“My perfect home from home”
Review of Le Grand Bellevue

Le Grand Bellevue
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I absolutely loved this hotel. We were welcomed with a drink immediately. The service and friendliness were outstanding without being imposing. It is a design hotel so the rooms are very large and modern. Not only does this hotel have free wi-fi throughout, you can also hire an ipad and its free! so is the minibar! It is at the edge of town so about 5-10 mins walk into the centre.

Room Tip: De luxe and above have walk in shower. Bacony sizes vary from non existent to very large. There is a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CathieO3
LGBgstaad, Inhaber at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Daniel Koetser and I recently acquired (last year), and am now managing the Grand Hotel Bellevue. We have also renamed the hotel to "Le Grand Bellevue". I noticed that you and a number of other very kind guests have made reviews over the years which had not been replied to, and so in a rather generic way I wished to let you know that the property has been renovated once more, and I do hope you may have the time to visit again!

Reviewed March 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Bellevue for 5 nights on a recent ski trip to Gstaad. The hotel is in a terrific location in town, near all of the restaurants and shops; remarkably convenient.

The room was spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was top-notch - nice shower, the most high-tech toilet I've ever seen and granite/marble abound. One nice feature, the bathroom had a speaker that was integrated with the Bang and Olufsen stereo, so you can listen to music while you get ready to head out.

The staff at the Grand Hotel Bellevue always made an effort to ensure our utmost satisfaction. They achieve an ideal level of attention and privacy; someone is always available to assist, but not overwhelmingly present.

Breakfast at Prado, the hotels Michelin-rated restaurant was always enjoyable, so we decided to eat their for dinner on our last night. We opted for the tasting menu and drank a nice bottle of wine from their extensive list. Every single bite of food at Prado was amazing; innovative, fresh and marvelously tasty.

I would definitely recommend the Grand Hotel Bellevue - it exceeded all expectations.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We did not stay here but for dinner and cocktails this place is a must, one word comes to mind Elegant, great food and wine list, Uber friendly staff a great place to relax (real open fire) after a great day's Skiing !!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 19, 2012

We had an amazing stay at the Grand Hotel Bellevue. From the moment we arrived, the service was second to none. Our room was fabulous. It wasn't in the main building and was huge with a balcony overlooking the mountains. Bathroom to die for and all in all a superb and memorable visit. The only downside was the hairdressers - who charged CHF150 for a blowdry. My own fault for not checking the price first - but didn't take the shine off a really great stay at a fabulous hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Wonderful hotel. From the free pick up at the train station until they dropped us off again. We had a large room, to accommodate an extra bed, huge balcony with plenty of snow beside it to cool some drinks. The mini bar, although small, is included. Breakfast was cooked each morning to our liking in a mitchien star restaurant. The drinks at the bar were expensive but relative to gstaad. The spa and pool are beautiful. I especially liked the fact that kids were incouraged to splash all they want as long as its between 2-4 pm. Highly recommend this place, the staff, location and ambience are amazing.

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is a very well run hotel. Great service, great location, just a few steps from the village, very nice rooms.......nice everything, in fact. And yes, it's Switzerland, so you expect prices to be stupidly high......and so they are. But as we brought our baby with us, the one thing I did NOT expect was to be charged 80 Swiss Francs a DAY because the baby was sleeping in the room.

Over our one week stay, we therefore were charged 560 francs ($700) extra for the privilege of having our baby in the room. This just really seems mercenary, as the reality is that it costs the hotel nothing for a guest to have a baby in the room. Maybe it's just me, but as 99% of the time it's FREE to have your baby in the room, this really left a sour taste in my mouth. We stay at 5* hotels a LOT, and I don't remember ever being charged a penny for the baby. A minor issue, perhaps...but still, money is money!

Anyway, apart from that....we tried the Michelin starred restaurant, and found the food generally good, despite some of the reviews here. I like classic French cuisine, and normally don't like this kind of food, food that is tortured into odd shapes, and all of the effort seems to go into how things look, not how they taste. This was a bit better than average, in that some of the dishes actually DID have nice flavours......though we had much better tasting food at several of the local restaurants in town. But if you insist on supporting the trend of chefs who prefer presentation over taste, you could do worse than this place.....at about 150 Francs a person with very modest wine. But it's only a 5 minute walk into the heart of the village, where there are good places to eat everywhere you look!

The room service breakfasts are world class, as is the gym/spa. There's a handy little cinema downstairs with a choice of 100s of films to watch, which is a nice little bonus.

Ultimately, it comes down to a choice of this place or the Palace if you are staying in Gstaad. I've stayed in both.......and they are quite different in personality. I'd probably opt for the Grand, given the choice, though it's a fairly close call. One thing the Palace suffers from is being up a very steep hill, and not THAT close to town, so expect a very "lively" walk home every night, if you choose to go into the village for the evening. The Grand is right there....a couple of easy minutes, and no hill.

One tip is that if you get a "forest view" room, you'll pay MUCH less than a "park" view room, and there is no way that the extra cost, which can be almost double, is worth it. The views are almost non-existent, as it is completely flat outside this particular hotel, so why the park view (meaning you'll look out on the grounds of the hotel) is worth almost double that of looking at the trees on the back of the hotel is indeed a question. Again, it's a matter of value. For 20% more, you could understand the difference. For double, we're back to the issue (as with the baby) of feeling taken advantage of. I actually own a couple of hotels myself, and there has to be some logic to the price structure of things...you don't charge $1 for an apple, and $25 for an orange, for example. The difference in room rates in no way reflects the true difference in what you get...so I'd stick with the less expensive option and spend the extra few hundred Francs a day in one of the very good restaurants in the village.

So overall, a very nice place, with a few flaws, all relating to money. Not bad, really, as the only complaints that I have are financial, and if you simply don't care about money, the Grand will seem exceptional to you. If like me, you appreciate the feeling of not being taken advantage of, you may find yourself a bit miffed occasionally....but still appreciate what a well run property this is.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Johnb8

Dear Johnb8,

Whilst I recognize that your children may have grown up somewhat, please know we have become particularly kids friendly, with a kids club in winter, new kids room and other child friendly initiatives. I do hope you may return at some point and try our property again!

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Wonderful hotel, perfectly furnished with amazing service. We used it as a base to go to some of the Menuhin festival. Incredible Sauna and Spa area. Only shortcomings: The hotel is quite close to the old main road, we found it a bit loud say to sleep with open windows for that reason. Also, the Michelin starred restaurant was below par - very very slow service and worst just next to a bar with live entertainment. So having dinner after the classical concert, accompanied by the bass felt dreadful. The management took care of this turning the sound somewhat down, but this is the one design flaw we made out.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Steinersing

Daniel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gstaad
The Alpina Gstaad
#1 of 15 in Adelboden
HUUS Hotel Gstaad
HUUS Hotel Gstaad
#5 of 21 in Gstaad

Been to Le Grand Bellevue? Share your experiences!