“One of the best hotels we have stayed at for a skiing holiday”
Review of Hotel Hirschen

Hotel Hirschen
Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Dorset
“One of the best hotels we have stayed at for a skiing holiday”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

We have just had a really enjoyable week at the Hirshen. Despite the fact that it was booked as part of a package we were given a front facing room on the 4th floor which meant we woke each morning to stunning views of the Eiger and along the valley towards the Jungfrau. The room was a good size, comfortable and very clean.

Our holiday was on a half board basis and the inclusive evening meals were excellent. It was a set menu of 4 courses which were well prepared and presented. The quality was really good and certainly beyond that which the 3 star hotel rating might imply.

Turning to the staff I can honestly say I cannot remember a better welcome than we received at the Hirschen. Everyone was really friendly and genuinely went out of their way to help.

We did have two gripes:
a) There is no lounge or bar area which means that after the meal you either had to stay at the table of you wanted a drink or venture out (no fun at -13 degrees)!!!
b) On the first night they had a 'welcome fondue' which was not held in the restaurant but downstairs in the room which also housed the skittle alley. The food was nice enough but the room was cold and not really suitable for dining. Call me a cynic but I could not help getting the feeling that it was more to do with freeing up tables in the restaurant on a busy Saturday for passing diners than any form of 'welcome'.

Nevertheless, the fact that I am still happy to give the hotel a 5 star rating despite the above gripes probably gives you some idea of how much myself and my wife enjoyed the rest of out stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We had a superior room on the top floor with wonderful views of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau. The room was large with a good balcony area.
The staff, particularly Birgit on reception were wonderful and all work very hard.
The breakfast was poor !! We tried dinner but that again was very average and we did not give it a second chance.
The owner needs to upgrade throughout - it is in a wonderful position and has tremendous potential. He seems totally uninterested in his business and his staff, in our opinion keep the hotel surviving !!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jasper57
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed October 1, 2009

This is the third time that I have stayed at the Hirshen and it is a great little hotel. It is centrally located and handy for the shops, the lifts and the train station. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean and many have great views of the Eiger. Overall the staff are friendly and attentive when you deal with either at reception or in the restaurant. If you are looking for a good three star option in Grindelwald then I would definitely suggest that you give the Hirschen a go.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2009

we stayed here in the Autumn of 2001 and decided to return for our winter ski trip this year. We had a fab time and the hotel and staff were as good if not better than our last stay. The rooms were very clean and the food we were served for our half board option was excellant. Skiing as ever was amazing. we stayed in Murren last year and skied the area round there with one day on Kleine Schidegg so this year we skied First and Kleine Schidegg. Grindelwald is a more economic option to Murren but no ski to door facility, so walking in ski boots to and from slopes.The only other downside to the hotel was a lack of a comfy seating area with bar. Guests sit in the restaurant with drinks after their evening meals, not very comfy!

• Stayed February 2009
Birmingham UK
Reviewed March 9, 2009

The Hirschen is very central in Grindelwald, on the main street - an easy walk from the station or the Firstbahn, and practically opposite the busstop.

It's a very welcoming place. After our very long trip, to arrive at the Hirschen was good enough, but the friendly welcome and reserved place in the restaurant were nice touches. The room (top floor, street side, balcony) was excellent, spotless and spacious with a double aspect.

A highlight had to be the restaurant. We were half board and dined in the Hirschen every night. We enjoyed the food and variety so much - everything uniformly good - some meals excellent - that we never once regretted our half board status.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed January 11, 2009

My family has been staying at this lovely, quaint, family run hotel in the Swiss Alps for over 20 years. I first visited with my mom when I had just graduated university. This past December, my son and I spent Christmas together at the Hirschen. I can say that it has not changed that much in all this time and that's a good thing.

We stayed in room 37, in the back building. Upon arrival we checked in immediately and were given an electronic key card (a new addition over the old "ball & chain key" since my last visit).

The room, although mostly the same has been upgraded with new carpeting and a new flat screen T.V., which is mounted on the wall. The views of the moutains have not changed, they are as majestic as always.

The room itself was cozy, had a double bed (really two twins pushed together). The duvets were warm and comfortable, but the heating of the room was always an even temperature. My son complained about the comfort of the matteress, but I found it pretty well the same one as we have been sleeping on throughout Europe.

We had breakfast in the second floor breakfast room each morning, which consisted of: cold cuts, freshly baked bread, rolls, and croissants. There was a bowl of fruit, several types of cereal, musli, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fresh cheese and milk and a choice of beverages: orange juice, hot chocolate, tea, coffee.

We were on the half-board plan so our room rate of $286 Swiss Francs included dinner for both of us. The food is amazing and we were able to meet a couple from Birmingham, England who sat beside us for the four days we were there.

One nice benefit when staying in Grindelwald hotels is the free access to the town's Sports Center, which is only about a 5-8 minute walk away. Each hotel will issue a "guest card" which includes access and complimentary transportation on all the buses in town. My son and I enjoyed the newly installed waterslide in the pool after a day of visiting the Jungfraujoch.

Tip for the pool: bring your room towels. When you arrive at the recreation center, as soon as you enter the door turn to the right. There is a small counter/window there. Show your guest card and you will be given an electronic card to enter the pool area. Each person will be given a card. Walk down to the pool entry and insert your electronic card. A small gold coin will be issued that you take with you into the change rooms. When you arrive at the change rooms you remove your shoes and socks and store them on a set of small shelves (or you can take them to a locker). The change rooms are co-educational, but changing stalls are provided that offer complete privacy. Use the small gold coin to operate a locker to store your clothes in. A key, with a wrist or leg strap, is provided. After swimming when you insert and turn the key in the locker the gold coin is returned. Save this coin as you will need it to exit the change room area.

The trip to the Jungfraujoch, although expensive, should not be missed, if the weather is clear. Visitors can take the first two trains up in the morning for a "good morning ticket" which is a cheaper rate. Still, it will cost over $100 for each adult for this trip, which takes pretty much the whole day to go up, explore, and then come back down. Every time I come to Grindelwald, I never miss the chance to go to Europe's highest train station.

My son and I did have an early morning train (6:19 a.m.) to travel onwards to Italy. Knowing that the front desk would be closed upon our check out (a sign states this on the desk) I settled my account the evening before and simply dropped the electronic room key in the box on the front desk as we left.

Overall, there are so many good, family run, small hotels in the town. Years ago, my family were fortunate enough to stumble upon this one. Twenty years later, the Bleur family still sends my parents a Christmas card each year. It was nice to return "home" for another visit to our Swiss friends.

• Liked — Quaint charm, views, food in the restaurant.
  • Disliked — No internet access. (there is at the Sunstar hotel and the sports center in town)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank YYZAC
Devon, UK
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We came home with very warm feelings about this hotel where we spent eleven nights, and we have sampled quite a number of nice hotels, mostly (but not entirely) in Austria.

We were met, and warmly welcomed, at Grindelwald Station by the hotel manager with a people carrier, and taken what would have been a five minute walk to the hotel. The receptionist was efficient, and very kindly.

Without exception, all of the staff we came across were friendly. We gained the distinct impression that this was a happy workplace, and that was reflected in the cheerful and relaxed way in which the staff engaged with residents.

There was no choice in the menu. That said, the food was always first class, very varied, imaginatively and attractively presented, and nicely cooked. This made the evening meal always something to be looked forward to in mouth-watering anticipation.

Breakfast, also, offered a great variety - various cereals, breads, croissants, rolls, meats, cheeses, yoghurt, prunes (to which I am nearly addicted) - with many sorts of tea to choose from, or a pot of coffee. I found that I was eating so much breakfast that it pretty well lasted me the day! That was as well, for packed lunch could be ordered, but was not particularly cheap.

There were some families with (well behaved !) children, and the staff were very kind to the children.

These were some of the plusses.

On the down side, when we were shown to our room, we were taken across a sort of back yard into a chalet. That just did not feel right for the beginning of a holiday. The room was a bit dark and there were only six coat hangers for the two of us in the wardrobe. Our view was of some flats at the back of the hotel.

But the room was very quiet, and we were never disturbed at night. There were two easy chairs in the room - which meant we could both sit and read there if we were not, for some reason, going out. But they seem to specialise in 40W bulbs, and do not seem to have heard of 20W low energy bulbs which would have made it so much eaier to read - or to plan the next day's walking route.

The bed was very comfortable, though, and bed linen, towels, etc. were always scrupulosly clean (towels - un-necessarily, I thought, - were changed every day).

The bathroom was super! Brilliantly lit, so that I could see every blemish on my ageing countenance. The shower was the best behaved I have ever encountered: powerful, with an easily controlled temperature.

When we finally left, the duty receptionist left her desk and came out on to the pavement to wave goodbye. That made us feel special.

If we go back to Grindelwald, we shall stay here again because the one thing that counts above all else is the warmth and friendliness with which one is treated. Full marks for that.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff; the food.
  • Disliked — Room a bit dark, and no view.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)