As an American on my first European ski trip, I quite enjoyed the Derby Hotel in Grindelwald. Here are some highlights and thoughts:
1. The staff is WONDERFUL. They'll bend over backwards to accomdate you - hotel and restaurant wise. Very friendly people who are multi-lingual.
2. The restaurant is great. Our plan included breakfast and dinner. While breakfast is certainly different from our overly greasy/fatty American breakfasts, dinners were wonderful. A wide assortment of very tasty dishes were provided and we delighted in the cuisine. We were able to enjoy a fondue night as well, and while it isn't my favorite dining experience, it is fun. (The cheese has a unique soft texture and pungent aroma that takes a little getting used to. And I hate leaving a restaurant smelling like the fry cook.)
3. Location! Right on the rail line, you just need to step outside to grab a train to the slopes or neighboring towns. The town is quaint, but alas, like most ski resort towns is fast becoming overly commercial. Expensive shops abound. The beautiful church at the upper part of town is open for visits - my fiance and I got engaged there! :) Ski lift tickets can be purchased at the train station. There is a sports center that has a wonderful swimming pool that we were able to enjoy. The view from the pool of the mountains is incredible!
4. The rooms: I've learned that European hotel rooms are ADEQUATE and charming. By American standards, they are small. Small bathroom, no tub, and small room. If you're spoiled then make sure you spend your money and buy the room you're used to. We got by, and really have no complaints. Also, our room was right near the train - I've read other reviews that complained about the noise. HUH? They're electric trains that coast in and out. You never hear them.
5. Internet connection: You must purchase 30 minute blocks. (A free pass is given when you arrive.) Sometimes the connection was fast, but many times I barely got 2 emails out before time expired.
6. THE VIEW. It was like staying inside a postcard! It was beautiful - every where you turned there was another breathtaking scene. We loved Grindelwald, and we recommend the Derby Hotel. For Americans, make sure you know whether your electronic devices have an input of up to 240 - and you bring adaptors. If you don't know, don't try. You'll blow up your device and blow hotel fuses!
Overall, we loved it. We can accept the smaller rooms - it's just the way things are. The hotel was clean, the staff was fantastic, and the food was great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The very walls that greet you as you approach the Hotel Derby are steeped in history. The "Hotel de la Gare" was built here by the legendary Captain Gsteiger at the end of the 19th century. The same underlying principle applied then as it does now: we want to offer our guests a holiday that will long remain with them as a happy memory. Just travelling to the Derby is a pleasure in itself. The journey by rail could hardly be easier. We are passionate about hospitality and welcome you with a very special combination of attention to details and unobtrusive service. Stylish rooms and suites offer you plenty of space to unwind, relax and take in the splendid Mountain View. All rooms offer view to the surrounding mountains and are equipped with shower or bath/toilet, satellite TV, minibar and safe. The junior suites additionally provide a separate sitting corner. Most of the rooms have a balcony. In total 4 restaurants are at your choice. Either for an elegant dining experience, a tasteful 5-course-menu, a hearty Swiss dish or one of the various fondue specialities, our knowledgeable staff will be happy to advise you and to complete your stay by an attentive service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Derby Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Derby Hotel Grindelwald