“Outstanding”

Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 10, 2010

We stayed in the hotel with two children 8 and 4 for a week in January 2010. Chose it solely because of excellent feedback here on the website and the attention the hotel owners give to the reviews.
We were stunned with the personal approach and the attention Mr. Hauser (the owner) and his staff give to the guests. Each evening we had a very informal chat with Mr. Hauser at the dinner. Almost each day there was something interesting and special happening and everybody was welcome to join. We were particularly happy that our children were always welcome and there was no language barrier (although they do not speak any local language). Everyone in the staff was always very forthcoming to their little needs, etc. The cherry on the pie was little Christmas party for kids with X-mas tree Santa, donkey, and gifts in front of the hotel.
The hotel is situated in a very good location just outside of the very center of Grindelwald with the outstanding view on the mountains (Eiger is beautiful!) and the settlement. Very quiet and convenient place. Our suite was very cozy and well designed.
We would like to specially mention the cuisine. It was simply impossible to resist each day the new variety of very nicely cooked dishes with the stile and excellent taste.
The service is very well thought through and is exactly where and when you need it. However, not only this is making this hotel so special. We travel a lot and have seen many other places and hotels. The real differentiating factor is that the owners really take personal interest in what the guest need, strive to accommodate differences and always seek to improve their offering. This is invaluable and really rare. The review may seem too good but this is really what we experienced and we would like to thank Mr. Hauser and his team for our wonderful vacation and a excellent start of the year!

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank A_plus_A
Ypcbeam, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2010

Dear guests from Moscow
thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are very happy to hear, that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back.
We are happy, that we have the pleasure of welcoming guests from Russia and Ukraine since about 4 years. Before only 5 star hotels were visited. Since then, several Russian and Ukrain families and of course also couples, have visited us already 3 times. I hope that these guests will soon discover our wonderful nature also in the summer time.
Thank you so much and please recommend us also to other wonderful people like you.

Reviewed December 28, 2009

My fiancee and I came to the BSQH for a romantic weekend - and the stay started quite well, with the amazing drive up to Grindelwald, the cute little village and the amazing view already from the elevator to the top floor. Inside the room, little hearts had been sprinkled all over. The view indeed is as amazing as many of the reviews here say - especially from the penthouse.

However, the hotel is also quite expensive - and even in this category, the price vs quality factor is relevant. In our opinion, the room is not cozy and slightly contrary to the exceptional view it has; anonymous furniture, weirdly decorated and with a with to the rooftop chimney as well as the amazing mountainsides.
Furthermore, when asking for a iron to prepare our clothes for the dinner at night, the reception lady did not seem able, nor interested, in helping - we simply couldn't muster an iron ! Later at night, despite having noticed with the hearts that we were on a romantic vacation, our bed still consisted of two separate beds put together, although we had specifically asked for a king size bed when booking. No late check-out was allowed either.

Now this might all seem like small things. And admittedly, the host family gives enormous attention to their hotel through everything from answers here at Tripadvisor, over personalized xmas cards sent by snail mail to marketing material sent out.

But comparing price to quality and service, I unfortunately cannot give the BSQH more than three stars overall.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ypcbeam, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2009

Dear Sir/Madam
we are very sorry, that you did not like the room, which is one of our most popular ones.
But yes, a decor is a matter of taste, and hard to please everybody. We however also have rooms in completely different styles, as you can see on internet.
It is correct, that we did not bring you an iron board to the room, but you have been offered, that the ironing is done by our staff. Irons and iron board were not brought to the rooms, because of an fire insurance problem. That problem has been solved in the mean time and now irons and iron boards are available to our guests on request..
The majority of our summer guests used to come from Japan. As they do not accept any Queen or Kind Size Beds, all our rooms have twins beds. As recently more and more people request King Size beds, we have now bought a system, with an additional top mattress, that is allowing us to make a King Size Bed out of the twins. As you see, we try to do our very best and to both of your complaints, we already found a good solution.
You wrote yourself how fantastic the view was. This is also a reason, why our rooms on the top floor, with Jacuzzi bath tub, shower, shower-WC cost more. In Grindelwald and every resort in the Alps, you can buy exactly identical appartments in two locations in the same resort. One appartment with a top location, the other one with not such a good location. With every guarantee, the appartment with the top location will cost you at least twice as much as the other one. Even in Dubai this it is not any different.
For us, it is of course very hard to get only 3 points from you, but yes, even if we really try very hard to make everybody happy, we unfortunately not always succeed. But here my promise, we continue trying.
Urs-B. Hauser, owner

Reviewed November 1, 2009

The Belvedere is # 1 on Trip Advisor for a reason....this is a fantastic hotel! We are already planning a return visit to Switzerland next September. We will again visit Grindelwald, and can't imagine staying elsewhere...the Belvedere has won our hearts!

We had a wonderful, gracious greeting at reception and were shown to our room, an Executive Junior Suite on the 5th floor with an absolutely stunning view looking right at the Eiger. Welcome cocktails were graciously provided...a beer for my husband, while I enjoyed a glass of Prosecco, and we sat on the lovely, large balcony gazing at the Eiger content in the fact that we had made the perfect choice.

The room was spacious and well appointed and the bed extremely comfortable. The large balcony with table and chairs we made good use of, and the view was breathtaking. There is a mini-bar, safe(key) and wireless internet accessible in the room. Good wardrobe/storage space, and bathrobes/slippers provided as well. The bathroom was wonderful...large jacuzzi tub, separate (FABULOUS!) roomy shower, toilet separated from bath area, great, spacious sink area. Toiletries (other than liquid soap in dispensers) are not provided but available on request at reception.
The toilet here deserves it's own special mention. It can be used as a regular commode, however it also has a paper-free option in which you are hygenically washed with clean water and then you are air dryed via some system from below....no, I am not kidding. This is a new, environmental friendly commode system that is pretty amazing. I didn't realize this until our 3rd day when I spotted the brochure on the back of the commode. Now there's a high tech bathroom! Special mention also goes to the Belvedere for their "Pillow bar"....a catalogue of pillows one may choose from to enhance the nights sleep! My husband and I both decided to try out the "wood pillow" which, if I remember correctly, is supposed to reduce your heart rate during sleep and leave one more rested. I don't know the science behind this, but my husband and I both had 3 wonderful nights sleep at this hotel. Major kudos to the Belvedere for some different amenities from what one finds at "cookie cutter" hotels!
We had the half-board plan, which included a wonderful breakfast, and oh my, 6 course dinners. "Our" table was right by a window looking directly at the Eiger and the view, again, was astounding. The service here is completely, 100% efficient, friendly,and professional....just impeccable service. I cannot say enough good things about this staff, to a person they are wonderful.
Breakfast was wide in variety including meats, cheeses, breads, yogurt, granola, fresh fruits, about 7-8 different fresh juices.....just wonderful. Also every day there were warm eggs, sunny side up twice, scrambled once, with ham or bacon, perfectly cooked. A special note here again as regards attention to details: There is a large plate warmer keeping plates warmed for the hot food. Oh how my Dad would have loved that touch...he always said it was such a shame to put warm food on a cold plate! Just another example of how the Belvedere does the little things that are much appreciated.

