“Welcoming and quiet” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Southwell
“Welcoming and quiet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

My wife and could not fault this hotel when we stayed there for a summer week. We arrived around 9.30pm because trains were running late (Yes, even in Switzerland!); they fetched us from the train station and gave us a meal in our room. My wife needed a doctor; they drove us to the surgery. We chose a cheaper North-facing room; it was vast, with sitting area, balcony, and a stunning view of the 12,000 ft. Wetterhorn. South-facing rooms face the massive Eiger. The breakfasts and dinners were excellent. Best of all for us was the absolute silence at night. Yes, it was a stiff 20-minute walk up from the town - or there are buses roughly every hour. But the views and the peace make up for the effort.

• Liked — The views and the welcome
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank BritabroadSouthwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2009

My children were in ski school here at Bodmi so I, being pregnant and very nauseous, took refuge inside the hotel and restaurant. I was met by an angry woman who informed me I'd gone in the wrong door. I found a seat in the hotel restaurant and had to flag down a waitress to order a cup of cocoa. After being ignored for over an hour, I was asked to pay my bill by the elusive waitress. I continued to sit, waiting for the new waitress to ask me if I needed anything. After twenty minutes or so, I politely tried to beckon the waitress to no avail, as I wished to order some soup. The same rude woman at the hotel desk appeared to be the hostess of the restaurant as she started filling the tables with "reserved" signs. Despite the fact that I'd not been served any food and I was visibly unwell (pale, clutching my stomach, sweating, etc.) The hostess unceremoniously told me that she needed my seat and I had to leave. There was no place else for me to go and sit...except outside in the cold. I tried to tell the waitress I'd been waiting over an hour for her to take my order but she just shrugged me off.
I wouldn't give these inconsiderate, hurtful people one single franc and I highly recommend avoiding this unfriendly place with every fiber of your being.

• Liked — the location was nice although challenging to get to...
  • Disliked — The incredibly rude staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank serewife65
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

Stayed in Aug 07 for one night - pretty much based on earlier reviews and after looking at the other options in the centre of town.

Plus points - we really liked the location, set in fields under the mountains - both to wake up to and to have lunch outside on the terrace. We thought dinner was excellent, but would accord with earlier comments re smoking/non-smoking seating - the non-smoking area is somewhat tucked away and we asked to be moved into the main room, which was relatively empty by that time, so ok even with children. Staff generally quite friendly, if not overly so. Breakfast good - typical Swiss.

However, carpets in corridors and general appearance remind you that this is really a ski hotel - and I would back up previous comments concerning the bathrooms: where else in a not-cheap hotel do you get squeezable bottles of soap attached to the wall next to sink and bath ? Not a great touch and could be easily rectified + towels not great quality either. Room was ok, however (I think we had a small suite), with balcony facing the Eiger - and sofa bed fine for children.

Outside, the treehouse was good for the children + room to run around and look at goats etc.

Parking tight + would concur with an earlier comment re access - basically, if you want to be near the front door to unload bags, you are then faced with a narrow reverse to get back to a parking area - staff did help with reversing, but not great at night.

Overall, we appreciated the setting and atmosphere, but you are paying for location rather than fittings or luxury.

• Liked — Setting, restaurant
  • Disliked — Soap bottles fixed to wall, ease of parking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank doorstomanual
Basel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2007

We went there for our ski holidays for two years in a row. The greatest thing about Bodmi is its being on the ground of the ski school and the beginners' disc lift. Our kids really loved it. To ski up in the mountains though, you would have to take a bus or ski on a steep slope (if there is sufficient snow) down to Firstbahn. There are great touches to their new sauna and the chill-out showers and areas.

The down-sides include the small and stinky ski storage room that is not so conveniently located in the garage with the slippery sloping entrance. And the very smoky restaurant/bar made enjoying meals a chore, even though we were in the non-smoking area (which is connected to the smoking area). The junior suit is rather tight when the sofa bed is opened up.

• Liked — Ski school on the ground
  • Disliked — smoking restaurant and smoky non-smoking areas
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank NovSnake
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2007

Whilst the hotel provides terrific views of Grindelwald and the mountains (weather permitting) the junior suite room was nothing to write home about. I would say it is a decent 3 star but as someone had mentioned before, the rooms are pretty much dated (but clean!) and the duvet was too light and squashed. Very basic bathroom amenities. One of those push type shampoos attached on a wall you see in gyms.

The breakfast was quite good and the dinner was okay but considering the price I would not say it is the best choice in Grindelwald....

Try the Chinese restaurant (Jasmine Garden )in town which we found totally by chance, it was awesome!!

We have no complaints about the location of the hotel, a tiring but lovely 10 minute walk up the hill, but do take a torch or something if you plan to have dinner at night in the village, it is pitch black when you get back. (No lights up that road)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Basic accommodation, okay food
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kauailover11
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed in an apartment at the Hotel Bodmi for a week in August after having read the rave reviews on Tripadvisor. Our apartment could not be faulted. It was very clean, nicely furnished, was well-appointed and had fantastic views.

If we were looking for faults, I agree with the last post that the towels and some of the bedding is probably due to be replaced.

We found all of the staff to be very efficient and very friendly. We ate in the hotel more than we expected to as the weather wasn't that great and we didn't fancy the steep walk up from the village with the possibility of getting drenched after a nice meal.

We would definitely stay at the Bodmi again!

• Stayed August 2007
1 Thank KentJohn
Exeter, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2007

We just returned from a wonderful 9-night stay at the Hotel Bodmi. Of the 3 hotels we have stayed at over the years in Grindelwald, this is by far our favorite. Our room was immaculate with a lovely view of the Eiger and lower glacial gorge, and the food on our half-board plan was absolutely fantastic! Best of all, the staff is warm and friendly and really makes you feel at home. Suffice it to say, we can't wait to make a return visit to Grindelwald and the Bodmi in a few years.

Stayed August 2007