common sitting area by the fireplace.

Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ana R
Reviewed February 22, 2014

stayed here for 5 nights with my family ( 2 children )
my review is that the hotel need to improve the service ( the staff), this is to me a 3star not a 4 star. we had 2 rooms one is renewed but not the other one….
at the reception there were nice people when we came and left… service minded
at the breakfast not…. the people there were unhappy and did not like what they were doing

at the bar/restaurant there were 2 men…. one namedTracey was great… excellent waiter but the other men ( did not remember his name) should do something else with his time then serving people in my opinion

we had dinner one night and the food was very good

Need to step up a little bit ….. this is to expensive compare ( two other families/friends stayed at 3star hotel and they payed much less… but the rooms and etc where very good.

Will choose another hotel next time in Grindelwald

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank lukka998
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We spent Christmas here and the warmth we received from all the staff was beyond words. Everyone takes a lot of effort to ensure you have a fantastic holiday. The meals are in abundance and the menu is fantastic. A very comfortable, enjoyable and memorable 5days!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple