“Excellent Food, Fantastic View”
Review of Sonnenhof

Sonnenhof
Ranked #3 of 52 Restaurants in Gstaad
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The local developer Beat Matti recommended it. He was right ! it is one of the best price/quality ratio of the Gstaad Area. The view is absolutely phenomenal over the middle montains of the "Bern Oberland". The food is absolutely delicate and light. I appreciated the summer Austrian Deer (chevreuil). Perfectly cooked and without any heavy sauce. We get a summer truffle salad very was tasty which is rare with the cheaper "summe"r variety. The Sander fish was perfect. The service was attentive . The flowers of the garden were also beautiful. The clients were not as sophisticated (some say snobish) than in the pedestrian main street of the Gstadd village. I was delighted. It is cheaper than the normal Gstaad restaurant, which still mean expensive for the non local resident. I recommend it 100%

2  Thank gerovital
There are newer reviews for Sonnenhof

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Travelling along the narrow drive, one wonders what sort of restaurant can succeed in this out of the way place. Then you see the view across the Saanenland which cannot fail to impress. But it's the food and service that will keep people trekking to it. Chef greets his clients warmly, and serving staff are friendly and efficient. The food is beautifully presented and wonderful on the palate. I won't bother to single any dish out as they were all fantastic. We're planning our return already.

1  Thank GPLove
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Me and my wife had the pleasure to get inspired by the magnificent food of this high-class restaurant. The entrance, with the presentation of the 16 Gault&Millau points of the Sonnenhof, gave us extra motivation to enter and discover one of the best restaurant of the region.
As far we entered, the staff welcomed us in a very kind way. Then, the restaurant owner and Chef, came to our table (and also to the other guests) to greet us and to welcome personally.
We got a glass of prosecco with cassis, as starter turkey breast "à la calabrese" (a little bit spicy) and as main course Beef Filet on hot stone (perfectly cooked) with traditional rösti + vegetables - Beef filet stroganoff with rice duplex. To end the lunch in the sweetest way, we got a particular dark chocolate mousse (excellent) and catalan cream (a blast of goodness).
So, resuming, the location is awesome (with an unforgettable view on the village of Gstaad + surroundings), the Chef + staff + management --> perfect, the food, simply GREAT... seems to be all perfect, why not. The final Bill? Considering all, the quality, the location, the service, the place (Gstaad is a symbol of luxury), the amount could be even higher (comparating with other gault&millau restaurants near there).
We suggest this restaurant to everyone wo wants to enjoy a great meal, alone, with partner or family. What will be sure is that you won't forget so easily this food.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I were introduced to this place by my father in law when visiting him in January as he regularly visits the restaurant.

We were blown away by the atmosphere and overall experience. The restaurant is cosy, yet modern and perfect for those cold winter evenings. We both had the steak which was such an unusual experience to cook your own and the rosti.. the best we have ever had.

Go... you will want to return!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I love this restaurant and absolutely have to go each time I am in Gstaad. Their fillet that comes warm on a piece of slate is so delicious. And so was the tuna carpaccio I had. The crowd is always good there and we were 25 people and the service was impeccable. The wine list also merits a mention. The bill was atrocious but hey, it is Gstaad after all.