“Chalet on the slope”

Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Cheshire, England
“Chalet on the slope”
Reviewed September 10, 2005

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Bodmi for four nights in July 2005 as part of a motoring holiday. We booked a north facing room on half board through the Inghams holiday company. This is a small wooden chalet type hotel situated in a quiet location on the slope above Grindelwald - views to the south are stunning, looking towards the North face of the Eiger (rooms facing the south are available at extra cost). The staff were welcoming and the food was good. Although most of the restaurant is no smoking the smoke does drift in from the adjacent smoking areas and bar - a disadvantage if you have a preference for taste rather than tobacco.
We felt this to be a good holiday location, especially if you have a car and don't have to rely on the infrequent bus service to get you down into the town.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank Scenic06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Overland Park, KS
Reviewed July 1, 2004

In June of 2003 my wife and I spent a week at Hotel Bodmi. We had researched this hotel but did not make a reservation in advance. We just put it at the top of our list to stay at if we made it to Grindelwald. Upon our departure from Appenzell, we asked the information service in Appenzell to secure us a room at Hotel Bodmi if one were available. Luckly, there was. We were so impressed with Hotel Bodmi, we knew we would return on our next trip. In June of 2004 we returned for a two week stay. Hotel Bodmi is without a doubt one of the nicest palces we have stayed in Switzerland. Kurt and Elisabeth, the owners, are the most gracious hosts. The chef prepares the most delicious food, and the staff really makes an effort to get to know the customers. The quality of the hotel and the concerns the owners have for quality are refelcted in the fact that the staff is the same this year as last year. The waitresses we got to know last year also attended to us this year. My wife and I highly recommend that if you plan to stay in Grindelwald do so at Hotel Bodmi. You will not be disappointed.

14 Thank MTarr
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 9, 2003

In August 2003, my husband and I had reservations at the Hotel Bodmi.
The hotel was described on the internet as a pretty hotel in quiet surroundings. This appealed to me because I did not want a hotel that was around very loud discos, intersections, etc... So I contacted The Hotel Bodmi and asked about rates. They responded quickly with the rates and description of the room. I wrote back with questions...'was there a good view of the mountains from the room?'.. 'was there a private balcony?'...etc. They responded immediately and told me the room had a private balcony and a good view of the mountains. So I officially booked this hotel. I knew that I would have a late arrival and asked if I would loose the room, but they said that since I had secured the room with a credit card it would be okay.. but I should notify them if I was going to be after 11pm...then they would leave the key in a box outside... WELL.. I had been visiting friends near Lake Constance and had stayed longer than anticipated. We were going to be VERY late getting to Grindelwald... a 3 hour drive away! I did not have a computer to notify Hotel Bodmi of my late arrival...and further more...I had been so busy with my friends that neither of us had had ANYTHING to eat that day... we were starving. This was my first visit to Switzerland and I did not know where to go for a quick meal...we decided to drive straight to Grindelwald...we'd rather be hungry than sleeping on the street!! We finally arrived at 10:50 pm and the manager was still at the desk. My husband asked if any food was being served anywhere in Grindelwald and the manager said that every place was closed...BUT he would arranged to have food sent to our room..cheeses breads, meats..and COLD BEER!!! After just a few minutes, the food arrived and was immediately devoured. The room itself was IMMACULATE..not one thing dirty, out of place, messy.. a bottle of mineral water was left as a courtesy and a bar of Swiss Chocolate was given to us as well... I opened the door to the balcony...but all was black...except for a light shining on a cliff...or something..I knew something was there. Next morning, at around 6 a.m. I opened my eyes...and shock ..SHOCK...there was the view of the mountains...the 'good view' they said I would have from the balcony... it wasn't a good view...it was IN YOUR FACE SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!! A glacier sparkling yellow orange in the morning light was welcoming us to Grindelwald. The room was sparkling clean...nice furniture and the bathroom, modern and spotless!

The service was marvelous...the owners themselves tend to you and the breakfast buffet was full of cheeses, bread, rolls, juices, fruits, great coffee, the BEST yogurt on the planet and clean clean clean surroundings...and if you're lucky you could eat on the terrace and look at that view of the EIGER...I cry just thinking about it ..This place is the BEST hotel I have ever stayed at including all the fanciest places in Las Vegas, which pales in comparison... the Hotel is classic Swiss...not pretentious, but IMMACULATE... and that meal that they gave us the night we arrived late....they never even charged to us!!!! I should not reveal my best kept secret...but this Hotel is fine... you will not be disappointed.

39 Thank A TripAdvisor Member