“Memorable location and great staff”
Review of Hotel Bodmi

Hotel Bodmi
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Memorable location and great staff”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Bodmi Hotel is in a wonderful location but the hotel is brought to life by the attentiveness and helpfulness of all the staff and the owners Kurt and Elizabeth. The Eiger facing rooms have a spectacular view of the mountains and the rooms are comfortable and clean.

The highlight of the breakfast is the home made goats cheese made by Kurt using milk from the hotels herd of goats.

All in all a truly memorable stay, I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GuyThomas037

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sussex
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We have been going back to Hotel Bodmi in June for a number of years as we like the area with it's stunning scenery for walking in the high alpine paths. Hotel Bodmi is spotless and in a great position located high above the village of Grindlewald overlooking the Eiger North Face. The food is well above the standards you would expect from a village hotel and the staff are about the friendliest we have ever found in any hotel anywhere in the world. The rooms are not five star luxury but are comfortable with all the facilities you will need for a stay. Good to be able to go down to dinner in casual clothes afterall this is a hiking and winter sports area. If the weather is warm then breakfast is served on the terrace with a view of the Eiger North Face. Elizabeth & Kurt make you feel very welcome indeed and run their hotel to the very highest standards but in a relaxed and confortable way. They even keep a small herd of goats which supply the breakfast bar with fresh goats cheese. Go for the slightly smaller rooms at the front of the hotel with a view of the Eiger, stunning on a clear morning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 911travellors
Southwell
Reviewed January 12, 2009

My wife and could not fault this hotel when we stayed there for a summer week. We arrived around 9.30pm because trains were running late (Yes, even in Switzerland!); they fetched us from the train station and gave us a meal in our room. My wife needed a doctor; they drove us to the surgery. We chose a cheaper North-facing room; it was vast, with sitting area, balcony, and a stunning view of the 12,000 ft. Wetterhorn. South-facing rooms face the massive Eiger. The breakfasts and dinners were excellent. Best of all for us was the absolute silence at night. Yes, it was a stiff 20-minute walk up from the town - or there are buses roughly every hour. But the views and the peace make up for the effort.

• Liked — The views and the welcome
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank BritabroadSouthwell
England
Reviewed January 1, 2009

My children were in ski school here at Bodmi so I, being pregnant and very nauseous, took refuge inside the hotel and restaurant. I was met by an angry woman who informed me I'd gone in the wrong door. I found a seat in the hotel restaurant and had to flag down a waitress to order a cup of cocoa. After being ignored for over an hour, I was asked to pay my bill by the elusive waitress. I continued to sit, waiting for the new waitress to ask me if I needed anything. After twenty minutes or so, I politely tried to beckon the waitress to no avail, as I wished to order some soup. The same rude woman at the hotel desk appeared to be the hostess of the restaurant as she started filling the tables with "reserved" signs. Despite the fact that I'd not been served any food and I was visibly unwell (pale, clutching my stomach, sweating, etc.) The hostess unceremoniously told me that she needed my seat and I had to leave. There was no place else for me to go and sit...except outside in the cold. I tried to tell the waitress I'd been waiting over an hour for her to take my order but she just shrugged me off.
I wouldn't give these inconsiderate, hurtful people one single franc and I highly recommend avoiding this unfriendly place with every fiber of your being.

• Liked — the location was nice although challenging to get to...
  • Disliked — The incredibly rude staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
8 Thank serewife65
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Stayed in Aug 07 for one night - pretty much based on earlier reviews and after looking at the other options in the centre of town.

Plus points - we really liked the location, set in fields under the mountains - both to wake up to and to have lunch outside on the terrace. We thought dinner was excellent, but would accord with earlier comments re smoking/non-smoking seating - the non-smoking area is somewhat tucked away and we asked to be moved into the main room, which was relatively empty by that time, so ok even with children. Staff generally quite friendly, if not overly so. Breakfast good - typical Swiss.

However, carpets in corridors and general appearance remind you that this is really a ski hotel - and I would back up previous comments concerning the bathrooms: where else in a not-cheap hotel do you get squeezable bottles of soap attached to the wall next to sink and bath ? Not a great touch and could be easily rectified + towels not great quality either. Room was ok, however (I think we had a small suite), with balcony facing the Eiger - and sofa bed fine for children.

Outside, the treehouse was good for the children + room to run around and look at goats etc.

Parking tight + would concur with an earlier comment re access - basically, if you want to be near the front door to unload bags, you are then faced with a narrow reverse to get back to a parking area - staff did help with reversing, but not great at night.

Overall, we appreciated the setting and atmosphere, but you are paying for location rather than fittings or luxury.

• Liked — Setting, restaurant
  • Disliked — Soap bottles fixed to wall, ease of parking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank doorstomanual
Basel
Reviewed November 6, 2007

We went there for our ski holidays for two years in a row. The greatest thing about Bodmi is its being on the ground of the ski school and the beginners' disc lift. Our kids really loved it. To ski up in the mountains though, you would have to take a bus or ski on a steep slope (if there is sufficient snow) down to Firstbahn. There are great touches to their new sauna and the chill-out showers and areas.

The down-sides include the small and stinky ski storage room that is not so conveniently located in the garage with the slippery sloping entrance. And the very smoky restaurant/bar made enjoying meals a chore, even though we were in the non-smoking area (which is connected to the smoking area). The junior suit is rather tight when the sofa bed is opened up.

• Liked — Ski school on the ground
  • Disliked — smoking restaurant and smoky non-smoking areas
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank NovSnake
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Whilst the hotel provides terrific views of Grindelwald and the mountains (weather permitting) the junior suite room was nothing to write home about. I would say it is a decent 3 star but as someone had mentioned before, the rooms are pretty much dated (but clean!) and the duvet was too light and squashed. Very basic bathroom amenities. One of those push type shampoos attached on a wall you see in gyms.

The breakfast was quite good and the dinner was okay but considering the price I would not say it is the best choice in Grindelwald....

Try the Chinese restaurant (Jasmine Garden )in town which we found totally by chance, it was awesome!!

We have no complaints about the location of the hotel, a tiring but lovely 10 minute walk up the hill, but do take a torch or something if you plan to have dinner at night in the village, it is pitch black when you get back. (No lights up that road)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Basic accommodation, okay food
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple