“Lovely hotel, if a bit faded”

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel Regina Grindelwald
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
London, UK
“Lovely hotel, if a bit faded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Lovely hotel in the centre of Grindlewald with amazing views of the Eiger and Jungfrau. Breakfast was very nice - great selection of meats and cheese, eggs if you want.

Bar was very nice - excellent barman. The spa was really fantastic - massage treatments were quite reasonable for Switzerland and very good.

Rooms were nice if a bit tired - not really 5 star. Also extremely hot!

Room Tip: Ask for an Eiger view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank VLS234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

I had been on a tour to Europe last winter and trust me this was the best hotel of all we stayed in.. The Rooms are spacious.. Bathrooms are royal.. 10 on 10 for this hotel.

Very friendly Staff here.. location is also good.. had a walk as early as 6 am in the morning on all the days we stayed there.. very scenic..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vipulrjain
basel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

We had a weekend night here with family of four in two rooms. A hotel from a bye gone era with thoughtful renovations.
The location is perfect for all arriving by train or going up to the jungfrau region for outings or skiing. Good service, nice spa. would go again.

• Stayed February 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon, having visited Grindelwald many times before, but wanting something more luxurious this time.

The hotel staff were always friendly and helpful (sometimes too friendly - it would have been nice to get 10 minutes to ourselves in the bar!), the hotel is spotless, and our room was serviced twice a day, always being left immaculate. The pool and spa were fabulous, clean, tidy and mostly deserted. Bar, lounge and restaurant were lovely, with stunning views, and breakfast was tasty and plentiful. We received a free room upgrade, wine and chocolates on arrival, just the icing on the cake!

So, the downside.... Food in the restaurant was ridiculously overpriced (even taking into account the Swiss ability to over charge for everything), and the standard in no way lived up to the price. Oh, and the double bed was two single mattresses.... Great for your honeymoon!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Louwilson1
Jena, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Pros:
Location - 2 min walking from the train station, 3 min walking from the ski bus
Staff - always kind and helpful
View - amazing from the hall, the restaurant and the room facing South

Cons:
Furniture - to be renovated, probably great in the 70-80's but not meeting international standards anymore
Accessories - no free wifi available, no boiler in the room
Restaurants - the offer is quite poor

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank madpal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I love the toiletries in Hotels, here they are mean, they didn't replace them daily. Only one complimentary bottle of water on arrival. The breakfast was varied and great breads. No complimentary tea and coffee in rooms, this I missed,like my cuppa in the morning. Well placed for transport. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Itsmemaxina
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

In Aug 2011, I took a 3 week holiday to Runnymede, London, Paris, Grindelwald and Dubai. When my fren first suggested going to Switzerland and Grindelwald, I had no idea where and what is Grindelwald.
And when he said that we will be staying at Grand Regina Hotel, I had to turn to TripAdvisor to find out what kind of hotel was Grand Regina.
To my dismay, Grand Regina was ranked very lowly. I was definitely apprehensive about going to stay at Grand Regina. However, I am posting this review first instead of the other establishments I have stayed in the other cities because I think Grand Regina deserves a good review.
Firstly, it is located very near to the train station. It is just a 1 minute walk away. This is very important because I had much luggage after all the shopping in London and Paris. I was able to manage to bring all the luggage without assistance. And it was a long day from Charles De Gaulle to Grindelwald. One important thing, despite its proximity, I did not hear the noise of the trains. Maybe Swiss trains are quiet!
Compared to Belvedere, Grand Regina is much closer to the train station. And Hotel Gletschergarten is totally out of the way. BUT it is very next to the gorge. One of the attractions in Grindelwald. The bus stop is also very nearby. Just a 2 minute walk away. So you can take a bus and go for a bus tour kinda thing. Which we did on the last day. Took the bus and went to Grosse Scheidegg (Sorry, spell wrongly!?) and back. Had a beautiful view of the mountain (Wetterhorn if I am not wrong!).
The view from Grand Regina is fantastic. I have a absolutely stunning view of the snow capped peaks of the mountains. It is unblocked. And I see the green valleys dotted with Swiss chalets. And I see the trains going up to Jungfraujoch (they become really small) and at night, I see the a light up in the mountains where the lookout gallery is at.
Of course the room with the view cost more. But I think it is worth every penny. From where I come from, we don't get such views. EVER! It was breathtaking. Maybe because the hotel was established way back like in 1890s (If I am not wrong! But I am very sure the hotel is many many time older than me!), it managed to find the best plot of land to build this hotel and secure the view.
The restaurant was service was impeccable. Very European. Very posh. The food presentation was very good. Even at breakfast when I order an omelette, it comes garnished with baby tomatoes and cucumbers. I did not get this at Hyatt Regency London or Intercontinental Le Grand Paris. I had dinner there thrice and the food did not disappoint. From where I come from, food from restaurants seem very "manufactured" as most food are cooked at central kitchens and restaurants just heat up the food and serve to customers. At Grand Regina, the food is prepared after order has been taken and I really appreciate the effort they made to prepare the dinner. I truly do.
In any case, I have to wait for my food but I get to enjoy the view from the restaurant and simply soak in the old world charm of the restaurant. They actually lay out all the silverware and light candles. Yes, I don't get that much back home. Even when I pay as much for dinner at home.
Dinner is definitely not cheap. But I think it is a decent price to pay for a formal dinner. Good food, good service, good atmosphere and good effort. I din dress formal though! Haha.
We stayed for 5 nights and by the 2nd day, the staff at reception knows us by our name. The waiters and waitresses recognize us well. So it was very personalised kind of service I felt.
The rooms were clean. The bathrooms were clean. The room was of a decent size (the room came with a study room, sofa and small TV).
I guess the things I din like was the outdoor pool. Not the cleanest! But the indoor pool was ok (from the looks of it and other guests were having a good time!).
And maybe some cobwebs here and there. But nothing major for a person who is terrified of insects and creepy crawlies.
And the room was locked by a key. Not a card key. But a real key. How retro is that! Haha, but I guess it adds to the quaint charm.
So all in all, it's a good hotel to stay. I think it costs a pretty penny but everything costs a pretty penny for me in Switzerland! Haha. I had CHF 8 cup noodles and I just bought 2 cup noodles for CHF 1(after conversion) from a supermarket at home! The exact same brand! Ok, I had a craving for noodles on top of Jungfraujoch.
Yup, so keep up the good work Grand Regina! I am sure we will stay with you guys again! (When my currency becomes stronger against your Swiss Franc! Haha. Just kidding!)
Anyway, apologies for any wrong spelling mistake. I try my best! I don't speak German or French!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends