“4 Star Family Run Gem in The Heart of the Alps”

Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Australia
“4 Star Family Run Gem in The Heart of the Alps”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Grindelwald – A bucket list destination, the ultimate Swiss mountain village.
The Belvedere. From the street your first impression is ‘ this is not Swiss’ , nor is the name but as soon as you enter this 107 year old, 4 star family run hotel you realise you made the right choice in accommodation. The staff immediately make you feel, not just welcome, but as if you are a returning family member. The rooms are spacious, very well appointed and the views are just spectacular. You are totally surrounded by snow topped mountains. If you don’t feel like dining in the understated but excellent hotel restaurant you are just a short walk from the village centre, where there are an abundance of culinary delights to tempt even the fussiest eater. The Belvedere is the perfect base to explore all this region has to offer and after a hard day sightseeing, hiking or mountain exploring you can ease away any tension with a massage or a soak in the outdoor heated spa.
No matter what season you visit, Hotel Belvedere will sure to fit the bill for decerning travellers.

This hotel has been in the same family since it was built which is what I really liked about it, as the Hauser family touches show up in so many ways – including on my return home a traditional style newspaper format newsletter. http://www.belvedere-grindelwald.ch/en/hotel
It exceeded my expectations, and will definitely return to the Hotel Belvedere on my next trip to Switzerland

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank AustralianTravelGuru
Ypcbeam, Inhaber at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Belvedere guests from Australia.
what a pleasure to read your great review. Thank you so much for having spent a holiday with us and wonderful to hear that you have the intention to return. The number of guests from your continent is growing, winter and summer and that are perfect news for us, as the Swiss resort hotels are suffering from the European financial crisis and the strenght of the Swiss Franc.
Looking forward to welcoming you back, we remain.
With best regards.
The Hauser family (Silvia, Urs, Carole, Philip & Susan) and staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a family owned hotel, the restaurant is very good and the hotel is situated with a stunning view of the surrounding alps including the terrifying north wall of Eiger.

Make sure to stay a few days, use the hotel facilities which are great for a relaxing and revitalizing stay.

I havent been here for a long time. Still it is on my top list of next vacation!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CRNorway
reception01, Inhaber at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear guest from Norway.
Thank you so much for having decided to come and stay in Grindelwald and thank you for having chosen our hotel, the Belvedere. Unfortunately, so far, we do not have the pleasure of welcoming many guests from Scandinavia. Grindelwald, member of "Best of the Alps" and certainly one of the most beautiful places in the world, is unfortunately not yet really known in your wonderful northern countries. We hope that this will change soon and we hope, that you will help us to spread the word. Thank you so much in advance and thank you also for having written to Tripadvisor.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
With best regards
Urs-B. Hauser & family.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed for a week in March this year in a delux twin room with a view of the Eiger. The view was exceptional and we had a lovely balcony on which to sit and enjoy it. The room was spacious with excellent television reception and everything else one needed. The food was, generally, good and the service friendly. Why then do I have some slight reservations? Well, by my standards this was a very expensive hotel and 4 star. I therefore expect things to be spot on. When we arrived there was no one at the reception desk. We waited and waited. The driver who had brought us from the station went around the back to try to find someone. No luck. Then a lady arrived, very pleasant and apologised saying that two parties had arrived at the same time. But hang on, this is a 4 star hotel. Surely they should always be someone on reception. I rang the reception the next morning and no one answered. Again, this is not good enough. When we went in to dinner the first night, we were placed at a table far away from the views in rather a dark area of the restaurant. We were told that this would be our table for the whole week (not just for dinner - we had booked half board) but also for breakfast. I made a mental note to speak to someone about this and did so the next day. We were then moved to a delightful spot with a view and light. But surely for guests staying for a whole week, I should not have had to have done this? And so it went on. Little niggles, but niggles all the same. A bathroom tap which never worked properly, a shower which was difficult to control, food which varied in quality. Maybe I am being picky, but at these prices I expected the best. Nevertheless, the views make up for a great deal and the service was friendly if not always very effective. I would return (when I win the lottery) but with somewhat lower expectations.

Room Tip: You need a room facing the mountains on the south side to make it worthwhile staying here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dopeyhopey
Dear Belvedere guest.
thank you very much for telling me, that you would return. This means, that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a great time. Regarding the rates, please take in account that due to the European financial crisis, the Swiss Franc is so much in demand, and therefore got about 40% stronger. That means that we got 40% more expensive and that without changing our rates. You are absolutely right, that it happens, that there is nobody at the reception for a few minutes and I agree with you, that there should be somebody all the time. That would however mean, that we would have to give up the service to bring the guests to the room. If two parties are arriving together and two recepionists on the way up to the room with the guests, then, there is nobody left at the desk and if two receptionists are on the phone at the same time, then nobody would answer a third call coming in at the same time. Switzerland has the highest salary costs in the world and we have to pay the same salaries to everbody. We cannot, like in most countries of the world, pay less to foreigners. A receptionist is costing us per month of work CHF 6'000.- (over £ 4'000.-). This is 2x to 3x more than what is paid in other European countries. The salary costs in a Swiss resort hotel are about 45-50% of the total turnover. In Austria for example it is about 30%, in Asia below 20%. We also pay about twice as much for meat and all other kind of food, compared to Germany for example. To not make the story longer I can only tell you, that an even higher quality of service would lead to higher room costs, and with the acutal overvalued Swiss Franc, we do not consider it to be a good moment to raise the prizes. Our rates, since 10 years are about the same, and at that time, nobody complained, as the Pound Sterling was 2.50 to the Swiss Franc and not 1.40, like now. Our costs however, have gone up, the salaries for example, almost doubled.
In our restaurant, everybody prefers to get a window table. The tables in the middle of the restaurant are not dark, but of course not as bright and attractive as the tables at the window. Our regular guests, many are coming the 10th, 15th or 20th time to the Belvedere, are getting those window tables, as a kind of loyalty bonus. All guests can however enjoy a wonderful view the entire day from their room, from our lounges and terraces and of course outside in our wonderful nature.
Wishing you all the best and thanking you for having given me the possibility to explain certain things, which most people are not aware of, I remain
with best regards
Urs-B. Hauser
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