Dinners were astounding. This was not by any means your average half-board food....this food was worthy of any 5 star restaurant. A 6 course menu is offered. There was an appetizer...then a choice of soups (cream or consomme) or juices, an absolutely wonderful salad buffet (try the French dressing) a choice of 3 entrees including one meat dish, one vegetarian and one fish, a large selection of cheeses for the cheese course, and a choice of several desserts (amazing house made sorbets). Everything we had, without exception, was fabulous. We had a Parsley root cream soup with mountain cheese that was absolutely incredible. We had grilled wild hare wrapped in bacon that was divine. Whatever you choose I can pretty much guarantee it will be fabulous...the food was THAT good. One night was a buffet night, and this was also done beautifully, with a wide assortment of food to please anybodys palate. I truly cannot imagine anyone dining here and not being happy. The food is SO good and the staff tries so hard to accomodate and please. I must also mention that there is a fabulous piano player providing music during dinner which we really enjoyed. One night there was an accordian player and he was also excellent. It's such a nice touch to have music during ones meal and it was never intrusive...just added to the great atmosphere. We enjoyed our dinners so much. Do try the Belvedere's 100 year old anniversary wine, it's excellent. My husband loved this wine. I tried an italian red by the glass, recommended by one of the servers, that was also very good. There is an extensive wine list and suggestions each night to accompany thats night dishes. I am sure they were right on target though we opted for by the glass. On a side note, the carafes of spring water provided are excellent and there is no need to purchase bottled water! Anyway, I can't praise the food here enough...I know it is highly recommended by Frommer's as the best in Grindelwald and I can certainly see why.
The next days menu is posted in the elevators the night before. If you choose not to eat and have the half-board opton, and you notify the desk, they will credit 20 CHF pp to your account...you can also opt to eat a la carte, and you can eat off the a la carte menu for 1/2 price. For either of these options you need to inform the front desk by, I believe, 2 pm that day.....more than fair....but, just my opinion, just stick with the 1/2 board menu and you won't regret it! And be adventuresome...I had never had wild hare before, but I am sure glad I tried it!
On to the spa. We made use of the spa every day and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had good long walks/hikes each day so the spa was very welcome upon our return to the hotel and prior to dinner. There is a wonderful pool, an indoor hot tub, an outdoor heated whirlpool overlooking the Eiger, a Bio-Sauna, Turkish Bath, Finish Sauna, Experience Shower with Warm Rainfall or Cold mist, and an chilling plunge bath that is GREAT after the Sauna/turkish bath. This also came in handy for "icing" my husbands knee....it was COLD. It was invigorating and very refreshing! Be advised the spa area is "clothing optional" as is the norm in Switzerland, we were aware of this, but most guests will have discreet use of a towel...just be forewarned you may encounter a textile free spa person!
The Belvedere is well situated, a short 5 minute walk from the train station. The uncompromised views of the Eiger are spectacular. Though close to the train station, we found it very quiet. From Grindelwald one can access an amazing lift system to get just about anywhere for fabulous hiking. My father, who has passed, absolutely loved Grindelwald and hiking in this area. I know he was smiling down at us while we explored the area and enjoyed some of the best hiking and scenery Switzerland has to offer. We were here 3 short days and it wasn't nearly long enough...we can't wait to return to the Belvedere, and are aiming to be back again in September 2010! We felt this hotel was, with the half-board, our best stay AND best value of our entire trip. A warm "Thank You" to the entire staff for a fabulous 3 days at the Belvedere!

4  Thank mcjhNE
Ypcbeam, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2009

What else can I say than : THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I will show it to all members of our staff and I hope that this will not only make them happy but motivate them to try to get even better. We, the Hauser family. owner family of the Belvedere since 1907, when ohn Hauser built the hotel, are very proud of our staff and know, that we can offer such a service only thanks to them.
To have the great pleasure and honour to welcome that many regular guests is a wonderful recompensation for what we are doing.

Reviewed September 21, 2009

Great hotel, great location, great staff, great food. Having said that, and this seems to be a Swiss thing, but the "double twin" bed arrangment is not great. The idea of seperate matresses with seperate comforters for each side kind of defeats the purpose of a cozy be for two.

3  Thank canyonbat
reception01, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2009

Wonderful review, thank you so much. The reason why our rooms have two mattresses is simple. For years, the majority of our summer guests have been Japanese. They did not accept any Queen or Kind Size beds. However we are changing that now. Some rooms will get new Queen or King Size beds. We have also bought some very small pieces of mattresses that are now allowing us to let the gap between the two mattresses disappear. It is not yet 100% King Size like that, but almost.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon and wish you all the best
Silvia and Urs Hauser, owners

Reviewed September 10, 2009

This was the 3rd time we had been back to this hotel (in summer), so you can guess it is one of our favourites as we picked it for our 30th wedding anniversary.
Grindelwald is a great place for relaxed hiking as there are several cable cars etc out of the town, to get you easily to places you want to walk minimal effort.
The hotel has been revamped since we were there last and the rooms look more interesting than before (bit stark before). They have a good bathroom and cleanliness is great.

We picked an Eiger facing room, a wonderful view to wake up to in the morning.
The hotel has one of the best aspects in the village as it is at the Eiger end of the village and faces it. It is always worth having the Eiger facing rooms for the little extra.

The lounge terrace where you can have afternoon/after dinner drinks looks directly at the Eiger and Kleine Scheidegg area, great for a sunny afternoon after hiking.

One of the great things about the hotel is the food. Included in the normal package is a 6 course evening meal, good if you’ve been hiking as you have a chance of fininshing it.
Starter, soup, salad (buffet, quite varied), main course, desert and cheese (buffet, very good selection) and all really good quality. This is NOT the “fill your boots” alpine/hiking catering. All courses at the hotel are worthy of a good restaurant anywhere. The dishes are interesting and some inventive Never had a dinner I was not really pleased with. Most days we couldn’t manage all courses. On two days in the week they hold special events with an added starter and desert buffet and on another day a complete buffet selection on most courses. Wine prices are OK, a varied selection at normal UK restaurant prices.

