Derby Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bel Air Eden(Grindelwald)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Kreuz & Post(Grindelwald)
Hotel Caprice(Grindelwald)
  • Pool
Hotel Sonnenberg(Grindelwald)
View Hotel
All reviewsstation platformfondueexcellent locationswiss chocolatehalf boardtop floorconvenient locationski clubski areaski roomski holidayrestaurant staffyear after yearstandard roombalcony overlookingcomfortable roomfantastic stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We just returned from a 10 night stay at the Derby Hotel in Grindelwald, Switzerland. The first and most obvious advantage of staying at the Derby is it's proximity to the trains. It is right at the end of the rail line. You get off the train and walk right into the Derby. Everyone at the front desk was extremely helpful with any questions we had, and there were many! The room was perfect and the maid came everyday to tidy up. We had a room with a balcony that faced the Eiger, which is breath taking. The food and service in the restaurants in the hotel were also excellent, especially a server named Anna. She went above and beyond for us and we were and are very grateful. Everyone who works there speaks English so it was easy to communicate. I do not have enough room to express how awesome our stay was and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Eiger have a breath taking view of the mountain.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My first stay at The Derby was in 1995 and I have been back 10 times since then. This is a Swiss Family Style Hotel with the highest standard of service. The location is second to none as you have access to every ski area in the Jungfrau Region and The Country of Switzerland outside the front doorstep of The Derby. The Train is so quiet however, you wouldn't even know it was there. The Restaurant serves a superb 5 course dinner in a beautiful dining room with service that will keep you smiling all week. As far as Grindelwald goes, I've skied all over the States, British Columbia, France, Austria and Italy. Simply put, Grindelwald has it all for skiers and non-skiers. First and foremost, Grindelwald has the most beautiful scenery in the World! There are endless excursions for everyone in this winter wonderland. After 11 trips I am still finding new terrain to ski. To the staff of The Derby, I would like to say Thank You for making dreams come true! You are Simply The Best!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2013

we have been coming to the Derby for the better part of 14 years.. we have brought large groups and have traveled as a couple. We have never had a bad experience here. The train is not an issue and is in fact very convienient for travel to the ski areas. The hotel itself keeps the family swiss chalet atmosphere that i want when i travel here. The staff is wonderful and is always accomodating. for anyone wanting brand new modern surroundings.. stay home no place will ever satisfy you. The Derby and the people that work there are the reason we keep coming back. The trains stop fairly early and there are no night clubs nearby that would cause excess noise after hours. I am already making my reservations for next year.

Room Tip: We always ask for a room which faces the Eiger..... It is such a beautiful mountain.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

As an American on my first European ski trip, I quite enjoyed the Derby Hotel in Grindelwald. Here are some highlights and thoughts:

1. The staff is WONDERFUL. They'll bend over backwards to accomdate you - hotel and restaurant wise. Very friendly people who are multi-lingual.

2. The restaurant is great. Our plan included breakfast and dinner. While breakfast is certainly different from our overly greasy/fatty American breakfasts, dinners were wonderful. A wide assortment of very tasty dishes were provided and we delighted in the cuisine. We were able to enjoy a fondue night as well, and while it isn't my favorite dining experience, it is fun. (The cheese has a unique soft texture and pungent aroma that takes a little getting used to. And I hate leaving a restaurant smelling like the fry cook.)

3. Location! Right on the rail line, you just need to step outside to grab a train to the slopes or neighboring towns. The town is quaint, but alas, like most ski resort towns is fast becoming overly commercial. Expensive shops abound. The beautiful church at the upper part of town is open for visits - my fiance and I got engaged there! :) Ski lift tickets can be purchased at the train station. There is a sports center that has a wonderful swimming pool that we were able to enjoy. The view from the pool of the mountains is incredible!

4. The rooms: I've learned that European hotel rooms are ADEQUATE and charming. By American standards, they are small. Small bathroom, no tub, and small room. If you're spoiled then make sure you spend your money and buy the room you're used to. We got by, and really have no complaints. Also, our room was right near the train - I've read other reviews that complained about the noise. HUH? They're electric trains that coast in and out. You never hear them.

5. Internet connection: You must purchase 30 minute blocks. (A free pass is given when you arrive.) Sometimes the connection was fast, but many times I barely got 2 emails out before time expired.

6. THE VIEW. It was like staying inside a postcard! It was beautiful - every where you turned there was another breathtaking scene. We loved Grindelwald, and we recommend the Derby Hotel. For Americans, make sure you know whether your electronic devices have an input of up to 240 - and you bring adaptors. If you don't know, don't try. You'll blow up your device and blow hotel fuses!

Overall, we loved it. We can accept the smaller rooms - it's just the way things are. The hotel was clean, the staff was fantastic, and the food was great.

Room Tip: As mentioned above, I've read reviews where people complain about being on the train side. We were there and had no issues whatsoever.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Haunted_Mike
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a short review to recommend the Derby Barnhof Hotel to anyone considering a holiday in Grindlewald. I stayed there with my husband and brother during a skiing holiday. The hotel is comfortable in a traditional style and the food very good. For me it was the professionalism and the friendliness of the staff working at the hotel that made the visit outstanding. The customer service experienced during the visit was excellent. One of the best winter holidays to date.
A big thank you to everyone at the Derby Hotel