“Outstanding Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Hotel”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I visited the Belvedere in mid August on a half-board basis, and found all aspects of the hotel to be exceptional. The staff were friendly, professional, and eager to please. The room (room 123) was clean, spacious, well appointed, and had a magnificent view of the Eiger. It even had an ‘automatic’ toilet which you would need to experience to believe!!!!???? The buffet breakfasts consisted of both hot and cold dishes, with ample choices to suit all tastes. The evening meal consisted of a six course gourmet meal, which was out of this world.
I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone contemplating a stay in the Grindelwald area.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Molesey19
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Dear Belvedere guest.
Thank you so much for writing a review to Tripadvisor, thank you so much for giving your experience on to the world. More and more guests tell me, when meeting me at the hotel, that they have chosen the Belvedere after having read some reviews on Tripadvisor and often they also mention, that they liked my response.
Our hotel can only be "outstanding" as long as our staff are ready to offer their best service, as long as they give their best. We are thankful, that we still can find such people and if in-between we get somebody who does not care so much, we try to solve the problem as quick as possible. That this cannot be done, before one or the other guest have been disappointed is unfortunately a fact. We promise, that we will do all we can, to avoid such incidents. For example by being present as often as possible personally.
We really hope, that we will see you again soon, why not in the winter time, when Grindelwald offers great skiing, wonderful winter hiking or tobogganing.

Silvia & Urs Hauser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sheffield, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We are definitely coming back. I wish I were there right now. This hotel provided us (my husband, myself and another couple) with everything to support a most glorious experience of relaxating after hiking, in special saunas & steam room, swimming, and filling ourselves with magnificent views everywhere you looked. The food was beyond sumptuous, beautifully created, & delivered by loving staff. Truly a rewarding experience you'll never forget.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2010
Dear Belvedere guests
thank you for your wonderful review. We highly appreciate your help. We are very happy to read, that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and thanks to your help, to spread the word, we will stay in business, even only a small family run hotel.
We promise, the family and our staff will do their utmost, to keep the quality up. Due to the insecurity in this world, investors have started bying Swiss Francs in hudge quantities, making it's value go up by more than 20-30% and us therefore unfortunately more expensive. We highly appreciate, that you have chosen Grindelwald and there our hotel.
Looking forward to welcoming you back, eventually in winter time for skiing, winter hiking or tobogganing.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We, a family of 3, stayed a week at hotel Belvedere during one of the best and most sunny weeks of this year. We had booked a Family Junior Suite of 47m2, that had one of the most efficient lay outs I have ever seen. Good furniture, great bathroom and seperate toilet and shower. Excellent.
The service in the hotel was OK, and the food was very good. Not the heavy Swiss food, but a mixture of light Swiss and Italian food with an international touch. The 6 courses per evening were a joy. For our 11 year old daughter there was a childrens menu, also freshly prepared.
The swiming pool had a decent size and a fine whirl pool. Our daughter, and we, enjoyed it.
But best was not the hotel but the great and central location of Grindelwald and how easy it was to get into the mountains. During the 7 days we were at Grindelwald we did not at all use our car. We got us a 6 day Jungfraubahnen pass, which allowed as to travel by train, bus, cable, etc. And you really get everywere. You don't need a car at all.
So an excellent hotel and location, but unfortunately also pricy. Of course Switzerland is relatively expensive, but € 4000 + is by all standards expensive for 1 week at a 4 star hotel. Value for money is average.
We like to be back, maybe for winter sports.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Dear Belvedere guest. Wow, am I glad, that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you love Grindelwald. Yes, from the nature point of view, it is hard to beat the beauty of the Grindelwald valley. Summer for hiking, adventure sport, hiking and winter for skiing, winter hiking, tobogganing, it is always real special.
You mention that it is pricy and yes, I agree, it is. € 3700.- , that was what you paid for your family of 3 in a family junior-suite and that is certainly not cheap. In July 2009, when our rates were exactly the same, you would have paid €3100. That would have been better, wouldn't it ? Take the dollar, in 2001 an American would have paid for the same $ 2700.- now it is $ 4800.- Our rates are still the same, it is not us, who got pricy, but the Swiss Franc. Even the intervention of the Swiss National Bank did not help. They sold 135 billion Swiss Franc to get it lower, but no success. Just like the security in our country, the big investors believe in the security of our economy and currency and then the same happens as with gold, the value goes sky rock. One pound of prime beef does cost us CHF 45.- (=$ 45.- or € 34.-), a dishwasher does cost us CHF 4'500.- a month (= €3500). If you have an idea, how to lower our room rates and still be able to keep up the high quality of service and have some money left at the end of the year to keep the hotel in shape, I would be the first wanting to know.
Let's keep the fingers crossed, that the Swiss Franc will soon go back to a normal level and then we will be 10-20% cheaper again. It has to happen, otherwise the Swiss economy (tourism and export) will not only suffer but lots of companies will disappear.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon and would like to thank you so much for the wonderful review, for having taken your time to recommend us to the world. We highly appreciate it. Thank you also for giving me the opportunity to explain, why Switzerland can not be cheap.
With best regards
Urs-B. Hauser, owner in 3rd generation.
South Carolina
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We spent three nights at the Belvedere while touring Switzerland. This was by far the nicest hotel we stayed at. We felt that it certainly lived up to the reputation it enjoys on Trip Advisor. We had a lovely room with all the amenities one could ask for. Breakfast was wonderful with a good variety. We chose the half-board and dinners were very well prepared, very tasty and portions were generous.
The staff was very attentive to our needs and also very helpful in advising us on how to plan our days.
The Houser family certainly make their guests feel welcome and add their personal touch to the hotel.
This hotel is certainly a gem in Grindelwald and I would definitely stay here again if I am in the area.
A special thank you to the Houser family for making our stay so pleasant and memorable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tbrein
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2010
Dear Belvedere guests. It was a great pleasure having you in our hotel. I hope you enjoyed your entire trip through Switzerland and now, having seen that Grindelwald is the most beautiful place in our country, if we talk mountains, I hope that you will come back and stay with us again, may be even a little longer next time.
While you were with us, our two children, Carole and Philip were during their summer vacation also helping in the restaurant and at the reception, we became a real family enterprise. May be, who knows, one of the children will take over one day, it would be the 4th generation.
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, thank you so much for your stay with us. Wishing you all the best, I remain with best regards
Urs-B. Hauser & family
Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed August 13, 2010

It was great how the dealt with a problem caused by ebookers.
Breakfeast with great local food, e.g. cheese from the mountains
Everything well organised
Great for both private as well as public transportation

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
Dear Belvedere guest from Switzerland.
Thank you very much for your review. Wonderful that you stayed with us, sorry that the weather was so bad for biking, therefore please return, why not on short notice, when the weather forecast is good for several days. In Grindelwald, there is right now the Eiger bike challenge, a great biker competition. Grindelwald is anyhow a real bikers paradise.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2010

This is my third visit to the Belvedere in as many years. Clearly, I will return again next time I visit Grindelwald, as it is the best hotel in town. That does not, however, mean that it's perfect.

I feel a little apprehensive about writing this, as the owners are so friendly, but I think travellers need to know what I feel is a serious drawback of this hotel, namely its rooms. They are quite basic, outdated, and have an "eighties" feel to them. This is especially the case for the bathrooms, which I do not feel are acceptable for a hotel of this standard. (It's probably been more than 20 years since I have seen a bathroom decorated in salmon pink and black). The shower/bath also needs urgent replacing. In my opinion, the rooms need complete refurbishing.

On the whole, I agree with much of the glowing reviews on this hotel (excellent service, food, location, etc.), but the rooms are the exception.

As a family-run hotel, I understand that a complete overhaul could be prohibitively expensive, but I think the owners have now stretched the rooms as far as they can go - simple fixes will not do anymore. I understand that they are planning a large expansion to the hotel, so hopefully this will include a complete refurb of the exisisting building,

I also regularly go to Zermatt, where the standards of the hotels are on a different level altogether. I would still recommend this hotel if you go to Grindelwald, but you have to be realistic about the accommodations. Do not expect the same quality as for instance the Omnia hotel or the Coeur des Alpes in Zermatt (which are not really more expensive).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
Dear Belvedere guest.
What a pleasure to hear, that you have already returned 3 times to our hotel and that you even think returning and that despite the fact, that you do not like our rooms. Please take a good look on our website, may be there is one or the other type of room, which you would prefer to what you had.
Let me just talk about the bathrooms. Our oldest bathrooms have been completely newly built in 1994, with grey/black or white/black tiles and the wooden frame around the sinks, below the granit surface, in salmon colour, same colour as the furnitures in those rooms. The last bathrooms which we renovated 2 years ago, have been done exactly alike, only the frames have a white and not a salmon frame. 1980 ?
We feel flattered however, that you compare us to design hotels like Omnia and Coeur des Alpes in Zermatt. However can you really compare ? The Omnia has 30 rooms and has been recently built. To built that hotel, according to serious information sources in Zermatt, about 50 millions have been spent, means over 1.5 millions per room. Wow, what could we do with that kind of money. Return of investment ? The design hotel Coeur des Alpes has only 6 suites and 7 rooms, built 10 years ago and the new building only 2 year ago. Can you really compare our 100 year old hotel with a brand new bed and breakfast ? They have bathrooms, like some other newly built hotels also, that are open with no separation wall to the bedroom. I doubt that many people over 50 like it. The design in those hotels is completely new, completely modern, wonderful. If they have the necessary money to change that decor in about 5-8 years, great, otherwise, they will have to hear similar opinions like the one we just got from you.
We give out questionnaires to our guests and they are very interesting to read. On one questionnaire it might say, wonderful room, on the next one : outdated room. Both guests had identical rooms. One one we read : Rooms should have much more wood, be much more chalet style, on the next it says : Rooms should be much more modern, and on the next one again something completely different. There comes the question : What should we do ? Some of each ? On internet, you can see, that we already have quite a wide choice of different rooms with different decors.
You mention our building plans. Let's keep the fingers crossed, that we will get the building permit. Our rooms in the actual building will be of no importance to you anymore, as you will for sure find what you are looking for in the new part. But yes of course, we continue renovating also the "old" building, this autumn we will work on the pool area, before its size will be tripled when building the addition.
We wish you all the best and thank you so much for complimenting our service and cuisine. We are looking forward to welcoming you back for your 4th visit, may be in our new addition. With best regards. Urs-B. Hauser
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We've stayed in many hotels but I now understand the true beauty of the boutique hotel. The hotel itself is exactly what I would expect when in the mountains of Switzerland, classy and sophisticated. The staff is super friendly and helpful, they do what needs to be done. We didn't eat there and therefore cannot comment on the food, but the outdoor salt water tub, with the mountains in the background and the fires, is a really nice touch. There is a park in case you bring kids. We found the hotel to be immaculately clean, modern while still having the elegant class of Switzerland and the best part was that you were not nickel and dimed for everything. They have a computer you can use, they allowed us to hook up our laptop to their Internet for free, they gave free welcome drinks, the use of umbrellas etc. When you stay in a chain hotel now they try to get you on every little thing and you often start to wonder what you paid for. Here there was a feeling of family and connection and I honestly feel like they would remember us if we returned. All in all, an outstanding experience in the quaintest of towns.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gbrg7
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Dear guests from Los Angeles
very active and very fast, that's really you. Hardly left our hotel, already a great review on Tripadvisor. Thank you so much for that wonderful review and thank you of course for your stay with us.
You are a young couple and you fully enjoyed our unique nature. Tandem paragliding, canyoning, hiking in the mountains, wow, you did not stop for a minute. Come back in winter, there we offer skiing, tobogganing, snow shoe hiking, curling, all a lot of fun.
Thank you so much for offering my son your help, if needed, during his upcoming stay a the USC-Marshall School of Business.
Our family run hotel has been built by my grandfather from 1904 to 1907 (first part) and 1909 - 1910 and has been renovated many times. This is why it has a touch of history, but it is still modern. However it's small, 100 guests and we are fully booked already.
Our hotel has obtained, as first Swiss Hotel, the "Travelife Golden Award", a sustainability award for our efforts towards nature and our staff.

We hope you will come back soon, we are already looking forward to your next visit.
Have a great year and all the best.

Yours sincerely