The staff are lovely, friendly of mixed ages and chatty and many seem to have been there for some time (some 25yrs?), so you get the feeling of a happy well run establishment. The hotel is family run and they will send you newsletters for years after your visit, just so you remember to return (and we do).

I found the prices pretty fair (esp. compared with the Eurozone this year) and they even included a local railpass in the package (normally 200CHF).

We will defiantly go back – again and again.

3  Thank GeoCritic
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2009

Thank you very much for your detailled review. We are very happy to hear that you intend coming back. We did get a "very good" from you this time and we promise we will do our utmost, that also you will be able to give us an "excellent" in the future. We are planning an addition with 48 junior-suites and suites, new additional sky restaurant and bar, new lobby (5x bigger than the one we have now), triple the size of the wellness area and more. To get such a building permit does take quite some time in Switzerland, therefore do not worry, there will be no building site the next year or two and once we start, we will close anyhow.
Some rooms will also be renovated this year, in November, like every year.
Yes, some members of staff are working with (not for) us for years. Knowing that there is no unemployment in Switzerland and they all have a big choice, that's not a bad sign, isn't it ?
We have by the way kept our rates the same for years, despite the fact that the costs keep going up. If you have to pay more,this is only due to your lower currency.
Thanks so much. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.
Urs-B. Hauser & family

Reviewed September 8, 2009

The hotel is perfectly situated for a summer break in the Bernese Oberland and the view across to the North Face of the Eiger is stunning. The staff are attentive and friendly without being overpowering and the food is absolutely sensational. The 1/2-board option is strongly recommended and the hotel wine recommendations were faultless. I would not hesitate in recommending the hotel to anyone who wants a luxury break in the delightful Jungfrau Region and I hope that my Wife and I will have the opportunity to stay here again.

3  Thank BobbyBShropshire
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2009

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you wish to come back.
We highly appreciate your review and hope that many people will read it.
From next winter on, the entire hotel will be smoke-free with the exception of the cosy "smokers lounge" which we will newly build this coming November 2009.
We also offer the best possible rates, however with staff costs that are located at about 40-45% of turn over (a dishwasher for example costs us $ 3'700.- a month) it is not so easy. A friend of mine, restaurant owner in the US has staff costs of 14%.
I hope that helps the readers to understand better, why Switzerland can not be cheap.
All the best and see you soon
With best regards
Urs-B. Hauser, owner

Reviewed August 23, 2009

When looking for a hotel in Grindelwald we were constantly drawn to this hotel by other reviews, and we were not dissapointed. Collected from the station, and being escorted to our room was a great start. The room was fantastic, looking out at the Eiger and the valley below. As we had a corner room we had a double aspect view, which was great.
Beds were very comfortable, room was great, everything worked. Particular praise goes to all the staff, who were very friendly and helpful, always seemed to be smiling. They all seemed to really like working there, nothing too much trouble. Food was great, 6 courses every night, very nice, if slightly unusual food at times, but hey its a holiday why not try something a bit different. Pool and spa were very clean and a must after a days walking in the mountains. Excellent location for the town, lifts, trains etc. Ask at reception about walks they are only too happy to help. Only one slight issue is that we thought drinks were expensive when compared with other places in town. One tip not hotel related is DONT BUY WATER AT MOUNTAIN TOP RESTAURANTS, its ridiculously expensive. Hotel tap water is fine.

4  Thank paulncath
Urs-Beat, Owner at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2009

Thanks for the wonderful review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Bars with life music charge much more for drinks and despite the fact that we have our pianist playing, we are not charging more than regular restaurants in town. Our tap water is from a well by the way, very healthy indeed and we do not charge for it at all. Yes, save that money and enjoy a better bottle of wine instead. Just yesterday a guest from France drank a 1996 Bordeaux 1er Grand Cru and told me, that he has never seen such top class wine at such a low rate anywhere.
In Switzerland service staff costs about 30 dollars an hour as they don't live on tip money like in other countries. That's why a coffee, a tea or a mineral water can not be cheap. And taxes are also already included.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon, hopefully.
With best regards