If you have high expectations for a family run old Swiss hotel you won't be disappointed in the Belvedere. The hotel is over 100 years old and though the exterior design shows thru, the interior finishes are as modern as you will find. All the reviewers mention the staff and I can only concur. Though first class it is not at all pretentious. Just friendly and service oriented. The Host/Owner who is ever present sets the tone. The restaurant is excellent made more so at dinner by an excellent piano player. Though the carte offers a six course menu I found the three course more than adequate. Close to the Bahnhof and bus station it is quite convenient but a bid secluded. They offer morning shuttle to the First & Mannlichen lifts and on a couple of occasions insisted that they take me to the train to Klein Scheidigg which would have been a short walk

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank swimmerjohn7
Dear Belvedere guest from North Carolina
I will be in your area in three weeks, thank you so much for having spent a few days with us. I hope you enjoyed your stay just as much as I enjoy your area.
I do not consider our hotel to be "luxury", I would call it more likely a cosy family run hotel of a higher standard. We are not located in the centre of town, however we think it is an advantage to be about 5 to 10 minutes walk away from the bustling centre. Also at night, it is an advantage to not have any bars nearby. And the view, I guess you agree, could not be any better. Thank you very much for the excellent review. We are looking forward to welcoming you back, be it summer or winter. Grindelwald is one of the few ski resorts, if not the only one, welcoming more guests in the summer than in the winter season.
All the best
Urs-B. Hauser & family and staff
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Arranged this hotel, with advice from Tripadvisor, last fall. We and our friends had an outstanding experience. Friendly staff, great rooms, excellent meals. What more to ask, oh yes, an incomparable view of the Eiger from our room. Great value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Terry H
Dear Belvedere guest from Vancouver.
I love your town, I hope to come back another time soon. You know, I once was an immigrant to Canada, but finally I decided to take over the business of my father, who already had taken over from his father, the founder of the hotel.
Thank you so much for the excellent review and thank you for having spent your holiday in Grindelwald in our hotel. We all hope to see you soon again, for example in the summer time, when Grindelwald offers meadows full of flowers, an incredible variety of fantastic excursions and a biking and hiking paradies.
With best regards.
Silvia & Urs Hauser, and staff
San Dimas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel when we were in Grindelwald for a few days of skiing in January. My double room was very spacious and the bathroom was also large with double sinks - in Europe rooms, and especially bathrooms, can be very compact They had large flat screen TVs in the rooms with lots of channels. I highly recommend the dining room for dinner. The food and service were excellent and there are beautiful views of the mountains. This is a family run hotel - they have lots of pictures near the front desk of how the hotel has changed over the years and the various family members involved. The staff is very friendly. You will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MarieDave
reception01, Geschäftsführer at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Belvedere guests from California.
thank you very much for the wonderful review. I hope you enjoyed Grindelwald and Switzerland just as much as I like your country and State. Our son Philp studied for one semester at the USC university and I myself have spent several month in your State, calculating all the visits together.
Yes, our hotel has a long tradition. My grandfather built the hotel from 1904 on, my father run it from 1956 to 1986 and since then, my wife Silvia and I are in charge. Also my sister Susan is part of the management team. The children, Philip and Carole are still at a business university in Switzerland, but one day, who knows, one of them might continue.
Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, be it winter or summer, I remain with best regards
Urs-B. Hauser with family and staff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days skiing this half term.The location was convenient for the station, the room was large, clean and comfortably furnished with a good outlook; the restaurant was spacious with great food and the spa was a great place to unwind after a tiring day on the slopes. In addition, the highlight were the friendly staff - nothing was too much trouble and everyone went the extra mile - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms to the south have a great outlook over the Eiger, but because the hotel is set slightly on an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank J Z
Ypcbeam, Inhaber at Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Belvedere guests from the UK.
Thank you so much for having chosen our hotel for your stay for half term. And thank you so much for having taken the time to write a great review. We are very glad to read, that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff did their utmost to make you happy. We hope you will return, how about coming a whole week next time ? Or how about in the summer season, when Grindelwald offers a lot of activites also, like biking, hiking, climbing, golf, tennis, adventure sports and an incredible variety of excursions. For sure a very healthy vacation in our pure mountain air, full of oxygen.
Looking forward to welcoming you back, we remain
with best regards